Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mac mini monitor?

Mac mini monitor?

YANewsreader

I've looking for an LCD monitor to go on my shopping list with a new Mac
mini, but seem to be having problems finding anything in the Windows
world with a screen resolution higher than 1280x1024. Curiously the size
of the screen seems to make no difference. From 15" to 23" or more they
all max out at 1280x1024, which seems to negate the whole point of
larger screens.

Mind you, even the Apple monitors seem to require a 23" Cinema Display
to satisfy the mini's 1920x1200 output and they range from $2500 (2nd
hand) to well over $3000 new. Bit daft for a $1200 computer.

Or am i missing something? I'd hate to have to go back to a CRT.

--
YAnewsreader
<I do solemnly promise to trim all quotations appropriately before

David Preece

YANewsreader wrote:
> I've looking for an LCD monitor to go on my shopping list with a new Mac
> mini, but seem to be having problems finding anything in the Windows
> world with a screen resolution higher than 1280x1024.

Dell have a line of widescreen displays that are finding a lot of fans
in the mac world. "Same thing, grand cheaper" appears to be a sensible
value proposition.

> Mind you, even the Apple monitors seem to require a 23" Cinema Display
> to satisfy the mini's 1920x1200 output

Well, you don't have to run it at full whack.

> Bit daft for a $1200 computer.

It does seem slightly overkill.

> Or am i missing something? I'd hate to have to go back to a CRT.

You don't have to run at full resolution. Damn near any LCD should work
fine with the Mini.

Don't forget to get more RAM. 512 is the bare minimum.

Dave

Allistar

YANewsreader wrote:

> I've looking for an LCD monitor to go on my shopping list with a new Mac
> mini, but seem to be having problems finding anything in the Windows
> world with a screen resolution higher than 1280x1024. Curiously the size
> of the screen seems to make no difference. From 15" to 23" or more they
> all max out at 1280x1024, which seems to negate the whole point of
> larger screens.
>
> Mind you, even the Apple monitors seem to require a 23" Cinema Display
> to satisfy the mini's 1920x1200 output and they range from $2500 (2nd
> hand) to well over $3000 new. Bit daft for a $1200 computer.
>
> Or am i missing something? I'd hate to have to go back to a CRT.

If the Mini supports it why not go with 2 17" beside each other, giving you
a resolution of 1560x1024? Dell LCDs has a failrly thin "edge" making this
solution work better.

Allistar.

maz

"YANewsreader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've looking for an LCD monitor to go on my shopping list with a new Mac
> mini, but seem to be having problems finding anything in the Windows
> world with a screen resolution higher than 1280x1024. Curiously the size
> of the screen seems to make no difference. From 15" to 23" or more they
> all max out at 1280x1024, which seems to negate the whole point of
> larger screens.
>
> Mind you, even the Apple monitors seem to require a 23" Cinema Display
> to satisfy the mini's 1920x1200 output and they range from $2500 (2nd
> hand) to well over $3000 new. Bit daft for a $1200 computer.
>
> Or am i missing something? I'd hate to have to go back to a CRT.
>
> --
> YAnewsreader
> <I do solemnly promise to trim all quotations appropriately before
> replying>

Yeah it is really interesting, that laptop LCD screens, especially
widescreens come in mutiple resolutions WXGA, WSXGA and even higher res, but
desktop LCDs the 1280x1024 res (typical for 17 inch up) seems to be the
about the max, unless you go for a really expensive one.

YAnewswatcher

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If the Mini supports it why not go with 2 17" beside each other, giving you
> a resolution of 1560x1024? Dell LCDs has a failrly thin "edge" making this
> solution work better.

Alas, the mini is a budget model with only one video out socket and no
provision to add extra cards. There is promise of Mac drivers for a USB
to video dongle available around June, hopefully.

I currently run a Sony monitor alongside my Pismo laptop so dual screens
are fine.

--
YAnewsWatcher.

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
YANewsreader <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've looking for an LCD monitor to go on my shopping list with a new Mac
> mini, but seem to be having problems finding anything in the Windows
> world with a screen resolution higher than 1280x1024. Curiously the size
> of the screen seems to make no difference. From 15" to 23" or more they
> all max out at 1280x1024, which seems to negate the whole point of
> larger screens.
>
> Mind you, even the Apple monitors seem to require a 23" Cinema Display
> to satisfy the mini's 1920x1200 output and they range from $2500 (2nd
> hand) to well over $3000 new. Bit daft for a $1200 computer.

Oh I don't know. I'm planning to get a Mac Mini and use it with the 20"
Philips 1600x1200 LCD that I already have on my Linux machine.

So what if the screen costs more than the computer? It cost more than
my Linux computer as well.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-