Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sysfader Error

Sysfader Error

Rider

Has anyone come across a "Sysfader: Explorer.exe - Application Error"
warning message.

This comes up when you try and go to Control Panel, My Computer, Windows
Explorer .... basically anything that requires Explorer.exe to work.

The complete error message also states that memory address ********* couldnt
be written to. Then you get an option to click 'Ok' to get rid of the
message or click 'Cancel' to debug. If you click 'Cancel' it doesnt debug
.... it just locks up completely. If you click 'Ok' to get rid of the
message, the desktop refreshes itself (the icons disappear and then
reappear, I expect Explorer.exe is being restarted)

I have scanned the hard drive externally for viruses and spyware ....
nothing.
I have searched Google and found a few sites regarding this error, most
havent been able to fix it ... the few that had suggestions I have tried and
it still hasnt fixed.

I have tried sfc /scannow ... I have tried reinstalling IE6 as suggested by
one website. I've now got to the point where a reload might be the only
option, which for various reasons I'm not that keen on.

Anyone have any idea's? Any help is appreciated.

Rider

PS: I can't even find a 'sysfader' file on the pc.

akiwi

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:51:24 +1300, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone come across a "Sysfader: Explorer.exe - Application Error"
>warning message.

From this link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828133
my guess this is a bug in windows that has random results, rather than
a virus - plus the fact that various people report various apparent
fixes.

>This comes up when you try and go to Control Panel, My Computer, Windows
>Explorer .... basically anything that requires Explorer.exe to work.
>
>The complete error message also states that memory address ********* couldnt
>be written to. Then you get an option to click 'Ok' to get rid of the
>message or click 'Cancel' to debug. If you click 'Cancel' it doesnt debug
>... it just locks up completely. If you click 'Ok' to get rid of the
>message, the desktop refreshes itself (the icons disappear and then
>reappear, I expect Explorer.exe is being restarted)
>
>I have scanned the hard drive externally for viruses and spyware ....
>nothing.
>I have searched Google and found a few sites regarding this error, most
>havent been able to fix it ... the few that had suggestions I have tried and
>it still hasnt fixed.

It probably won't help but did you see this suggestion to run xp disk
check/repair. Looks like this problem was around in 2002
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040846082

>I have tried sfc /scannow ... I have tried reinstalling IE6 as suggested by
>one website. I've now got to the point where a reload might be the only
>option, which for various reasons I'm not that keen on.
>
>Anyone have any idea's? Any help is appreciated.
>
>Rider
>
>PS: I can't even find a 'sysfader' file on the pc.

I saw it suggested sysfader is to do with xp menu fade.
Did you see this link?
http://blog.thedevins.com/archives/000838.php

akiwi

akiwi

Rider

"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:51:24 +1300, "Rider"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone come across a "Sysfader: Explorer.exe - Application Error"
>>warning message.

> From this link
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828133
> my guess this is a bug in windows that has random results, rather than
> a virus - plus the fact that various people report various apparent
> fixes.
>

>>This comes up when you try and go to Control Panel, My Computer, Windows
>>Explorer .... basically anything that requires Explorer.exe to work.
>>
>>The complete error message also states that memory address *********
>>couldnt
>>be written to. Then you get an option to click 'Ok' to get rid of the
>>message or click 'Cancel' to debug. If you click 'Cancel' it doesnt debug
>>... it just locks up completely. If you click 'Ok' to get rid of the
>>message, the desktop refreshes itself (the icons disappear and then
>>reappear, I expect Explorer.exe is being restarted)
>>
>>I have scanned the hard drive externally for viruses and spyware ....
>>nothing.
>>I have searched Google and found a few sites regarding this error, most
>>havent been able to fix it ... the few that had suggestions I have tried
>>and
>>it still hasnt fixed.

> It probably won't help but did you see this suggestion to run xp disk
> check/repair. Looks like this problem was around in 2002
> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040846082
>

>>I have tried sfc /scannow ... I have tried reinstalling IE6 as suggested
>>by
>>one website. I've now got to the point where a reload might be the only
>>option, which for various reasons I'm not that keen on.
>>
>>Anyone have any idea's? Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>Rider
>>
>>PS: I can't even find a 'sysfader' file on the pc.
>>

> I saw it suggested sysfader is to do with xp menu fade.
> Did you see this link?
> http://blog.thedevins.com/archives/000838.php
>
> akiwi

Cheers

I had seen two of those, but not the last one. Thanks for the help.

