Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL questions.

ADSL questions.

nrennie

Hi,

I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange. Does
anyone know what type of performance I might get.

In the real world, do people recieve better speeds with Telecom? Or with
Ihug?

And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
($2/hr)

Thanks,

Nick.

SteveM

"nrennie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:d0qef4$s4t$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
> Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
> expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange.
> Does anyone know what type of performance I might get.
>
> In the real world, do people recieve better speeds with Telecom? Or
> with Ihug?
>
> And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with
> a standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can
> with Ihug ($2/hr)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nick.

I doubt you will get any DSL if you have to connect to an exchange
15km away!

colinco

In article nrennie says...
> I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
> Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
> expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange. Does
> anyone know what type of performance I might get.

15km doesn't sound good.

Have you tried putting your number into the Telecom ADSL check page
http://www.telecom.co.nz/tools/1,390...202472,00.html

It works line speed based on theoretical calcs but at least it should
know where your connection will be to.

nrennie

Yeah, I've done that and it said it's available.

I did check about 6 months ago and it wasn't available then. Then yesterday
a bird living down the road said that she'd arranged to get it connected.
She's about 2 km closer to Thames than me.

Nick.
"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article nrennie says...
>> I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
>> Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
>> expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange. Does
>> anyone know what type of performance I might get.
>>

> 15km doesn't sound good.
>
> Have you tried putting your number into the Telecom ADSL check page
> http://www.telecom.co.nz/tools/1,390...202472,00.html
>
> It works line speed based on theoretical calcs but at least it should
> know where your connection will be to.

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:33:20 +1300, "nrennie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm looking at ditching Ultra and trying either Islugs bliink or Xtras
>Jetstream Swift. Both offer speeds up to (I know up to means "don't
>expect") 2Mbps. I'm living about 15 kms from the Thames exchange. Does
>anyone know what type of performance I might get.
>
>In the real world, do people recieve better speeds with Telecom? Or with
>Ihug?
>
>And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
>standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
>($2/hr)
>

>Thanks,
>
>Nick.

I thought you has to be 3kms away, I can't see how 15k would work.,

EMB

nrennie wrote:
> Yeah, I've done that and it said it's available.
>
> I did check about 6 months ago and it wasn't available then. Then yesterday
> a bird living down the road said that she'd arranged to get it connected.
> She's about 2 km closer to Thames than me.

I'd guess that Telecom have put a mini-DSLAM onto a lump of fibre
somewhere a lot closer to you than the exchange. They seem to have been
doing this quite a bit of late - a couple of my friends in rural areas
have suddenly had ADSL become available despite being significant
distances from the exchange.

--
EMB

Dave - Dave.net.nz

nrennie wrote:
> And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
> standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
> ($2/hr)

yep, $250 per hour

Shane (aka froggy)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:35:25 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> nrennie wrote:
>> And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
>> standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
>> ($2/hr)

> yep, $250 per hour

holy hell!
ive heard hookers charge less 8-}

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>>>And with the Xtra Jetstream can you still dial up on that account with a
>>>standard modem? Eg: A laptop if you're away from home. You can with Ihug
>>>($2/hr)

>>yep, $250 per hour

> holy hell!
> ive heard hookers charge less 8-}

umm, oops, misses a "."
that should have been $2.50/hour.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:17:59 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>>yep, $250 per hour

>> holy hell!
>> ive heard hookers charge less 8-}

> umm, oops, misses a "."
> that should have been $2.50/hour.

eww gross.. she missed a period now charges only $2.50 an hour :-O
(I even disgust myself at times)