Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bought new dvd burner, what disks to use?

Bought new dvd burner, what disks to use?

Mrs Beeble Brock

Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed this:
http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/m...d=&sid=&rote=2

and went to my usual on-line store at
https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/...idCategory=305
and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
what's the - and + R business?

I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
new medium for me.

Collector»NZ

Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
> Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed this:
> http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/m...d=&sid=&rote=2
>
> and went to my usual on-line store at
> https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/...idCategory=305
> and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
> fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
> what's the - and + R business?
>
> I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
> new medium for me.

If you have a dual layer burner and you do you can use DVD 5 or DVD 9
blanks, I used DVD 5 as it is more economic than dual layer media.
I get my blanks from http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=18&s=DVD%20Media
and have found the Laser brand good in the 4.7 Gb -R type.
I use -R as it is for me the most compatible with stand alone DVD players.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Collector»NZ

Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
> Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed this:
> http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/m...d=&sid=&rote=2
>
> and went to my usual on-line store at
> https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/...idCategory=305
> and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
> fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
> what's the - and + R business?
>
> I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
> new medium for me.

In particular I use these
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVBLAS3150

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Mrs Beeble Brock

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
>
>> Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed
>> this:
>> http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/m...d=&sid=&rote=2
>>
>> and went to my usual on-line store at
>> https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/...idCategory=305
>> and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
>> fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
>> what's the - and + R business?
>>
>> I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
>>
>> Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this
>> mysterious new medium for me.

> In particular I use these
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVBLAS3150

Thanks COllector, I'll take a look.
Cheers,

Craig Shore

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:37:45 +1300, Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
>> Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed this:
>> http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/m...d=&sid=&rote=2
>>
>> and went to my usual on-line store at
>> https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/...idCategory=305
>> and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
>> fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
>> what's the - and + R business?
>>
>> I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
>>
>> Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
>> new medium for me.

>If you have a dual layer burner and you do you can use DVD 5 or DVD 9
>blanks, I used DVD 5 as it is more economic than dual layer media.
>I get my blanks from http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=18&s=DVD%20Media
>and have found the Laser brand good in the 4.7 Gb -R type.
>I use -R as it is for me the most compatible with stand alone DVD players.

-R is only slightly better in compatability with standard DVD movies players
than +R. I've tried some +RW discs in quite a few different brands of player
and haven't struck one that doesn't play them yet.

+R is a bit better when it comes to error correction, so if it's for data then
i'd say go for +R.

Duel layer has two recording layers on the disc, and holds more. Unfortunatly
there are a lot of compatability issues with normal DVD players, and the blank
discs are really expensive. At this stage unless you really need the extra
space you can just compress your video down more to fit on a single layer disc,
or split data across more than one disc.

Mrs Beeble Brock

Hi Craig, thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

S Roby

>. I've tried some +RW discs in quite a few different brands of player
>and haven't struck one that doesn't play them yet.

Theres allways an exception
Just my luck my recorder is +R,+RW & my
Panasonic DVD-S75 wont play +R & has problems with +RW
Its not hard to find a player that will play ANY disk however.