Rider

Rider

"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You probably checked these already
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T5BD345AA
>
> http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28260

I'd seen the first one but not the second. I think I try this solution from
one of the postersin the thread:

"fixed it, after swearing very loudly and throwing some discs across the
room"

I think thats my next best to try

LoL

Cheers

akiwi

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:00:58 +1300, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> You probably checked these already
>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T5BD345AA
>>
>> http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28260
>>

>I'd seen the first one but not the second. I think I try this solution from
>one of the postersin the thread:
>
>"fixed it, after swearing very loudly and throwing some discs across the
>room"
>
>I think thats my next best to try

I don't get how running virus/ spyware checkers in safe mode could fix
the problem - he didn't say that they actually found anything, and it
didn't solve the problem for the other guy. I guess you've tried
rebooting. Have you tried de-fragging? It might alter some timing.
If you get the problem consistently on every reboot you could try
disabling a few startup things and services, to see if anything makes
the problem go away. Are you overclocking? You could try a RAM test
but my experience with memtest86 was that it crashed if I moved the
mouse - I think the BIOS was using some RAM that was being tested.

akiwi

Rider

"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:00:58 +1300, "Rider"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> You probably checked these already
>>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T5BD345AA
>>>
>>> http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28260
>>>

>>I'd seen the first one but not the second. I think I try this solution
>>from
>>one of the postersin the thread:
>>
>>"fixed it, after swearing very loudly and throwing some discs across the
>>room"
>>
>>I think thats my next best to try
>>

> I don't get how running virus/ spyware checkers in safe mode could fix
> the problem - he didn't say that they actually found anything, and it
> didn't solve the problem for the other guy.

Yeah I agree - that seemed a bit odd.

>I guess you've tried
> rebooting. Have you tried de-fragging? It might alter some timing.
> If you get the problem consistently on every reboot you could try
> disabling a few startup things and services, to see if anything makes
> the problem go away. Are you overclocking? You could try a RAM test
> but my experience with memtest86 was that it crashed if I moved the
> mouse - I think the BIOS was using some RAM that was being tested.
>
> akiwi

Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a time
(which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off the
XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
this point.

I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around with
that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
necessary.

Thanks for help and suggestions.

Rider

akiwi

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:40:40 +1300, "Rider"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a time
>(which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off the
>XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
>rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
>this point.
>
>I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around with
>that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
>necessary.

just in case you didn't see this one ... about turning off
fade/transition effects, and mdm.exe - seems to be quite a few
"solutions" for this problem

Rider

"akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:40:40 +1300, "Rider"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a
>>time
>>(which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off the
>>XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
>>rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
>>this point.
>>
>>I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around
>>with
>>that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
>>necessary.

> just in case you didn't see this one ... about turning off
> fade/transition effects, and mdm.exe - seems to be quite a few
> "solutions" for this problem
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24363

Well after I ghosted it to another hard drive and using that ... I was able
to open Add/Remove Programs via the run command and running appwiz.cpl.

Nothing significant in the list of software. So I decided to uninstall
Service pack 2. I wasnt sure what this would do to the system though. After
it went through the uninstall and rebooted ... HEY PRESTO ... its fixed
LOL

I'll now reinstall SP2 and see if the error re-occurs.

I really appreciate the time and help you put in.

Cheers
Rider

Rider

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GOqYd.8856$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "akiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:40:40 +1300, "Rider"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a
>>>time
>>>(which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off
>>>the
>>>XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
>>>rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
>>>this point.
>>>
>>>I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around
>>>with
>>>that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
>>>necessary.

>> just in case you didn't see this one ... about turning off
>> fade/transition effects, and mdm.exe - seems to be quite a few
>> "solutions" for this problem
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24363
>>

> Well after I ghosted it to another hard drive and using that ... I was
> able to open Add/Remove Programs via the run command and running
> appwiz.cpl.
>
> Nothing significant in the list of software. So I decided to uninstall
> Service pack 2. I wasnt sure what this would do to the system though.
> After it went through the uninstall and rebooted ... HEY PRESTO ... its
> fixed LOL
>
> I'll now reinstall SP2 and see if the error re-occurs.

Reinstalled SP2 .... error has come back. I think a fresh reload is in
order.

Rider