Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon UBS, performance of late.

Orcon UBS, performance of late.

~misfit~

I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

Just though I'd mention it in the interests of fairness as I'm quick enough
to complain if it's not working.

Oh bloody hell!!!!!

I just got an error message pop up from the last reply I tried to post. I
knew I should have shut up:

:Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: [OT] Traffic
rules changes', Account: 'news.orcon.net.nz', Server: 'news.orcon.net.nz',
Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
Total Privacy via Encryption =----', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Error
Number: 0x800CCCA9:

So I'm not sure if this will get through, or when.

Bugger!
--
~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
> So I'm not sure if this will get through, or when.

yep, it got through, although your last post got posted twice.

and it's back.

Krazy Bob

Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon, or maybe
bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee, but im sure you
could argue that the speed they are offering does not match the speed they
are giving you, which in effect is false advertising and could also argue
that they have mis-represented them selves and therefore the $99 fee should
not apply

Just thought i'd put my 2cents in, even if its worth nothing

>I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close
> right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
> advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they
> are
> using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.
>
> Just though I'd mention it in the interests of fairness as I'm quick
> enough
> to complain if it's not working.
>
> Oh bloody hell!!!!!
>
> I just got an error message pop up from the last reply I tried to post. I
> knew I should have shut up:
>
> :Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'Re: [OT] Traffic
> rules changes', Account: 'news.orcon.net.nz', Server: 'news.orcon.net.nz',
> Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
> Total Privacy via Encryption =----', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Error
> Number: 0x800CCCA9:
>
> So I'm not sure if this will get through, or when.
>
> Bugger!
> --
> ~misfit~

> Newsgroups
> =----

Bottle Boy

>I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close
> right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
> advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they
> are
> using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

Hmm ... appears to be working pretty well for me as well ...

~misfit~

Krazy Bob wrote:
> Maybe just convert to Slingshot 256K plan, same price for as orcon,
> or maybe bliink 256K plan...I no there is that $99 disconection fee,
> but im sure you could argue that the speed they are offering does not
> match the speed they are giving you, which in effect is false
> advertising and could also argue that they have mis-represented them
> selves and therefore the $99 fee should not apply
>
> Just thought i'd put my 2cents in, even if its worth nothing

Hey, it's worth 2 cents. However, no matter what I say I doubt I could
get out of the churn fee without a lawyer.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> So I'm not sure if this will get through, or when.

> yep, it got through, although your last post got posted twice.

So it did, I didn't post it twice myself, must be newsfeeds.

>> News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
>> World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
>> Total Privacy via Encryption =----

> and it's back.

Yeah, I know. I hope Orcon is getting this service free with the advertising
going out with every post.
--
~misfit~

Evil Bastard

~misfit~ wrote:
> I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
> right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
> advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
> using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

I've seen similar in the last 2 days. Download speeds consistently
hovering around 30-34kB/s, online gaming pings now mostly 2-digit
(albeit with occasional 999 spikes).

Well done, Orcon. Hope it continues.

--
Cheers
EB

Starkey

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:30:21 +1300, Evil Bastard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>~misfit~ wrote:
>> I really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
>> right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
>> advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
>> using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.

>I've seen similar in the last 2 days. Download speeds consistently
>hovering around 30-34kB/s, online gaming pings now mostly 2-digit
>(albeit with occasional 999 spikes).
>
>Well done, Orcon. Hope it continues.
>
>--
>Cheers
>EB

to late i already ditched them for telecom 2mbit great dload speeds
and now i can play wow with a 200ping instead of 2000ping
ill stand by my words screw orcon, to little to late

Gordon

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 03:33:50 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> really don't want to jinx it but Orcon seem to have got something close to
> right. My download speed has improved (although still not as fast as it is
> advertised) and my latency has improved. Also, the NNTP server that they are
> using seems to be posting and fetching posts OK.
>
> Just though I'd mention it in the interests of fairness as I'm quick enough
> to complain if it's not working.

misfit, and other gentle folks. Orcon is going thru what I have seen so
many times on this ng.

HEY PEOPLE, they are great better than the pull thrus

Well, iam am not so sure.

THEY ARE FH!

Yes they are no good I am churning them.

Ah they seem to be coming right. AT LAST!

The scanners report that the word They, as in ISP, are no longer being
picked up.

There is a Japanese proverb which says, Say in the same place, and the sun
will once again rise and shine down upon your head.

Man, as including woman, is part of nature. Just look how she goes thru
cycles.

Read, open your memory.

Have a nice day, as in 24 hrs

Gordon

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:45:58 +1300, Starkey wrote:

> o late i already ditched them for telecom 2mbit great dload speeds
> and now i can play wow with a 200ping instead of 2000ping
> ill stand by my words screw orcon, to little to late

For some, how is the fire?