Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > scanners

scanners

nova

can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
care of

spyware
malware
adware
keyloggers

etc etc

I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
care of it all.

Thanks for your suggestions!

The Other Guy

nova wrote:
> can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
> care of
>
> spyware
> malware
> adware
> keyloggers
>
> etc etc
>
> I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
> above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
> care of it all.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!

Linux. No I'm not serious, I hate Linux, use FreeBSD instead.

Seriously though, I'm not aware of any tool that can take care of
everything. That is really putting your trust in one specific bit of
software which may not always be reliable.

I've found ClamAV detects things that aren't normally considered
viruses, like dangerous JavaScript in the browser cache, and on one
occasion I got a "COPYING FOUND" warning... I'm not even sure what this is.

The Other Guy

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:03:34 +1300, nova <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
>care of
>
>spyware
>malware
>adware
>keyloggers
>
>etc etc
>
>I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
>above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
>care of it all.
>
>Thanks for your suggestions!

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

None at all.

Peter Lowrie

Some years ago a customer had a keypress virus that infected .com and .exe
files. After a bit of hunting around the system I found that the virus
scanner executable was the culprit. What had happened was the disc
developed a fault and a bit or two inside the .exe file were changed.
Although the virus-scanner exe ran, every time you booted another programme
it too became infected.

I opened the (now reinstalled AV scenner) in a hex editor an changed one bit
inside the executable, saved it and ran it. Lo and behold executables
started becoming infected with the keypress virus again.

It turns out that if so much as one bit of the AV scanner was changed it
mutated and became it's own virus host. The programme contained it's own
virus. Therefore I'm with Bill and I do not trust any viral software, so I
can recommend absolutely no AV scanners.

There are still some solutions to be had...Do not use a computer, do not
connect to the internet with a computer, do not install any software on a
computer, do not insert any floppies or CD's into a computer. Or use
Linux.

-Peter

nova wrote:
> can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
> care of
> spyware
> malware
> adware
> keyloggers
> etc etc
> I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of the
> above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that takes
> care of it all.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

steve

nova wrote:
> can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also takes
> care of
>
> spyware
> malware
> adware
> keyloggers
>
> etc etc

For Windows?

Good luck...

.....and i suspect you won't want to hear the best answer....

(I use Linux and don't have to worry worry about any of these things
except maybe a remotely planted keylogger.....which is unlikely, given
my firewall and physical security arrangements.)

Impossible

"nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> can anyone recommend a good virus scanner for windows that also
> takes care of
>
> spyware
> malware
> adware
> keyloggers
>
> etc etc
>
> I'm sick of running like 5 different applications to take care of
> the above so am hoping there is some decent software out there that
> takes care of it all.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!

Norton Internet Security is a pretty complete package. AV with spyware
and keylogger detection, firewall, anti-spam -- reguarly updated with
malware signatures.

Overall, switching from IE to Firefox is likely to drastrically reduce
the malware you're exposed to.

VLANs and scanners Pete Cisco 2 03-16-2006 01:04 AM
barcode scanners worked before SP2 =?Utf-8?B?c2x1ZGxvdw==?= Wireless Networking 1 08-23-2005 05:28 PM
Firefox & on-line virus scanners Geese_Hunter Firefox 0 04-01-2004 02:45 PM
Bar code scanners on a web application ? Mike Smith ASP .Net 1 03-01-2004 11:31 AM
Hiding a PIX from nmap and port-scanners. Francois Labreque Cisco 1 11-11-2003 06:42 AM

Advertisments