Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon UBS, performance of late.

Orcon UBS, performance of late.

MarkH

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> MarkH wrote:
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>
>>> <snip the whole damn lot>
>>>
>>> Ok, Orcon's just dropped in my favour. I posted in this thread ages
>>> ago (seven hours-ish) and it's not showing up.
>>>
>>> Grrrrr.

>> You say Orcon, but I don't see the problem as being with Orcon
>> generally as an ISP. I think you are referring specifically to the
>> Orcon Usenet service (i.e. newsgroups) which is a complete waste of
>> time.
>>
>> For me it is a bit easier because I also download binaries from
>> newsgroups and it is a no-brainer to realise that all ISPs are
>> providing free newsgroups that are complete rubbish for binaries.
>>
>> If you use your ISP just to connect you to the internet then Orcon is
>> mostly OK now. I get good speed for HTTP, FTP, NNTP, SMTP and POP,
>> so I am happy. Even my flatmate that uses file sharing (through a
>> torrent of some sort) says that the speed is reasonable, though not
>> up to full speed at the moment.
>>
>> Misfit, you might think about wording your posts better as you have
>> posted under the heading of Orcon UBS performance, but your post
>> seems to be only referring to the Orcon newsgroups performance. (feel
>> free to correct me if I am wrong)

> Ok, I'll correct you.

Your "correction" was to explain why you posted about the newsgroups. This
was exactly what I was commenting on. I am just suggesting that you should
mention that you are referring to the newsgroups, otherwise someone seeing
the post under a heading that refers to the Orcon UBS performance reads
your post about Orcon dropping in your favour and may think that you are
criticizing their UBS performance.

I can't see what is wrong with making it clear that you are unhappy with
the Orcon newsgroups rather than UBS.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)

~misfit~

MarkH wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> MarkH wrote:
>>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> You say Orcon, but I don't see the problem as being with Orcon
>>> generally as an ISP. I think you are referring specifically to the
>>> Orcon Usenet service (i.e. newsgroups) which is a complete waste of
>>> time.
>>>
>>> For me it is a bit easier because I also download binaries from
>>> newsgroups and it is a no-brainer to realise that all ISPs are
>>> providing free newsgroups that are complete rubbish for binaries.
>>>
>>> If you use your ISP just to connect you to the internet then Orcon
>>> is mostly OK now. I get good speed for HTTP, FTP, NNTP, SMTP and
>>> POP, so I am happy. Even my flatmate that uses file sharing
>>> (through a torrent of some sort) says that the speed is reasonable,
>>> though not up to full speed at the moment.
>>>
>>> Misfit, you might think about wording your posts better as you have
>>> posted under the heading of Orcon UBS performance, but your post
>>> seems to be only referring to the Orcon newsgroups performance.
>>> (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)

>> Ok, I'll correct you.

> Your "correction" was to explain why you posted about the newsgroups.
> This was exactly what I was commenting on. I am just suggesting that
> you should mention that you are referring to the newsgroups,
> otherwise someone seeing the post under a heading that refers to the
> Orcon UBS performance reads your post about Orcon dropping in your
> favour and may think that you are criticizing their UBS performance.
>
> I can't see what is wrong with making it clear that you are unhappy
> with the Orcon newsgroups rather than UBS.

Actually I'm unhappy with the UBS as well. Not as unhappy as I was but
none-the-less not happy.

Mate, the thread is there, sitting on servers for people to get the context
of. If I had to explain in every post I made (and others did too) that what
we are saying doesn't always strictly apply to the subject as threads evolve
we might as well not have threads at all, just unconnected, single posts.

I'm not responsible for making sure everyone who reads a post in isolation
from the rest of the thread is totally informed on what's going on. A thread
is like a diary, you have to take things in context, not just grab a post
and read it in isolation. I don't have time to explain everything in
context, or change the thread subject, or whatever. If people have trouble
understanding what I'm saying I suggest a crash-course in reading
newsgroups. I can oblige, $40/hour, approximately a four hour class. Minimum
of 15 students per class. ($600 hour). Might as well put my thousands of
hours of experience reading newsgroups to work huh?
--

> Mate, the thread is there, sitting on servers for people to get the
> context of. If I had to explain in every post I made (and others did
> too) that what we are saying doesn't always strictly apply to the
> subject as threads evolve we might as well not have threads at all,
> just unconnected, single posts.

Whatever, I was simply making a suggestion about making what you were
saying more clear to anyone reading your post. Feel free to ignore my
suggestion if you don't agree to it. A large number of readers will have
figured out what you were saying anyway, let's face it - we usually figure
out what Roger is saying and he is often murkier than a swamp in his posts.

