Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP64

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Did anyone else read that it may be released as soon as next month?

I read it in the IDF coverage, but can't find anything official on it.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Did anyone else read that it may be released as soon as next month?
> I read it in the IDF coverage, but can't find anything official on it.

heh, found another mention of it here.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21586
"Windows XP, X64 Edition is just around the corner. We played with
Release Candidate 2 recently and this one works just fine, very fast
with network browsing and just a little bit slower than Win 32 in
graphic. Maybe this new driver can match the performance or even make
things faster you never know. We reported earlier that you can expect
the official version in early April."

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

Shane (aka froggy)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 15:51:03 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Did anyone else read that it may be released as soon as next month?
>> I read it in the IDF coverage, but can't find anything official on it.

> heh, found another mention of it here.
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21586
> "Windows XP, X64 Edition is just around the corner. We played with
> Release Candidate 2 recently and this one works just fine, very fast
> with network browsing and just a little bit slower than Win 32 in
> graphic. Maybe this new driver can match the performance or even make
> things faster you never know. We reported earlier that you can expect
> the official version in early April."

heh I posted this a couple days back
but erm... at the risk of starting a flame war....
<puts flame proof vest on>
its good to see Windows finally catching up with *nix

on a serious note.. windows for clusters is going to be released by fall
http://news.com.com/Windows+for+supe...3-5598603.html
woah big url big url
http://tinyurl.com/634m8
which is aimed at 'being competitive with Red Hat'

also on that note according to the top500.org's list of top
supercomputers released in nov '04
windows was on the 194th biggest machine
and weta's two machines were 101 and 104 respectively (this last bit is
meaningless but any chance I get I love telling the world about wetas
machines being the shizznizz)

Peter

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
> also on that note according to the top500.org's list of top
> supercomputers released in nov '04
> windows was on the 194th biggest machine

It would be more interesting to know which OS is used on the top
supercomputers.

> and weta's two machines were 101 and 104 respectively (this last bit is
> meaningless but any chance I get I love telling the world about wetas
> machines being the shizznizz)

Do the supercomputers at Massey Uni make it to this list?
The website at www.top500.org says there are only 2 in NZ, so I guess these
are the weta machines?

Peter

Shane (aka froggy)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:38:19 +1300, Peter wrote:

> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>> also on that note according to the top500.org's list of top
>> supercomputers released in nov '04
>> windows was on the 194th biggest machine

> It would be more interesting to know which OS is used on the top
> supercomputers.
>
>> and weta's two machines were 101 and 104 respectively (this last bit is
>> meaningless but any chance I get I love telling the world about wetas
>> machines being the shizznizz)

> Do the supercomputers at Massey Uni make it to this list?
> The website at www.top500.org says there are only 2 in NZ, so I guess these
> are the weta machines?
>
> Peter

they were in the Nov '03 list

entry number 333 and 475
333 www.agresearch.cri.nz
475 New Zealand Dairy Board
44 Weta Digital
48 Weta Digital

Shane (aka froggy)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:51:24 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:38:19 +1300, Peter wrote:
>
>> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>>> also on that note according to the top500.org's list of top
>>> supercomputers released in nov '04
>>> windows was on the 194th biggest machine

>> It would be more interesting to know which OS is used on the top
>> supercomputers.
>>
>>> and weta's two machines were 101 and 104 respectively (this last bit is
>>> meaningless but any chance I get I love telling the world about wetas
>>> machines being the shizznizz)

>> Do the supercomputers at Massey Uni make it to this list?
>> The website at www.top500.org says there are only 2 in NZ, so I guess these
>> are the weta machines?
>>
>> Peter

> they were in the Nov '03 list
>
> entry number 333 and 475
> 333 www.agresearch.cri.nz
> 475 New Zealand Dairy Board
> 44 Weta Digital
> 48 Weta Digital

oops.. but in answer to your question.. they seem to have dropped off come
the june 04 list

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:38:19 +1300, Peter wrote:

> It would be more interesting to know which OS is used on the top
> supercomputers.

Agreed.

Divine

--
"A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

Shane (aka froggy)

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:53:34 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:51:24 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

>>> It would be more interesting to know which OS is used on the top
>>> supercomputers.

>>> Do the supercomputers at Massey Uni make it to this list?
>>> The website at www.top500.org says there are only 2 in NZ, so I guess these
>>> are the weta machines?
>>>
>>> Peter

>> they were in the Nov '03 list
>>
>> entry number 333 and 475
>> 333 www.agresearch.cri.nz
>> 475 New Zealand Dairy Board
>> 44 Weta Digital
>> 48 Weta Digital

> oops.. but in answer to your question.. they seem to have dropped off come
> the june 04 list

OS seems to be missing from the top machines.. most likely a proprietory
Unix (they are IBM and SGI after all)
The top listed machine with an OS named is number 18 Los Alomos National
Lab running Linux Networx (IIRC this is a hacked up linux for clusters)

Interesting to note is Cray's highest machine is number 29 Oak Ridge
National Lab (they were at one stage going to use SuSE on their machines
but backed out for reasons I dont know

AD.

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:54:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> OS seems to be missing from the top machines.. most likely a proprietory
> Unix (they are IBM and SGI after all) The top listed machine with an OS
> named is number 18 Los Alomos National Lab running Linux Networx (IIRC
> this is a hacked up linux for clusters)
>

> Interesting to note is Cray's highest machine is number 29 Oak Ridge
> National Lab (they were at one stage going to use SuSE on their machines
> but backed out for reasons I dont know

It comes down to whether you want a supercomputer or just a supercluster.

Supercomputers (eg Cray) have incredible internal bandwidth with very low
latency and all kinds of doodahs to help keep data synchronised.
Superclusters are just large numbers of smaller machines connected by
ethernet with some extra job control software - ie much cheaper.

Superclusters (eg Weta, Massey etc) only do well with tasks that can be
split into many many small pieces, where a smaller task can be sent to a
node to chew over for a while and then send the result back. Rendering
individual frames in a 3D movie is the classic example. Linux only
really runs in the cluster area.

Some problems just don't break down like that and require a proper
supercomputer.

--
Cheers
Anton

Shane (aka froggy)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 12:46:54 +1300, AD. wrote:

> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 18:54:28 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> OS seems to be missing from the top machines.. most likely a proprietory
>> Unix (they are IBM and SGI after all) The top listed machine with an OS
>> named is number 18 Los Alomos National Lab running Linux Networx (IIRC
>> this is a hacked up linux for clusters)
>>

>> Interesting to note is Cray's highest machine is number 29 Oak Ridge
>> National Lab (they were at one stage going to use SuSE on their machines
>> but backed out for reasons I dont know

> It comes down to whether you want a supercomputer or just a supercluster.
>
> Supercomputers (eg Cray) have incredible internal bandwidth with very low
> latency and all kinds of doodahs to help keep data synchronised.
> Superclusters are just large numbers of smaller machines connected by
> ethernet with some extra job control software - ie much cheaper.
>
> Superclusters (eg Weta, Massey etc) only do well with tasks that can be
> split into many many small pieces, where a smaller task can be sent to a
> node to chew over for a while and then send the result back. Rendering
> individual frames in a 3D movie is the classic example. Linux only
> really runs in the cluster area.

http://www.cray.com/products/programs/red_storm/
Its MPP (multiple parallel processor) w/ever that means ( a guess would
suggest its a fancy name for cluster)
When I first read about its inception (10,000 Opterons + SuSE) I was eager
to see it get off the ground.. but I havent heard much if anything since
except to say they have dropped SuSE for some reason
ps.. I wonder what games you can get for it