Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A laugh

A laugh

Collector»NZ

Got an email invitation to apply for a Support Admin Contract today,
despite my South Island one going west to an internal promotion I gave
this one a very quick Thanks, But NO THANKS.

Why, well first the HR person emails with outlook express using HTML
Stationary and a custom non standard font, Second the help desk level 1
is the Receptionist, Third a little line in the contract description
that said "where ever possible the organisations business will be
conducted in Te Reo Maori" making it definately not my scene when they
already have a bad IT infrastructure and habits and expect me to deal
with people in Maori.

As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
would be mouse.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Rider

> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
> thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
> would be mouse.
> --

TE mail
TE thernet
Te Network
Te Word Processor

..... I think you can work out the rest.

EMB

Collector»NZ wrote:

> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
> thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
> would be mouse.

Te chnology

--
EMB

Shane (aka froggy)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:52:12 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

er..
spacies bro
got a twenny?

cowboyz

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UoxTd.4290$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
>> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
>> thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
>> would be mouse.
>> --

> TE mail
> TE thernet
> Te Network
> Te Word Processor
>
> .... I think you can work out the rest.

Don't be culturally insensitive. I have dealt with various peopleof
european and maori decent and computer hardware is called the same in both
languages.

Email, ethernet,network are all called "internet"
wordprocessor is called "thingy"
monitor is called "what-you-call-it"
CDrom, power switch, Hard drive,gfx card,sound card are all called "CPU"

Hope this helps.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector»NZ wrote:
> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the only
> thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word for
> would be mouse.

email
electronic = mìhini hiko
mail = mèra or you can use reta
so I guess "mera mihini hiko"
ethernet = ok, nothing doing here... heh, tether-net is herea-kupenga
network = whatunga or you can use hononga
wordprocessor = well NZ maori isn't a written language, so kinda hard, but
word = kupu
processor = not found
processing = mahi so processing of words is "mahi kupu"
monitor = pane whakaata
CD is a compact disk, so = porotiti whàiti
power = hiko, switch = pana, so = pana hiko
computer = rorohiko

mouse = kiore

all found here.
http://www.learningmedia.co.nz/ngata/

theres always someone willing to go too far... today, it's me

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

Dave - Dave.net.nz

cowboyz wrote:
> CDrom, power switch, Hard drive,gfx card,sound card are all called "CPU"

heh, or the modem... I wish I could strangle people who called it the modem.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

Collector»NZ

Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 25/02/2005 5:27 p.m.:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
>> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the
>> only thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori word
>> for would be mouse.

> email
> electronic = mìhini hiko
> mail = mèra or you can use reta
> so I guess "mera mihini hiko"
> ethernet = ok, nothing doing here... heh, tether-net is herea-kupenga
> network = whatunga or you can use hononga
> wordprocessor = well NZ maori isn't a written language, so kinda hard, but
> word = kupu
> processor = not found
> processing = mahi so processing of words is "mahi kupu"
> monitor = pane whakaata
> CD is a compact disk, so = porotiti whàiti
> power = hiko, switch = pana, so = pana hiko
> computer = rorohiko
>
> mouse = kiore
>
> all found here.
> http://www.learningmedia.co.nz/ngata/
>
> theres always someone willing to go too far... today, it's me

**** right now you should be glad that that you are so far away from me

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Collector»NZ

Collector»NZ said the following on 25/02/2005 5:37 p.m.:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 25/02/2005 5:27 p.m.:
>
>> Collector»NZ wrote:
>>
>>> As an aside anyone know the Maori for; Email, Ethernet, Network,
>>> Wordprocessor, Monitor, CD Rom, Power Switch, Computer in fact the
>>> only thing in computing that I could think there might be a Maori
>>> word for would be mouse.

>> email
>> electronic = mìhini hiko
>> mail = mèra or you can use reta
>> so I guess "mera mihini hiko"

Eh what a whole sentence to say email no wonder there hui,s and tangi's
last so long it takes so long to convey a simple message.

>> ethernet = ok, nothing doing here... heh, tether-net is herea-kupenga
>> network = whatunga or you can use hononga
>> wordprocessor = well NZ maori isn't a written language, so kinda hard,
>> but
>> word = kupu
>> processor = not found
>> processing = mahi so processing of words is "mahi kupu"
>> monitor = pane whakaata
>> CD is a compact disk, so = porotiti whàiti
>> power = hiko, switch = pana, so = pana hiko
>> computer = rorohiko
>>
>> mouse = kiore
>>
>> all found here.
>> http://www.learningmedia.co.nz/ngata/
>>
>> theres always someone willing to go too far... today, it's me
>>

> **** right now you should be glad that that you are so far away from me

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Collector»NZ wrote:
>>> email
>>> electronic = mìhini hiko
>>> mail = mèra or you can use reta
>>> so I guess "mera mihini hiko"

> Eh what a whole sentence to say email no wonder there hui,s and tangi's
> last so long it takes so long to convey a simple message.

well email is an abreviation of electronic mail, and so I had to use the
full word to get it to work...
I guess it could be "mera hiko" or "electric mail" but that doesnt quite
sound right.

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

Here a good laugh on Novell --> NT -->AL Wireless Networking 7 03-29-2005 07:37 PM
OT: Just for the laugh of it!! zeus MCSE 26 11-10-2004 11:17 AM
Please don't laugh gale ASP .Net 6 10-14-2004 05:08 PM
OT: IE w/ SP2 -- makes me laugh Brian Firefox 2 08-27-2004 02:41 AM
Don't Laugh Brat MCSE 2 11-26-2003 10:00 PM

Advertisments