--

MarkH wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Mate, the thread is there, sitting on servers for people to get the
>> context of. If I had to explain in every post I made (and others did
>> too) that what we are saying doesn't always strictly apply to the
>> subject as threads evolve we might as well not have threads at all,
>> just unconnected, single posts.

> Whatever, I was simply making a suggestion about making what you were
> saying more clear to anyone reading your post. Feel free to ignore my
> suggestion if you don't agree to it. A large number of readers will
> have figured out what you were saying anyway, let's face it - we
> usually figure out what Roger is saying and he is often murkier than
> a swamp in his posts.

Although being compared to Roger probably shouldn't make me smile.
--
~misfit~

Evil Bastard

~misfit~ wrote:
> I have been having problems with [Orcon's] newservice not wanting my posts,
> sometimes I can't post until the morning. Makes my input into a thread a
> little out-of-sync.

A line in /etc/nntpd/trolls on the news.orcon.net.nz machine reads:

~misfit~ punish_mode=random_delay

--
Cheers
EB

~misfit~

Evil Bastard wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I have been having problems with [Orcon's] newservice not wanting my
>> posts, sometimes I can't post until the morning. Makes my input into
>> a thread a little out-of-sync.

> A line in /etc/nntpd/trolls on the news.orcon.net.nz machine reads:
>
> ~misfit~ punish_mode=random_delay

LOL, wouldn't surprise me. I've given up on them for usenet for now
(*Again*! Must be the fourth time) and am using x-privat. I used
news.individual.net previously but they are going paid and I don't have a
CC.

Funny how some outfits can do for free what Orcon have been unable to do for
a year or more while raking in money and making empty promises that lured me
to subscribe to them.
--
~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Evil Bastard wrote:
>> I have been having problems with [Orcon's] newservice not wanting my
>> posts,
>> sometimes I can't post until the morning. Makes my input into a thread a
>> little out-of-sync.

> A line in /etc/nntpd/trolls on the news.orcon.net.nz machine reads:
> ~misfit~ punish_mode=random_delay

nah, it does it for me under a few different nicks on their server too,
so it can't just be him.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Evil Bastard wrote:
>>> I have been having problems with [Orcon's] newservice not wanting my
>>> posts,
>>> sometimes I can't post until the morning. Makes my input into a
>>> thread a little out-of-sync.

>> A line in /etc/nntpd/trolls on the news.orcon.net.nz machine reads:
>> ~misfit~ punish_mode=random_delay

> nah, it does it for me under a few different nicks on their server
> too, so it can't just be him.

And here was me thinking I was special.
--
~misfit~

mark

> Subject: Re: Orcon UBS, performance of late.
> From: "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
> Krazy Bob wrote:
>> Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon,
>> or maybe bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee,
>> but im sure you could argue that the speed they are offering does not
>> match the speed they are giving you, which in effect is false
>> advertising and could also argue that they have mis-represented them
>> selves and therefore the $99 fee should not apply
>>
>> Just thought i'd put my 2cents in, even if its worth nothing

> Hey, it's worth 2 cents. However, no matter what I say I doubt I
> could get out of the churn fee without a lawyer.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> ~misfit~

If you were brassed off enough with orcon you could:

1. tell them they are a bunch of arseholes that haven't delivered the
service they promised. tell them you wish to disconnect and don't expect
any additional charges.

2. join telecom on the free modem, free connection plan and get a 99 credit
since u already have a modem

if u can get the same deal through slingshot let me know since I'm just
starting to look into this myself

~misfit~

mark wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Subject: Re: Orcon UBS, performance of late.
>> From: "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>>
>> Krazy Bob wrote:
>>> Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon,
>>> or maybe bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee,
>>> but im sure you could argue that the speed they are offering does
>>> not match the speed they are giving you, which in effect is false
>>> advertising and could also argue that they have mis-represented them
>>> selves and therefore the $99 fee should not apply
>>>
>>> Just thought i'd put my 2cents in, even if its worth nothing

>> Hey, it's worth 2 cents. However, no matter what I say I doubt I
>> could get out of the churn fee without a lawyer.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --
>> ~misfit~

> If you were brassed off enough with orcon you could:
>
> 1. tell them they are a bunch of arseholes that haven't delivered the
> service they promised. tell them you wish to disconnect and don't
> expect any additional charges.
>
> 2. join telecom on the free modem, free connection plan and get a 99
> credit since u already have a modem
>
> if u can get the same deal through slingshot let me know since I'm
> just starting to look into this myself

Hey, cool. I didn't think of that. Thanks for the info. The $99 credit would
cover the churn fee. I don't suppose I could get a credit on the free
connection as I'm already connected to their ADSL and had to pay for it?
--
~misfit~