Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > best broadband service in NZ?

best broadband service in NZ?

Josh Boardman

Hi nz.comp,

I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
looking at changing to a DSL connection.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?

Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
patterns.

Thanks folks!

--
Josh

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Josh Boardman wrote:
> Hi nz.comp,

Hi Josh...

> I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
> looking at changing to a DSL connection.

wise decision, if you feel it is the right time, you go for it.

> I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
> best service.

Best service means different things to different people.
From a helpdesk perspective, smaller ISPs seem to have more helpful
helpdesks, but bigger ones normally have less issues.

Take Xtra for example, their helpdesk are trained monkeys... I know, I
used to be one of them, but their services hardly ever go down, meaning
that if you are even mildly technical, you may never have to deal with them.

> I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
> eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
> of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that...

Gaming usually requires a stable connection rather than raw speed, so
one with less lag would be better than one that is say faster, but prone
to spikes. In saying that, a 256k connection would be about the slowest
I'd use for gaming, so 256k+ should be what you're after, which leaves
you with the choice of three things.
Telecom 2Mbit DSL
Telecom 256kbit DSL
non-Telecom 256kbit DSL
Or Cable if in areas of Wellington or chch

At the moment(and Im gonna be flamed for this), I'd go Telecom 2Mbit,
and probably with Xtra.

> I do most of my email
> and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
> take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
> Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
> patterns.

hmmm, browsing at work...
umm, by the sounds I do about the same as you, and the most I have
downloaded is ~8Gbyte, with average being ~5-6.

Patches for games are getting kinda huge, so expect your first month
gaming to be rather high usage, unless you already have all the updates
for games, or download and burn to CD at work if allowed.

taipan@ihug.co.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Best service means different things to different people.
> From a helpdesk perspective, smaller ISPs seem to have more helpful
> helpdesks, but bigger ones normally have less issues.
>
> Take Xtra for example, their helpdesk are trained monkeys... I know,

> used to be one of them, but their services hardly ever go down,

meaning
> that if you are even mildly technical, you may never have to deal

with them.

Sounds good, I hardly use helpdesk support, preferring to try and work
things out myself using the web or Usenet. Been lucky so far.

> > I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
> > eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like

World
> > of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that...

> Gaming usually requires a stable connection rather than raw speed, so

> one with less lag would be better than one that is say faster, but

prone
> to spikes. In saying that, a 256k connection would be about the

slowest
> I'd use for gaming, so 256k+ should be what you're after, which

leaves
> you with the choice of three things.
> Telecom 2Mbit DSL
> Telecom 256kbit DSL
> non-Telecom 256kbit DSL
> Or Cable if in areas of Wellington or chch
>
> At the moment(and Im gonna be flamed for this), I'd go Telecom 2Mbit,

> and probably with Xtra.

Hehe, is Xtra the local whipping boy here? I was actually leaning
towards the same thing myself, but alas, their free join-up offer
expired at the weekend, so I'll have to wait until they offer it
again... The big selling point for me was the fact that you can go over
your limit and not have your speed cut, although paying for each MB
over 10gig sounds kind of expensive. My trouble is that I get kind of
addicted to flashy new games, and end up spending hours in front of the
screen <gulp> I'm just nervous about my first bill.

> hmmm, browsing at work...
> umm, by the sounds I do about the same as you, and the most I have
> downloaded is ~8Gbyte, with average being ~5-6.
>
> Patches for games are getting kinda huge, so expect your first month
> gaming to be rather high usage, unless you already have all the

updates
> for games, or download and burn to CD at work if allowed.

They sure are, and the demos...!! sheesh! I couldn't believe my eyes,
200MB+ is common these days! Luckily, I do have access to DVD burning
at work, so it's not an issue.

Thanks heaps for all your comments Dave, and your quick response.

--
Josh

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Josh Boardman) wrote:

>Hi nz.comp,
>
>I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
>looking at changing to a DSL connection.
>
>I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
>best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
>eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
>of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
>and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
>take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
>
>Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
>patterns.
>
>Thanks folks!

Saturn Cable..

Gordon

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, Josh Boardman wrote:

> Does it
> take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?

Nope.

Axle

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Josh Boardman) wrote:
>

>>Hi nz.comp,
>>
>>I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
>>looking at changing to a DSL connection.
>>
>>I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
>>best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
>>eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
>>of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
>>and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
>>take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
>>
>>Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
>>patterns.
>>
>>Thanks folks!

> Saturn Cable..

TelstraClear and Saturn have completely screwed the paradise operation
they started with by de peering from peering exchanges so they can
charge international rates for what should be national traffic.
Steer clear of this company.

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:17:15 +1300, Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
>> On 16 Mar 2005 22:56:09 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Josh Boardman) wrote:
>>

>>>Hi nz.comp,
>>>
>>>I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
>>>looking at changing to a DSL connection.
>>>
>>>I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
>>>best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
>>>eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
>>>of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
>>>and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
>>>take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?
>>>
>>>Any feedback is welcome, especially from people with similar usage
>>>patterns.
>>>
>>>Thanks folks!

>> Saturn Cable..
>>

>TelstraClear and Saturn have completely screwed the paradise operation
>they started with by de peering from peering exchanges so they can
>charge international rates for what should be national traffic.
>Steer clear of this company.

As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
for HS data..

Axle

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:17:15 +1300, Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

>>>Saturn Cable..
>>>

>>TelstraClear and Saturn have completely screwed the paradise operation
>>they started with by de peering from peering exchanges so they can
>>charge international rates for what should be national traffic.
>>Steer clear of this company.

> As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
> any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
> for HS data..

It used to be good, but its run by dickhead Australians now.

EMB

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

> As Saturn is the Only Cable service that was made for HS data you do not have
> any other choice, DSL is crap and a hack, to many drop outs and was never made
> for HS data..

Stick to what you know Woger, ADSL does the job a lot better than you
give it credit for. Once you've owned a DSL connection for a period of
time your viewpoint will be valid, until then STFU.

--
EMB

EMB

Josh Boardman wrote:
> Hi nz.comp,
>
> I've been on this dial-up account for around 10 years now, and I'm
> looking at changing to a DSL connection.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions/opinions on who provides the
> best service. I'm looking for a high volume, high speed plan, with an
> eye to getting back into a bit of online gaming perhaps - like World
> of Warcraft or FarCry or something like that... I do most of my email
> and browsing at work (shhh!), so that's not as big a deal. Does it
> take long to reach the 10GB/month limit?

Stick with dialup and keep sponging off the taxpayer by using AuckUni
resources for anything that matters!

--
EMB