Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Bill Gates: a 21st century Robin Hood?

Re: Bill Gates: a 21st century Robin Hood?

David

Jay wrote:
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:4%wYd.8922$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Jay wrote:
>>
>>>"Bobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:EZtYd.8897$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>And given the advent of the .NET framework (MS innovation) these
>>>programmers can continue to write code in the language of their choice
>>>with zero loss of function.
>>>
>>>Jay
>>>

>>The only loss of function being the loss of the ability to run more than
>>one program at a time without buying a tonne of RAM, and the ability to do
>>something quickly.

> You might want to consider rewriting you code

Hmm. I could rewrite all my code into .NET and lose performance, and
have my users forced to download/install the runtime, or I can continue
using the Win32 API/with WTL and know that my code will work perfectly
and quickly on every version of windows released in the last 10 years,
and most likely in the next 10 years too. Microsoft always keeps as much
backwards compatibility as possible, otherwise people get angry when
they can't use their DOS checkout software on their new Dells
preinstalled with XP etc.
(AFAIK XP was the first mainstream, home-user Windows release which
wasn't based on DOS, they only reason they sold the notoriously crap
Windows ME when win2000 was also around was for backwards compatiblity
and user familiarity reasons)

Brendan

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:

> So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
> wouldn't be where it is today. Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
> would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
> Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
> good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general, where people are
generally stupid enough to listen to you. Keep your **** out of nz.comp.

Gates has done more to hold back computing due to his monopolistic games
than he ever did to advance it. There have been many examples of superior
ideas and systems before, during and since his monopoly that have not
gained acceptance because his company has deliberately used any foul means
to bankrupt them.

You are stupid enough to think that is 'business'; people with some modicum
of intellect recognise it as banditry.

The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

Like your viruses and worms, do you ? You can thank bill for making it soo
easy.

--

.... Brendan

Proof by importance: A large body of useful consequences all follow from the proposition in question.

Note: All my comments are copyright 12/03/2005 10:26:33 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Ryan Jacobs

Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom....

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:
>
>> So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
>> wouldn't be where it is today.

As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

> Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
>> would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
>> Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
>> good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

>Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general,

Yet, you neglected to notice the crosspost.

> where people are
>generally stupid enough to listen to you.

Lol, no........ the regs of nz.general are indeed stupid..... but
rarely does anyone listen to Bobs rantings.

> Keep your **** out of nz.comp.

Again, crossposting was in play here. Mabe time to get a proper
newsreader that informs you of the afore-mentioned affliction?

>Gates has done more to hold back computing due to his monopolistic games
>than he ever did to advance it. There have been many examples of superior
>ideas and systems before, during and since his monopoly that have not
>gained acceptance because his company has deliberately used any foul means
>to bankrupt them.
>
>You are stupid enough to think that is 'business'; people with some modicum
>of intellect recognise it as banditry.
>
>The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

Oh, and we KNOW that the linux fanatics NEVER tell lies. <sarcasm>.

>Like your viruses and worms, do you ?

What viruses and worms. I never seem to get these things. And yet they
are so rampant (according to the linux fanatics).

> You can thank bill for making it soo easy.

No, you can thank the uneducated masses who spread lies about security
issues, due to their ignorance and inablitity to secure systems.

Do you blame Henry Ford every time a drunk driver kills a pedestrain?

E. Scrooge

"Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom....
>
>>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:
>>
>>> So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
>>> wouldn't be where it is today.

> As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

He sure is.
For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made damn
sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each other.

Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play SVHS
tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you can be
pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use that
software on a PC.

For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have to do
and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run MS
provided software.

Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1 only
DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the worst
example.

E. Scrooge

Chris Hope

*sling wrote:

> "Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom....

>> As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

> He sure is.
> For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made
> damn sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with
> each other.
>
> Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even
> play SVHS
> tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you
> can be pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you
> can use that software on a PC.
>
> For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have
> to do and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will
> only run MS provided software.
>
> Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1
> only DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being
> the worst example.

Do you really believe that if IBM hadn't licensed Microsoft's DOS that
whatever company they chose wouldn't have ended up with dominance on
the PC platform? At the very least IBM would have ended up having
dominance of the desktop PC with OS2, which by many accounts was a far
better desktop GUI than Windows ever was.

Bubba Ray

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom....

>>As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

> He sure is.
> For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made damn
> sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each other.
>
> Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play SVHS
> tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you can be
> pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use that
> software on a PC.
>
> For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have to do
> and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run MS
> provided software.
>
> Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1 only
> DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the worst
> example.
>
> E. Scrooge

And don't forget all the money Bill has helped make for anti-virus
companies. Without him people would find it much harder to write viruses
that did significant damage meaning people wouldn't have as much of a
need for anti-virus software.

Bobs

Brendan wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:54:05 +1300, Bobs wrote:
>

>>So what? Without Microsoft the internet and computing in general
>>wouldn't be where it is today. Imagine a world with no Microsoft. There
>>would be dozens of competing standards all trying to get their noses in.
>>Like what the Roman Empire did for Europe, the power of MS has done more
>>good than harm for PC's and the rise of IT in the last 20 years.

> Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general, where people are
> generally stupid enough to listen to you. Keep your **** out of nz.comp.

I will post wherever I want you obnoxious little nerd.

> Gates has done more to hold back computing due to his monopolistic games
> than he ever did to advance it. There have been many examples of superior
> ideas and systems before, during and since his monopoly that have not
> gained acceptance because his company has deliberately used any foul means
> to bankrupt them.
>
> You are stupid enough to think that is 'business'; people with some modicum
> of intellect recognise it as banditry.

No, it's business.

> The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

Yes, because Linux is such a user friendly platform. I'm sure Mrs Rogers
can use it.

> Like your viruses and worms, do you ? You can thank bill for making it soo
> easy.

Never had a virus in my life. Can't blame Microsoft for peoples lack of
technical skill. Windows may be more user friendly than Linux, but even
Windows requires a person to know the basics of computing.

Brendan

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:48:42 +1300, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

> As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

He is not.

>>Crap. Quite simply bobs you should stick to nz.general,

> Yet, you neglected to notice the crosspost.

I neglected nothing. I simply did not think it relevant.

>> where people are
>>generally stupid enough to listen to you.

> Lol, no........ the regs of nz.general are indeed stupid..... but
> rarely does anyone listen to Bobs rantings.

exactly; he should stay in the asylym of nz.general, refrain from talking
about computers, and all would be well.

>> Keep your **** out of nz.comp.

> Again, crossposting was in play here. Mabe time to get a proper
> newsreader that informs you of the afore-mentioned affliction?

My news reader is superior to yours. Your petty baiting is beneath my
notice.

>>The lies his company tells about Linux are simply the latest example.

> Oh, and we KNOW that the linux fanatics NEVER tell lies. <sarcasm>.

Sarcasm only works when you have the wit to make it relevant.

You do not. A lesson for you:

1. The lies 'linux fanatics' may tell has nothing to do with the lies
Microsoft tells. One is not contingent upon the other, and neither gives
justification for the other.

2. I have yet to see any major linux organisation compareable to microsoft
tell lies of the magnitude microsoft has.

>>Like your viruses and worms, do you ?

> What viruses and worms. I never seem to get these things. And yet they
> are so rampant (according to the linux fanatics).

According to the companies selling anti virus software, and the people whom
I repair computers for.

Ryan, feel free to continue to make a burk of yourself. Really, feel free.

>> You can thank bill for making it soo easy.

> No, you can thank the uneducated masses who spread lies about security
> issues, due to their ignorance and inablitity to secure systems.

No, I will thank bill for leaving so much of the OS open to exploits via
networks.

> Do you blame Henry Ford every time a drunk driver kills a pedestrain?

Your analogy is in no way relevant. And if I thought you had the wit to
understand how, I would explain why.

--

.... Brendan

BORE, n. A person who talks when you wish him to listen. -- Ambrose Bierce

Note: All my comments are copyright 13/03/2005 12:17:05 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Bobs

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom....

>>As much as I hate to admit it - Bobs is right on this occasion.

> He sure is.
> For one thing the dominance of the main OS across most PCs has made damn
> sure that most PC can run completely compatible software with each other.
>
> Take the common VHS VCR it won't play BETA tapes and it won't even play SVHS
> tapes. It won't play CDs either. You buy software for a PC and you can be
> pretty sure as long as the hardware has enough grunt that you can use that
> software on a PC.
>
> For MS to be the evil empire that some people claim all MS would have to do
> and very well could've done is make sure that the MS OS will only run MS
> provided software.
>
> Even DVD players aren't as compatible as PC computers are. A region 1 only
> DVD player from the US would be a fat lot of good in NZ, being the worst
> example.
>
> E. Scrooge

You are wasting your time with these pathetic little geeks, McDuck. As I
work in the industry, I see these elitist and envious little hacks all
the time. They can't stand Microsoft and will never admit to it doing
anything right. That's why I can't stand nz.comp. It's full of pompous
little know it alls that think anyone who uses MS products is some kind
of idiot.

Basically they spout the same old tired crap over and over. "Gates
abuses his monopoly" is their favourite line. Along with the usual crap
about worms and viruses, all the while negleting to factor in that since
Windows has a 95% monopoly on desktop computers it makes sense that
virus writers would target it. Why would they target Linux? And as I
said earlier, I've never had a virus using Windows. All you need is
common sense, which sadly many people lack. That isn't the fault of Gates.

Oh yeah, and "Windows crashes all the time". Again, most likely due to
the fact that they have no technical ability. I've had Windows 2000
Server running for 2 years now, with no crashes. And by running, I mean
running 24/7. My Windows XP Pro on this machine has been on for 2 years
with no problems. Never had a blue screen or a crash outside of playing
a couple of buggy games. Solid as a rock. Even took my hard drive with
XP Pro to the states with me and plugged it into a brand new machine and
it ran fine. Plug and play with a brand new motherboard, cpu, ram, and
video card and it booted up like nothing had changed.

Bobs

Scrooge, here's an example of the pompous elitism I was talking about.