Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > New computer wireless PCI adapter setup mistake recovery

New computer wireless PCI adapter setup mistake recovery

=?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91c01hcms=?=

I set up a new athlon64 with MSI K8N Neo M/B with winXPSP2 but believe I made
a mistake. I put the D-Link DWL-G520 rev. A1 PCI wireless adapter in the PCI
slot before installing windows XP. Windows showed the device as unkknown
with question marks in the hardware management area. I donwloaded the latest
driver from the dlink site and ran it's installer and the hardware was
recognized but I was never able to associate with my home network. I fiddled
with a myriad of things, read the D-Link install manual which said install
the driver first! and figure that may be my problem. How do I get the
hardware and driver info back to ground zero so I can re-install the driver
and then install the card?

Mark

Rob D

"CuriousMark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I set up a new athlon64 with MSI K8N Neo M/B with winXPSP2 but believe I
>made
> a mistake. I put the D-Link DWL-G520 rev. A1 PCI wireless adapter in the
> PCI
> slot before installing windows XP. Windows showed the device as unkknown
> with question marks in the hardware management area. I donwloaded the
> latest
> driver from the dlink site and ran it's installer and the hardware was
> recognized but I was never able to associate with my home network. I
> fiddled
> with a myriad of things, read the D-Link install manual which said install
> the driver first! and figure that may be my problem. How do I get the
> hardware and driver info back to ground zero so I can re-install the
> driver
> and then install the card?

Uninstall from Devices, reboot then select I will choose which driver to
install > have Disk etc

Rob

> Mark

=?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91c01hcms=?=

"Rob D" wrote:
> Uninstall from Devices, reboot then select I will choose which driver to
> install > have Disk etc
>
> Rob

OK, that is one of the things I tried. I also uninstalled the hardware in
devices, powered down, removed the card, restarted, installed driver using
have disk, shut down, installed card, restarted, but still no go.

I also followed the scripts at dlink site to disable and enable wireless
zero config thinking it might have been related to that with no luck either.
With WZC off and using the dlink utility, the card cannot be found. The
dlink utility can't even see it.
Using WZC it says the adapter is functioning but firewalled. Even when the
one and only firewall is off.

I figured there must be leftover driver links and reg keys that I need to
clean out to make it work.

=?Utf-8?B?Q3VyaW91c01hcms=?=

Further T/S attempts:
Based on FAQs at D-Link we disabled all networks in "my Network/Properties",
booted in safe mode as admin and tried to remove the network hardware.
However we could not remove it. We got messages saying that the driver could
not be removed because it might be needed to boot the computer. So we
disabled each driver and tried to remove it again. No luck, same message.
We restarted and went into safe mode as user and repeated the attempt with
the same messages. Then, when I started to re-enable drivers, including a
bunch of wan miniports, THEY DISAPPEARED. This seems goofy.

Restarted in normal mode wtih the M/B gigalan NIC plugged into a hardwired
connection and all seems well with networking there. But I need to move this
computer to another room and use the wireless card. We will try to install
the D-Link driver and card tonight.

Any advice? Is this the way XP is supposed to work?

PS. I saw a KB article that WZC won't work with networks where SSID
broadcast is disabled, soI will turn it on for the installation. If XP
turns out to be the only SW in the house not compatible with SSID broadcast
being off I will be surprised. There must be a way for XP to work properly
in that environment. How do I find the settings?