Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Bill Gates: a 21st century Robin Hood?

Re: Bill Gates: a 21st century Robin Hood?

Brendan

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:43:35 +1300, Bobs wrote:

>> Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general, where people are
>> generally stupid enough to listen to you. Keep your **** out of nz.comp.

> I will post wherever I want you obnoxious little nerd.

Yes you will - because you are a stupid person who delights in harassing
anyone else. You cannot stand it when people are not paying attention to
you. You are sad, weak, boring.

>> You are stupid enough to think that is 'business'; people with some modicum
>> of intellect recognise it as banditry.

> No, it's business.

It is by definition NOT business as it has done this illegally. Banditry is
an activity to which is has similarity.

No one important cares about your opinion on the subject. You have the
luxury of being wrong. The law makers do not. It must work first time.

Real people with actual intelligence have given you that right and made it
work. They knew there would be people like you. And they did it anyway.
Selflessness you could not dream of.

>> The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

> Yes, because Linux is such a user friendly platform. I'm sure Mrs Rogers
> can use it.

If she can use windows, she can use a desktop Linux.

>> Like your viruses and worms, do you ? You can thank bill for making it soo
>> easy.

> Never had a virus in my life.

You have lead a sheltered life. Which is not surprising.

>Can't blame Microsoft for peoples lack of technical skill.

It has nothing to do with 'technical skill' and everything to do with Ms's
stupid email program executing what it finds in email messages. It has
everything to do with Windows listening to certain ports on it's net
connection and executing whatever is sent to them.

>Windows may be more user friendly than Linux,

It is not.

>but even Windows requires a person to know the basics of computing.

Studies have been done. Desktop Linux's are not more difficult to learn
than Windows. But with Linux you get a more secure and reliable system that
is not tied to proprietary and expensive licenses and products.

--

.... Brendan

"Brevity is the soul of lingerie." -- Dorothy Parker

Note: All my comments are copyright 13/03/2005 12:48:19 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

E. Scrooge

"Bubba Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d0ui71$m2n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
> > "Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom....

> >>As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

> > He sure is.
> > For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made damn
> > sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each

other.

> > Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play

SVHS
> > tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you can

be
> > pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use

that
> > software on a PC.
> >
> > For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have to

do
> > and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run MS
> > provided software.
> >
> > Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1

only
> > DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the worst
> > example.
> >
> > E. Scrooge
> >

> And don't forget all the money Bill has helped make for anti-virus
> companies. Without him people would find it much harder to write viruses
> that did significant damage meaning people wouldn't have as much of a
> need for anti-virus software.

If each large PC maker had a different OS. Then all software would be a lot
more expensive, and some PCs might miss out on a compatible version for
their OS altogether.

You can only send emails to someone overseas all thanks to fully compatible
PCs and software.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9OAYd.9011$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Scrooge, here's an example of the pompous elitism I was talking about.

Brendan might as well be on another planet. He's hardly worth worrying
about.

E. Scrooge

Chris Hope

*sling wrote:

>> > He sure is.
>> > For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made
>> > damn sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with
>> > each

> other.
>> >
>> > Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even
>> > play

> SVHS
>> > tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and
>> > you can

> be
>> > pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can
>> > use

> that
>> > software on a PC.
>> >
>> > For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would
>> > have to

> do
>> > and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only
>> > run MS provided software.
>> >
>> > Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A
>> > region 1

> only
>> > DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the
>> > worst example.

>> And don't forget all the money Bill has helped make for anti-virus
>> companies. Without him people would find it much harder to write
>> viruses that did significant damage meaning people wouldn't have as
>> much of a need for anti-virus software.

> If each large PC maker had a different OS. Then all software would be
> a lot more expensive, and some PCs might miss out on a compatible
> version for their OS altogether.
>
> You can only send emails to someone overseas all thanks to fully
> compatible PCs and software.

So are you saying people who don't use Windows cannot receive emails
from people who do use Windows? Email compatibility has nothing to do
with 95% of desktops using Windows (if this were the case someone using
a Mac could not read an email from someone using a Windows PC). Email
has been around a longer than Microsoft has even been in business.

-=rjh=-

Bobs wrote:

> Even took my hard drive with
> XP Pro to the states with me and plugged it into a brand new machine and
> it ran fine. Plug and play with a brand new motherboard, cpu, ram, and
> video card and it booted up like nothing had changed.

How did that work? I thought XP has a HAL that makes doing that less
than straight forward? What's the trick?

cheers

Dave - Dave.net.nz

E. Scrooge wrote:
> You can only send emails to someone overseas all thanks to fully compatible
> PCs and software.

but they're standards, it has nothing(well, ok a bit) to do with which
OS/email client they're using

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-=rjh=- wrote:
>> XP Pro to the states with me and plugged it into a brand new machine
>> and it ran fine. Plug and play with a brand new motherboard, cpu, ram,
>> and video card and it booted up like nothing had changed.

> How did that work? I thought XP has a HAL that makes doing that less
> than straight forward? What's the trick?

if you have the same brand/type of Hdd controller, it is reletiuvly
easy... otherwise it makes it trickier.

Shane (aka froggy)

> You are wasting your time with these pathetic little geeks, McDuck. As I
> work in the industry, I see these elitist and envious little hacks all
> the time. They can't stand Microsoft and will never admit to it doing
> anything right. That's why I can't stand nz.comp. It's full of pompous
> little know it alls that think anyone who uses MS products is some kind
> of idiot.

If you hate nz.comp so much why do you continue crossposting to it?

\|/ ____ \|/
"@'/ ,. \'@"
/__|\__/|__\
\__U_/

Jay

> "Bubba Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d0ui71$m2n$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> E. Scrooge wrote:
>> > "Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > He sure is.
>> > For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made
>> > damn
>> > sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each

> other.
>> >
>> > Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play

> SVHS
>> > tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you
>> > can

> be
>> > pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use

> that
>> > software on a PC.
>> >
>> > For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have

> do
>> > and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run
>> > MS
>> > provided software.
>> >
>> > Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1

> only
>> > DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the
>> > worst
>> > example.
>> >
>> > E. Scrooge
>> >

>> And don't forget all the money Bill has helped make for anti-virus
>> companies. Without him people would find it much harder to write viruses
>> that did significant damage meaning people wouldn't have as much of a
>> need for anti-virus software.

> If each large PC maker had a different OS. Then all software would be a
> lot
> more expensive, and some PCs might miss out on a compatible version for
> their OS altogether.
>
> You can only send emails to someone overseas all thanks to fully
> compatible
> PCs and software.

POP/SMTP are components of the TCP/IP suite and nothing to do with
(transit-wise) Windows/non-Windows

Jay

> E. Scrooge

Max Burke

> Brendan scribbled:
> Studies have been done. Desktop Linux's are not more difficult to
> learn than Windows. But with Linux you get a more secure and reliable
> system that is not tied to proprietary and expensive licenses and
> products.

Advocacy for Linux does NOT require you to whine and bitch about Microsoft.
Advocacy for Linux does NOT require you to whine and bitch about Bill Gates
or how he spends HIS money.
Advocacy does NOT require YOU to whine and bitch about Windows.

The only thing wrong with Linux are the myths and legends (about Linux) that
so many of it's users believe in...

The only thing worse than the millions of Windows user that are unaware of
the need to protect their computers from attack on the internet, are the
millions of Linux users that believe they're immune from attack because
they're running Linux.....

Found Images