Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > OK....lemme have it.....

OK....lemme have it.....

steve

The fan on my Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 video card gave up the ghost
yesterday....and I know I can replace it (and will....) but it provided
a convenient excuse to upgrade the card for UT 2004, Doom 3 and Halflife
2 etc..etc...

So I read some reviews and looked at the price ranges......and I have
ordered a:

Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT GV-N66T128D 128MB

Anyone use this card?

Tell me how great it is - please.

(or not)

Ta

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT GV-N66T128D 128MB
> Tell me how great it is - please.

only read good things about them...
Sure they'll be bigger better faster ones availible either now or
shortly, but it's good now, which is the point.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT GV-N66T128D 128MB
>> Tell me how great it is - please.

> only read good things about them...
> Sure they'll be bigger better faster ones availible either now or
> shortly, but it's good now, which is the point.

and if you no longer want it, can I have the Ti?

steve

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>>> Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT GV-N66T128D 128MB
>>> Tell me how great it is - please.

>> only read good things about them...
>> Sure they'll be bigger better faster ones availible either now or
>> shortly, but it's good now, which is the point.

> and if you no longer want it, can I have the Ti?

I tend to retire hardware downscale through my SETI/CPDN server farm.

The one that will fall out the bottom this time is a GF2-MX400 perhaps 5
years old.

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:31:45 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The fan on my Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 video card gave up the ghost
>yesterday....and I know I can replace it (and will....) but it provided
>a convenient excuse to upgrade the card for UT 2004, Doom 3 and Halflife
>2 etc..etc...
>
>So I read some reviews and looked at the price ranges......and I have
>ordered a:
>
>Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT GV-N66T128D 128MB
>
>Anyone use this card?
>
>Tell me how great it is - please.
>
>(or not)
>
>Ta

I don't think it has Temp monitoring..

There are a few 6600 AGP cards now around $300 and even lower..

Plus do you have stacks of Spare Watts.

cowboyz

steve wrote:
> The fan on my Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 video card gave up the ghost
> yesterday....and I know I can replace it (and will....) but it
> provided a convenient excuse to upgrade the card for UT 2004, Doom 3
> and Halflife 2 etc..etc...
>
> So I read some reviews and looked at the price ranges......and I have
> ordered a:
>
> Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT GV-N66T128D 128MB
>
> Anyone use this card?
>
> Tell me how great it is - please.
>
> (or not)
>
> Ta

Nope. Its crapTM. Sent it my way and I will swap you for a quality S3
trio 2MB PCI Video card.

steve

cowboyz wrote:

> Nope. Its crapTM. Sent it my way and I will swap you for a quality S3
> trio 2MB PCI Video card.

If the package is ticking when it arrives.....open it anyway.

-=[Waylon Smithers]=-

steve wrote:
> The fan on my Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 video card gave up the ghost
> yesterday....and I know I can replace it (and will....) but it provided
> a convenient excuse to upgrade the card for UT 2004, Doom 3 and Halflife
> 2 etc..etc...
>
> So I read some reviews and looked at the price ranges......and I have
> ordered a:
>
> Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 6600GT GV-N66T128D 128MB
>
> Anyone use this card?
>
> Tell me how great it is - please.

Yes, it's good value for the price. It'll do the games thing quite
nicely thank you, and not overly tax your system. Unless you're running
a 286 with a 150w power supply.

~misfit~

steve wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> only read good things about them...
>>> Sure they'll be bigger better faster ones availible either now or
>>> shortly, but it's good now, which is the point.

>> and if you no longer want it, can I have the Ti?

> I tend to retire hardware downscale through my SETI/CPDN server farm.
>
> The one that will fall out the bottom this time is a GF2-MX400
> perhaps 5 years old.

I could be interested in that. If you want to quit it and don't expect too
much for it please email me, misfit with an Orcon addy. (Put GF2-MX400 as
the subject, I get a lot of spam but I'll see that).

Thanks,
--
~misfit~

steve

-=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:

> Yes, it's good value for the price. It'll do the games thing quite
> nicely thank you, and not overly tax your system. Unless you're running
> a 286 with a 150w power supply.

Good!

This system is an AMD XP 2800+ (2.0?GHz) with 512MB 266 MHz DDR RAM and
a nice, fast mobo.

Good enough....