Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > More on 802.11b and eelctric fences.

More on 802.11b and eelctric fences.

steve

I think I've worked out what caused the improvement.

I recently changed antenna on the AP from 10dB directional to 7dB
omni-directional.

That, by itself, made no improvement.

But we also parked a steel-sided horse float opposite both the house and
garage such that the horse float may be able to reflect the signal
nicely from the antanna on the AP to the antenna between the house and
garage. As a billiard shot....the angles certainly look right.

May be falty logic here, but the combination of the omni-directional
antenna and the sheet of metal at the right angle may explain the
improvement......and the electric fences may or may not play some sort
of role....as it passes between the house and the horse float.

Whatever.....the WLAN now works better than ever.

The Other Guy

steve wrote:
> I think I've worked out what caused the improvement.
>
> I recently changed antenna on the AP from 10dB directional to 7dB
> omni-directional.
>
> That, by itself, made no improvement.
>
> But we also parked a steel-sided horse float opposite both the house and
> garage such that the horse float may be able to reflect the signal
> nicely from the antanna on the AP to the antenna between the house and
> garage. As a billiard shot....the angles certainly look right.
>
> May be falty logic here, but the combination of the omni-directional
> antenna and the sheet of metal at the right angle may explain the
> improvement......and the electric fences may or may not play some sort
> of role....as it passes between the house and the horse float.
>
> Whatever.....the WLAN now works better than ever.

I posted an additional response to your earlier 11b post in case you
missed it.

A 10dB directional antenna should perform better than a 7dB
omni-directional antenna for point-to-point communications, assuming it
is accurately positioned.

Your best bet, assuming you don't want to play with *BSD or Linux may be
to get a second AP supporting an external antenna, and position that
antenna outside. It may be possible to connect your other PCs on the
network via the outdoor antenna, but it is would be best to have one
inside and one outside. Note, if the AP has two antennas, you can't use
both, and you also need to configure the AP to send and receive via the
antenna you replace as often they only send using one.

The Other Guy