Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Direct to CD printing

Direct to CD printing

Bob McLellan

Assuming you are talking about an ordinary inkjet that 'by the way, can
print on CD's', the Epsons are ok.

Baranggay Ginebra wrote:
> My bubble jet printer just ran out out of ink
> and buying new ink cartridges cost almost half
> of what I can pay for a new printer. I figured, I'd rather
> buy a new printer with a new feature i.e. direct to CD/DVD
> printing.
>
> What can you can say about these printers that can print directly
> to CD/DVD ? Any particular brand you can suggest ?
>
> cheers

E. Scrooge

<BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:01:20 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz

(*sling)>
> wrote:
>

> ><BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:58:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> >> (*sling)>

than

and

http://qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?r=38416.7178...DDVD&ss=CDR+Pa
ck

wonder

> >> Imation & Verbatim do 50 CD Spindles..
> >>

> >> The trough in the Printer but rip you off for the Ink
> >>

> >> a Set of 6 tanks for the R210 will cost you some 70% of the price of

the
> >> printer.
> >>
> >> My next Tanks will be Jettec 30% more ink and 25% less cost..
> >>

> >> Go get a Canon i965 at around $2xx from Wellington Photographic's,
> >> last
> >> years model..
> >>
> >> Ink Tanks last longer and are a lot cheaper, Epson tanks leave 20%

ink
> >> left
> >> when stating its empty..
> >>
> >> From memory Canon use a Optical method for testing Ink levels..

> >Very good, Roger. I favour the Epson, but the Canon models are looking
> >pretty good as well.
> >
> >Using cheaper inks is fine, but will the prints last as long compared to
> >using genuine Epson inks? In these new printers the Epson inks might

give
> >better more lasting results. If other Ink compaines are using similar

inks
> >then it probably doesn't make much difference.
> >
> >E. Scrooge
> >

> Not with the R210 or R310 only uses New dye-based ink
>

> If you want longer life you have to get the R800 that uses New UltraChrome
> Hi-Gloss pigment inks or the printers that use EPSON DURABrite INK.
>
> Epson Tanks have a 2 year shelf life and a 6 months installed life, plus

you
> must power up the Epson once a week to clear the print heads.
>
> Yes I am a Epson user, 3rd model but you need to know how to mother them
>
> The Canon Tanks are $24 and $28.95 for the Epson from memory
>
> Epson Print heads do not burn out like the Canon, the Canon heads are

rated
> for 18 month use..

My old Epson Stylus colour is still going, though well behind in quality
these days. The good thing about it is that with the little use it gets
during the year apart from a few Christmas cards, the thing still works.
It's slowly paid back over the years the $1,700 that it cost when new. Even
the dirt cheap $7 colour cartridges from K-Mart (past use by date) when
bought still work well enough in it. Lucky to even still find a colour and
black cartridges for it.

With photos I want to do with a new printer, it will have been worth it's
cheap price as soon as it's done them.
I read about the R800 having good long lasting inks, but also even the inks
in the other cheaper models are better than they used to be to when my old
printer hit the market. The build quality of Epson seems to be of a good
enough standard. I've seen good sample pictures at Harvey Norman for both
Epson and Cannon models, only thing there's no actual proof that those same
model of printers actually printed those flash high quality samples provided
by Cannon and Epson. Odd thing about some of the Cannon samples is that
they were pretty heavy handed on the colour. I see Dick Smith has cheap
inks for Cannons, whether they're any good would be another matter, could be
**** quality as far as lasting goes. I'll probably go for an Epson, it's
not much of a risk at the cheap prices they're going for.

