Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > best broadband service in NZ?

best broadband service in NZ?

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:33:27 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
>
>> As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
>> any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
>> for HS data..

>Stick to what you know Woger, ADSL does the job a lot better than you
>give it credit for. Once you've owned a DSL connection for a period of
>time your viewpoint will be valid, until then STFU.

I do read this news group and see all the problems with ADSL, but it seems
that you have never tried cable of live in a dump of a place that does not
have it.

That is you problem not mine..

A Phone cable was never meant for HS data, plus the distance limitations..

Dave - Dave.net.nz

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
> As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
> any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
> for HS data..

what was it made for then Roger?

EMB

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

> I do read this news group and see all the problems with ADSL, but it seems
> that you have never tried cable of live in a dump of a place that does not
> have it.

I have had cable both in NZ and overseas. Generally it worked well and
performed as advertised, but it is shared bandwidth so performance
issues can easily arise.

Strangely enough Woger, with this being a group that offers computer
knowledge, the bulk of the posts in here about any technology will be
either asking for help with problems, or announcing something bleeding
edge. As such you simply can't form a meaningful opinion as to
something's reliability based on postings in this group.

I look after about 50 ADSL coonections for clients and friends. Any
problems (and there have only been a few) have either been with dead
hardware (as can happen to all hardware), procedural errors on telecom's
part (not a problem with ADSL per se), or general routing problems which
once again are not ADSL related.

> That is you problem not mine..
>
> A Phone cable was never meant for HS data, plus the distance limitations..

And cable was introduced as a TV transmission medium - does that make it
less use as a data network? No it doesn't but it's not a viable option
in low population density areas - my father has ADSL at 4.5km from the
exchange in a rural area and it works fine. The chances of anyone EVER
installing CATV there are zero - 10 potential subscribers for 10km of
cable just wouldn't be viable. However ADSL is here, now and works on
existing cabling - as such it's a far better technology in a practical,
real-world sense even though CATV may look technically better on paper.

C'mon Woger, take off the blinkers and look at the real world - just
becasue you have cable (and IIRC can't get ADSL where you are) doesn't
change the relative merits of either system. Try reading a bit outside
this group, but still in NZ - it'll help the S/N ratio and give you a
more realistic view of the HS internet options.

--
EMB

steve

Josh Boardman wrote:
> Hi nz.comp,
>
> I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
> looking at changing to a DSL connection.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
> best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
> eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
> of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
> and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
> take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
>
> Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
> patterns.
>
> Thanks folks!

I've found Jetstream Plus ADSL with a non-Telecom ISP to be good.

ONly got to 10GB once in the past year.......downloading TV episodes for
a series not on the tube locally.

steve

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> At the moment(and Im gonna be flamed for this), I'd go Telecom 2Mbit,
> and probably with Xtra.

I agree with you but for the Xtra part.

If you want a static IP and to be able to run your own
servers.....forget Xtra.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, Josh Boardman wrote:

> Hi nz.comp,
>
> I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
> looking at changing to a DSL connection.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
> best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
> eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
> of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
> and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
> take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
>
> Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
> patterns.
>
> Thanks folks!

I'd recommend the 1 GB/month plan.. and see how you go. It's free to
change the plan upwards (and downwards) I think, so you stand to lose
nothing and gain a bit.
I'm on the 1 GB plan and I'm sure I've done at least 3 -4 times that (if
not more). Remembering of course Telecom can slow me down at anytime for
busting the cap

Josh Boardman

EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<d1biuo$937$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Josh Boardman wrote:
> > Hi nz.comp,
> >
> > I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
> > looking at changing to a DSL connection.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
> > best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
> > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
> > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
> > and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
> > take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?

> Stick with dialup and keep sponging off the taxpayer by using AuckUni
> resources for anything that matters!

Thanks for the tip mate.

*sponge* *sponge*

taipan@ihug.co.nz

wrote:

> >Hi nz.comp,
> >
> >I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
> >looking at changing to a DSL connection.
> >
> >I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
> >best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with

an
> >eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
> >of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my

email
> >and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
> >take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
> >
> >Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
> >patterns.
> >
> >Thanks folks!

> Saturn Cable..

Hmmm, I checked their website and it looks a bit too expensive for me,
and besides it's not available in Auckland at the moment. But thanks
for the suggestion.

--
Josh