Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > news.individual.net

news.individual.net

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes you can get all headers and a
heap of messages before being prompted for auth?
I found that if you set the news server to induvidual.net instead of
news.individual.net it sometimes takes hours to ask for auth, which to
me seems a little odd, I'd have thought that it should ask for auto
beofre handing out anything... although I have found that
newsgate.xprivat.org seems to allow no auth too

Gordon

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:24:00 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that sometimes you can get all headers and a
> heap of messages before being prompted for auth?
> I found that if you set the news server to induvidual.net instead of
> news.individual.net it sometimes takes hours to ask for auth, which to
> me seems a little odd, I'd have thought that it should ask for auto
> beofre handing out anything... although I have found that
> newsgate.xprivat.org seems to allow no auth too

News is not like e-mail, as in it is public. The auth is to stop unwanted
people, for whatever reason from usingit. Thus I see no problem with some
headers being handed out free, before auth ie.