Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to pull an IP Address

Unable to pull an IP Address

Dave

I have a NetGear 814V2 Wireless Router hooked up to my Motorola
Surfboard Sb5200 connected to Comcast. My one Laptop hooks wirelessly
without any problems and I can surf the net, do E-Mail etc. but my other
laptop will NOT pull an IP address.

The "problem" laptop sees my Wireless router when I check in "Symbol
Mobile Companion" but I cannot get it to pull down an IP address. When
I check on the "Attached Devices" page of the Router configuration it
doesn't list the "problem" laptop as being connected. I have triple
checked that the correct WEP key is entered on the Laptop an also tried
it with encryption switched off but still no IP Address!

Any ideas or pointers?

WiFi card is a Symbol Technologies Spectrum 24 802.11b (same as in other
Laptop and YES I have switched it out for a "known good")

Router is a NetGear 814V2

O.S. is Windows 98
Laptop not currently firewalled.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?=

Look in the network connection on the laptop that doesn't work and see what
the settings are for TCP/IP. They should be set to "Obtain an IP address
automatically" Also, make sure your router has enough IP addresses to assign.

MD

"Dave" wrote:

> I have a NetGear 814V2 Wireless Router hooked up to my Motorola
> Surfboard Sb5200 connected to Comcast. My one Laptop hooks wirelessly
> without any problems and I can surf the net, do E-Mail etc. but my other
> laptop will NOT pull an IP address.
>
> The "problem" laptop sees my Wireless router when I check in "Symbol
> Mobile Companion" but I cannot get it to pull down an IP address. When
> I check on the "Attached Devices" page of the Router configuration it
> doesn't list the "problem" laptop as being connected. I have triple
> checked that the correct WEP key is entered on the Laptop an also tried
> it with encryption switched off but still no IP Address!
>
> Any ideas or pointers?
>
> WiFi card is a Symbol Technologies Spectrum 24 802.11b (same as in other
> Laptop and YES I have switched it out for a "known good")
>
> Router is a NetGear 814V2
>
> O.S. is Windows 98
> Laptop not currently firewalled.

TW

Comcast uses MAC filtering. When you run their software to install the
connection, It registers the MAC address of your computer within the
surfboard. They do this so you can only use one computer with this
connection.

Here's the workaround.

You need to connect to your admin page on your router and "clone" the MAC
address of the computer that has access (the one you ran the Comcast
software on).

Then plug the ethernet cable from the surfboard to the WAN port on your
router. Using the WAN port creates two networks, the network between the
router and the surfboard and the network between your local network or LAN
and the router. The router performs NAT(network address translation)
services that translate local addresses to the routers address(and MAC
address) to the surfboard.

Make sure you enable DHCP on your router and DNS forwarding.

Using this method the surfboard thinks it is connected to a single computer
but in fact it is connected to your router. The router does all the routing
between your computers and the surfboard(using NAT). The surfboard wont know
the difference.

I have used this and it works. Try it
TW

news:(E-Mail Removed)...