Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Debian Reduced

Debian Reduced

Shane (aka froggy)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/

seems the release delays are going to be a thing of the past

Axle

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/
>

> seems the release delays are going to be a thing of the past

And a big thankyou to Telstraclear NOT!!!!!

Debian users on TelstraClear can now no longer access the official
Debian mirror site
Instead they get this notice
http://www.nzix.net/peerless/202.7.4.9/

Where has the FTP server gone?

You've been redirected to this page, because your ISP (Internet Service
Provider) does not peer with the WIX route servers in Wellington, and so
doesn't have a path to the Citylink FTP server. This affects access to
our Debian, Gentoo and OpenBSD mirrors, amongst others.
What can I do about it?

Glad you asked! If this is a recent occurence (ie, you previously had
access, and now don't), then you should definitely have look at
WhereShouldIComplain.
Background:

The various servers that Citylink run generate significant data traffic
- during the day, about 20Mb/s, at night, about 10Mb/s. At peak times,
it has moved as much as 700Mb/s of data. In the past, Citylink has
incurred significant (read, 6 figure) costs in delivering content from
the webcams to users. I've been told to never let that happen again.

Thus, it has become necessary for Citylink to configure some of our
services such that we don't run up a bill, by making access available
only to those entities that choose to peer on WIX. These services are
generally high volume, zero financial return services that Citylink has
setup because we use them for our internal operations. We make them
available to the wider community to encourage a competitive, vibrant and
strong telecommunications and information technology industry.

AD.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:29:43 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/

That seem too overblown. The other arches aren't being 'dropped', they are
moving to a two tier mirror and release system. They will still be
developed, but will no longer hold up stable releases. And this only
applies to the stable release Etch (supposedly 12-18 months away), Sarge
will still be the same.

> seems the release delays are going to be a thing of the past

What makes you think that?

They'll be something else holding it up next time round.

--
Cheers
Anton

Shane (aka froggy)

>> seems the release delays are going to be a thing of the past

> What makes you think that?
>
> They'll be something else holding it up next time round.

heh.. im using slackware... one guy gets sick (Pat V.) and the world stops :\
I thought sarge was supposed to be stable back in september
(I've been waiting for it for here)

AD.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:52:56 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> :\ I thought sarge was supposed to be stable back in september (I've been
> waiting for it for here)

Yeah, sounds familiar.

It sounds like the Sarge security infrastructure will be ready in a couple
of weeks. Hopefully that will let me switch some servers to Sarge. I'm
starting to get impatient about stuff like Postfix 2.1 and PHP 4.3 in
particular.

Workstations aren't a problem, Sid or Ubuntu will take care of them.

--
Cheers
Anton

thing

Axle wrote:
> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/
>>

>> seems the release delays are going to be a thing of the past
>>

> And a big thankyou to Telstraclear NOT!!!!!
>
> Debian users on TelstraClear can now no longer access the official
> Debian mirror site
> Instead they get this notice
> http://www.nzix.net/peerless/202.7.4.9/
>

> Where has the FTP server gone?

It is I assume there, what has happened is they have had to class
connections from Clear as International.

Also. if you do a traceroute to www.trademe.co.nz you will find it goes
via the USA and back via AT&T.

I have asked for an explanation of this from Clear and that I am not
being charged International traffic for a NZ National site.

If they are doing so, I wonder if I have any legal recourse?

regards

Thing

Chris Hope

thing wrote:

> Axle wrote:
>> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/14/debian_reduced/
>>>
>>> seems the release delays are going to be a thing of the past

>> And a big thankyou to Telstraclear NOT!!!!!
>>
>> Debian users on TelstraClear can now no longer access the official
>> Debian mirror site
>> Instead they get this notice
>> http://www.nzix.net/peerless/202.7.4.9/
>>
>> Where has the FTP server gone?

> It is I assume there, what has happened is they have had to class
> connections from Clear as International.
>
> Also. if you do a traceroute to www.trademe.co.nz you will find it
> goes via the USA and back via AT&T.
>
> I have asked for an explanation of this from Clear and that I am not
> being charged International traffic for a NZ National site.
>
> If they are doing so, I wonder if I have any legal recourse?

There was an article in the NZ Herald about this a few days back:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10113474

thing

Chris Hope wrote:
> thing wrote:
>

>>Axle wrote:

>>>And a big thankyou to Telstraclear NOT!!!!!
>>>
>>>Debian users on TelstraClear can now no longer access the official
>>>Debian mirror site
>>>Instead they get this notice
>>>http://www.nzix.net/peerless/202.7.4.9/
>>>
>>>Where has the FTP server gone?

>>It is I assume there, what has happened is they have had to class
>>connections from Clear as International.
>>
>>Also. if you do a traceroute to www.trademe.co.nz you will find it
>>goes via the USA and back via AT&T.
>>
>>I have asked for an explanation of this from Clear and that I am not
>>being charged International traffic for a NZ National site.
>>
>>If they are doing so, I wonder if I have any legal recourse?

> There was an article in the NZ Herald about this a few days back:
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10113474

hrmm...

Given the choice I think I would move from Clear, but lets see the
alternative is adsl which is telecom and the likes of Orcon.....some choice.

I have written to Paradise/Clear complaining, probably fall on deaf ears
though.

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

thing wrote:
> I have written to Paradise/Clear complaining, probably fall on deaf ears
> though.

the techs know, it's just the $$$ people that don't get it that free is
better than losing money(through losing customers and higher traffic
charges).

thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> thing wrote:
>
>> I have written to Paradise/Clear complaining, probably fall on deaf
>> ears though.

> the techs know, it's just the $$$ people that don't get it that free is
> better than losing money(through losing customers and higher traffic
> charges).

I know the techs know.....knowing one or two I know just how
un-impressed they are.....Citylink sure is annoyed....

If I had a practical choice I think I would move, due to Clear's actions
but I do not. Unless I go back to dial up and a new ISP. This would then
of course cost them lost revenue from a cancelled account and my phone
line engaged for hours thus using their resources....but that would be a
big pill to swallow....

If adsl was not via Telecom I just might....woosh is a no goer....

Interesting that Clear uses Linux and FreeBSD, seems its OK to sponge
OSes off others but otherwise use your monopoly to wring every penny you
can.

I wonder if raising a case to the office of Fair Trading would do
anything.....

regards

Thing