Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Network Problem

Network Problem

Rider

Well its a problem over a network. Up until yesterday, a client could open
files across their small network change the file then 'Save As' back to the
directory from where it came (off another pc on the network) Yesterday when
she tries to save the file, it tells her the location is inaccessible (even
thogh she opened the file from that location) or its password protected
(which it isn't) or it has a / or \ in the filename (which it hasn't). And
it won't save the file.

From a different computer on the same network this all works fine, and had
worked fine on her pc up until yesterday. She is using XP Pro and Office
2003.
Could an update have caused this? I've checked all the settings etc etc, but
nothing has changed from when I first put this pc on the network (which has
worked fine for over a week).

The folders she is accessing are all marked as 'full access' (its a Win98
box).

Anyone have any thoughts about this? Things to check? I've tried Googling
(maybe my search string was off base) and tried the MS Newsgroups with no
luck.

Any help is appreciated.

(I expect this will be something incredibly obvious)

Rider

JC

Is this page any help?
http://miataru.computing.net/office/...orum/4256.html

Rider

"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is this page any help?
> http://miataru.computing.net/office/...orum/4256.html

Thanks, it's one I haven't seen. It's a start anyway.

Rider

Steve

Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is it -
out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't have a
Card reader plugged in?

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9G3_d.10405$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well its a problem over a network. Up until yesterday, a client could

open
> files across their small network change the file then 'Save As' back to

the
> directory from where it came (off another pc on the network) Yesterday

when
> she tries to save the file, it tells her the location is inaccessible

(even
> thogh she opened the file from that location) or its password protected
> (which it isn't) or it has a / or \ in the filename (which it hasn't). And
> it won't save the file.
>
> From a different computer on the same network this all works fine, and had
> worked fine on her pc up until yesterday. She is using XP Pro and Office
> 2003.
> Could an update have caused this? I've checked all the settings etc etc,

but
> nothing has changed from when I first put this pc on the network (which

has
> worked fine for over a week).
>
> The folders she is accessing are all marked as 'full access' (its a Win98
> box).
>
> Anyone have any thoughts about this? Things to check? I've tried Googling
> (maybe my search string was off base) and tried the MS Newsgroups with no
> luck.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> (I expect this will be something incredibly obvious)
>
> Rider

Rider

news:nI6_d.10465$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is it -
> out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't have
> Card reader plugged in?

Its a basic setup. 4 machines using 192.168.1.*

Two machines are Win98SE. Other two are XP, one is Pro with Off 2003.

Nothing plugged in to them. Drives aren't mapped, some arent turned on for
days at a time.

She opens Network via desktop icon. Goes to the folder on the Win98 machine
where the documents are, opens a file. Changes the file, then tries to "save
as" .... it then brings up the error I mentioned. It hadnt being doing this
for the whole of the week previous (or just over a week). Should could
rename files and save them fine. Now it doesnt.

:$

Rider

bret@at.corn

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:29:43 +1300, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:nI6_d.10465$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is it -
>> out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't have
>> Card reader plugged in?
>>

>Its a basic setup. 4 machines using 192.168.1.*
>
>Two machines are Win98SE. Other two are XP, one is Pro with Off 2003.
>
>Nothing plugged in to them. Drives aren't mapped, some arent turned on for
>days at a time.
>
>She opens Network via desktop icon. Goes to the folder on the Win98 machine
>where the documents are, opens a file. Changes the file, then tries to "save
>as" .... it then brings up the error I mentioned. It hadnt being doing this
>for the whole of the week previous (or just over a week). Should could
>rename files and save them fine. Now it doesnt.

Read only attribute on the file she is trying to overwrite ?

Rider

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:29:43 +1300, "Rider"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:nI6_d.10465$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> Is it a drive mapping you're trying to save to? what drive letter is
>>> it -
>>> out of curiosity - and how high up do your local drives go? you don't
>>> have
>>> Card reader plugged in?
>>>

>>Its a basic setup. 4 machines using 192.168.1.*
>>
>>Two machines are Win98SE. Other two are XP, one is Pro with Off 2003.
>>
>>Nothing plugged in to them. Drives aren't mapped, some arent turned on for
>>days at a time.
>>
>>She opens Network via desktop icon. Goes to the folder on the Win98
>>machine
>>where the documents are, opens a file. Changes the file, then tries to
>>"save
>>as" .... it then brings up the error I mentioned. It hadnt being doing
>>this
>>for the whole of the week previous (or just over a week). Should could
>>rename files and save them fine. Now it doesnt.
>>

> Read only attribute on the file she is trying to overwrite ?

Nope, checked the attributes. I wish it was that simple.

Rider

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9G3_d.10405$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well its a problem over a network. Up until yesterday, a client could
> open files across their small network change the file then 'Save As' back
> to the directory from where it came (off another pc on the network)
> Yesterday when she tries to save the file, it tells her the location is
> inaccessible (even thogh she opened the file from that location) or its
> password protected (which it isn't) or it has a / or \ in the filename
> (which it hasn't). And it won't save the file.
>
> From a different computer on the same network this all works fine, and had
> worked fine on her pc up until yesterday. She is using XP Pro and Office
> 2003.
> Could an update have caused this? I've checked all the settings etc etc,
> but nothing has changed from when I first put this pc on the network
> (which has worked fine for over a week).
>
> The folders she is accessing are all marked as 'full access' (its a Win98
> box).
>
> Anyone have any thoughts about this? Things to check? I've tried Googling
> (maybe my search string was off base) and tried the MS Newsgroups with no
> luck.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> (I expect this will be something incredibly obvious)
>
> Rider

This is now fixed. There is a security update, KB885250 which creates this
problem. Uninstall the update and all is working as it should be.

Rider