Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > KB v Kb

KB v Kb

Cliff

Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and lots of
apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
Is this now the accepted usage?
I have no axe to grind either way. I would just like to know.

thing

Cliff wrote:
> Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
> I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
> Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
> I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and lots of
> apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
> Is this now the accepted usage?
> I have no axe to grind either way. I would just like to know.

kb = kilobit, kB = kilobyte. Networks usually work in kb or Mb.

eg 100Mbit/sec is typical LAN.

regards

Thing

Dave - dave.net.nz

thing wrote:
>> Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
>> I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
>> Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
>> I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and
>> lots of apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
>> Is this now the accepted usage?

> kb = kilobit, kB = kilobyte. Networks usually work in kb or Mb.
> eg 100Mbit/sec is typical LAN.

in saying that, personally I almost always use kbit and kbyte in
situations where it could be either... better that that explain it all
again in another post/email/whatever.

Rider

"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dXsUd.5023$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
> I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
> Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
> I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and lots
> of apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
> Is this now the accepted usage?
> I have no axe to grind either way. I would just like to know.

Keyboard?

Allistar

Cliff wrote:

> Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
> I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
> Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
> I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and lots
> of apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
> Is this now the accepted usage?
> I have no axe to grind either way. I would just like to know.

And to start the trollfest:

Kb (kilobit) is technically 1000 bits.
Kib (kibibit) is technically 1024 bits.

When talking about computer storage most people use Kb when they mean Kib. I
do as well, just what I'm used to I suppose.

Companies use this difference (which is not insignificant) when selling
hard-drives to make the number appear larger. I.e. they say 80Gb when they
mean Gb, and most of us would assume they mean Gib.

Allistar.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:08:50 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

> In article <d6tUd.5028$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:dXsUd.5023$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
>>> I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
>>> Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
>>> I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and lots
>>> of apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
>>> Is this now the accepted usage?
>>> I have no axe to grind either way. I would just like to know.

>>Keyboard?

> k/b
>
> I would suggest that you use k rather than K. k means 1000 ... and I have no
> idea what K means.
>
> Bruce

degrees Kelvin?
or Potassium?

Caught

"Allistar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cliff wrote:
>
>> Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
>> I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
>> Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
>> I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and lots
>> of apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
>> Is this now the accepted usage?
>> I have no axe to grind either way. I would just like to know.

> And to start the trollfest:
>
> Kb (kilobit) is technically 1000 bits.
> Kib (kibibit) is technically 1024 bits.
>
> When talking about computer storage most people use Kb when they mean Kib.
> do as well, just what I'm used to I suppose.
>
> Companies use this difference (which is not insignificant) when selling
> hard-drives to make the number appear larger. I.e. they say 80Gb when they
> mean Gb, and most of us would assume they mean Gib.
>
> Allistar.

Scientifically

lower case k ==> is kilo, that is x 1000
upper case K ==> Kelvin, which is a unit of temperature

as for lower case b or upper case B ......... !!!!!!! ???????

So I'm equally confused

Bruce Sinclair

In article <d6tUd.5028$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dXsUd.5023$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can someone please enlighten me as to current usage of KB and Kb
>> I had always thought that Kb meant Kilobit and KB Kilobyte.
>> Is this in fact right or have I been labouring under a misapprehension?
>> I could never really see the need to measure things in Kilobits and lots
>> of apps seem to use Kb to refer to Kilobytes.
>> Is this now the accepted usage?
>> I have no axe to grind either way. I would just like to know.

>Keyboard?

k/b

I would suggest that you use k rather than K. k means 1000 ... and I have no
idea what K means.

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

(if there were any)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Shane (aka froggy)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:08:50 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <d6tUd.5028$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rider"

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>"Cliff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:dXsUd.5023$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>>Keyboard?

>> k/b
>>
>> I would suggest that you use k rather than K. k means 1000 ... and I have no
>> idea what K means.

> degrees Kelvin?

That would have a little degree sign by it

>or Potassium?

True. I missed that amongst the context

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

(if there were any)

Arkwright

The convention is that an uppercase letter is used if the unit is named
after a person (eg K - Kelvin; W - Watt) otherwise it is lower case (eg b -
bit: s - second, etc).

The first letters are set by International conventions (eg m - milli, k
kilo, M - mega, G - Giga, etc)

Cheers