Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > changing from Orcon UBS to Orcon Jetstream

Brendan

I wish to go from UBS to Jetstream (2 megabit). I would like advice and
strategy from those in the know or those who have already done so. Below is
what Orcon told me on the phone. (Not happy with Orcon UBS; not sure Orcon
is correct with the below).

Just called up Orcon to enquire what is neede as per above. Was on hold for
about 20 of their '1 minute' que.........

There is no 'churn fee'. Yes indeed... Apparently they have to get Telecom
to disconnect your ADSL, and then reconnect it again. This costs $99.95.

You are best to do it on the 15th, because Orcon wants to have 30 days
notice. They cannot give a good reason for the 30 days, so I'll assume
there is no good reason.

You then have to wait for up to about 10 days for the adsl to be
reconnected. You will be without adsl for up to 10 days.

No mention of Telecom's billing cycle and the games they play with it, like
they did when I went from Jetstream to UBS. Likely, Telecom will take the
oppurtunity to **** you over as well but I'd like to hear from a few others
who have gone UBS -> Jetstream already.

Why does it take 10 days to send a command to the DSLAM ? Or do they really
have to physically go down there, resolder wires and pour cement ?

It's obvious to me Telecom has taken a punative attitude to it's customers
audacity at leaving them; further, I think they have deliberatly sabotaged
the system to make competitors fail. Such is the lack of intellect in upper
management of Telecom. No surprise - where they could be making millions
and winning friends, they are instead inviting anger from the public and
regulation. The shareholders should fire those morons and anyone else like
them if they want their investment to survive long term.

But I digress: none of that is news. What I want to know is strategies and
info to overcome/bypass the delays in going from UBS to Jetstream, and
minimise expense and bugger ups.

--

.... Brendan

"If you do not think about the future, you cannot have one." -- John Galsworthy

Note: All my comments are copyright 25/02/2005 4:42:09 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Brendan wrote:
> I wish to go from UBS to Jetstream (2 megabit). I would like advice and
> strategy from those in the know or those who have already done so. Below is
> what Orcon told me on the phone. (Not happy with Orcon UBS; not sure Orcon
> is correct with the below).

just an FYI...
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...256FB300126077

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

Brendan

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:39:33 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Brendan wrote:
>> I wish to go from UBS to Jetstream (2 megabit). I would like advice and
>> strategy from those in the know or those who have already done so. Below is
>> what Orcon told me on the phone. (Not happy with Orcon UBS; not sure Orcon
>> is correct with the below).

> just an FYI...
> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...256FB300126077

Thanks Dave... Seems if I want 192kbits I better get in soon. Might not
make a difference though - I might not be an 'existing customer' when my
connection comes online...

--

.... Brendan

"Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth." -- Alan Wilson Watts

Note: All my comments are copyright 25/02/2005 7:52:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

UBS vs Jetstream? steve NZ Computing 19 08-07-2005 01:09 AM
Churn Fees being applied to Changing ISP on Telecom Jetstream (Non UBS)? Pacific Dragon NZ Computing 5 04-10-2005 07:42 AM
anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
changing from Telecom jetstream to UBS adsl notes Brendan NZ Computing 35 11-28-2004 10:02 AM

Advertisments