E. Scrooge

Mutley

"E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
>much other difference between it and the R210.
>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
>some models aren't about to be replaced.
>
>E. Scrooge

How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

Axle

Mutley wrote:
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
>

>>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
>>much other difference between it and the R210.
>>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
>>some models aren't about to be replaced.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

> How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
> when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

E. Scrooge

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
>

>>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't
>>see
>>much other difference between it and the R210.
>>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder
>>if
>>some models aren't about to be replaced.
>>
>>E. Scrooge
>>

> How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
> when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

Axle is right.
Also the US has a much bigger market, or did you think the total population
is about the same in both countries?

The same thing can be seen here for some products. How much is a large
bottle coke at a takeaway or small dairy? Now how much is the same size
bottle of coke in a supermarket that would order at least 1,000 of the
bottles of coke at a time?
If a takeaway had 1,000 bottles of coke there'd hardly be enough room to get
into the place. By only ordering a couple of dozen at a time the deal they
get would be nothing like the supermarket.
With the range of printers, and the small number of people that need a new
printer, they're hardly a fast moving item. In fact a lot of hardware is
hardly all that fast moving. You never see 20 customer walking out with 20
printers, or even 20 digital cameras. More like drip sales compared to the
high volume sales for other products like food and petrol.

The R210 is about $267(or 9), while the R310 is only $299 at Harvey Norman
at the moment. A Canon ip3000 is about $245. Epson inks claim to be ozone
resistant and long lasting, though the R800 inks have an even longer life.

For the quality of the prints anything for under $300 is pretty damn good
going. The ESC P2 with the amazing 720 X 720dpi was $1,699 when it was
first released. Bloody well built though, completely reliable even when not
in use for long periods of time.

If the cost is more important than the use you'll get out of it, then don't
bother buying it in the first place.

E. Scrooge

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:04:38 +1300, Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mutley wrote:
>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:
>>

>>>Apart from direct printing from memory card for the Epson R310, I don't see
>>>much other difference between it and the R210.
>>>The prices of printers have never been better these days. Make me wonder if
>>>some models aren't about to be replaced.
>>>
>>>E. Scrooge
>>>

>> How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
>> when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US, they
also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..

EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..

E. Scrooge

<BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:04:38 +1300, Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mutley wrote:

>>> How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
>>> when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

>>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

> But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US,
> they
> also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..
>
> EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..

It's an odd one all right, considering the market in NZ is far larger than
any other country in world. Hardly surprising that American retailers wish
they could sell as many Epson printers that NZ retailers do. Going by
latest government figures every household in the country owns 100 Epson
printers.

E. Scrooge

Axle

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:04:38 +1300, Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Mutley wrote:

>>>How do you figure that NZ $ 279 is a good cheap price for these things
>>>when you can buy them in the US after rebates for US$54???

>>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

> But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US, they
> also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..
>
> EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..

Yeah, they get a discount deal for the amount they buy, and pass it on
to the customer.
Its called economy of scale, get used to it because its not going to change.

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:19:08 +1300, Axle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

>>>Can you get that deal here including all customs fees and freight costs ?

>> But you do not under stand the Point the Printers are not made in the US, they
>> also have to import them, we get ours via OZZ at Masive mark ups..
>>
>> EPSON Prices here are the dearest in the World..
>>

>Yeah, they get a discount deal for the amount they buy, and pass it on
>to the customer.
>Its called economy of scale, get used to it because its not going to change.

Well how about this them P n S sells 2 L Low fat PAM's milk for $3.10 but
the 3L one is $4.25 ??

So how come the 3L is 10c more, it should be 10c less, then more people would
buy it..

This is the Only country that I have live in were more costs a lot more in
real terms..

Chris Hope

BILL bs.xxxxxxxxxx.corn wrote:

[snip]

> Well how about this them P n S sells 2 L Low fat PAM's milk for
> $3.10 but
> the 3L one is $4.25 ??
>
> So how come the 3L is 10c more, it should be 10c less, then more
> people would buy it..

Ummm....

$3.10 / 2L = $1.55 per litre
$4.25 / 3L = $1.42 per litre (after rounding up)

And just *how* is the 2L bottle more expensive than the 3L bottle?