Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > problem logging off or switching user

problem logging off or switching user

roger marriott

Hello

I have a major problem. First I cannot switch user or log off XP pro. (have to power off). Machine seems to work fine while logged on as any user. (there are two)

First I thought it was a virus, but any amount of virus checking does not find any. Same for spyware (three or four of the ad adaware type proggrams)

Before the log off problem, there were some funny issues with system sounds in son's set up. in that some would not play at the expected time ie log on, ta da etc. But were set up to play and did play in control pannel. Smelt of virus to me.

I suspected one piece of softare my son installed but has since been removed. It also was about the time i installed a wireless modem.

Since then I have tried to role back (restore) to an earlier date. but the problem persists.
I have reinstalled windows, the problem persists.

I have checked out my hardware to the extent that I have tried each stick of memory on its own, removed all cards from the machine, so it is only m/b, ram, mouse. kb and video. and even tried another video card. same problem.

I am running out of ideas. I fail to see how this can be a hardware problem, I had hoped that the reinstalled windows would fix it.

I was prepared to format the disk and reinstall to that but there is a problem with that as XP is an upgrade version, I have to install over 98 or another qualifying version, which i was about to do except 98 will not load on to my NTFS disk, and fdisk will not work on it either. So while I say i have reinstalled windows it was according to the process a repair. Just not a very good one.

Shane (aka froggy)

> I was prepared to format the disk and reinstall to that but there is a

problem with that as XP is an upgrade version, I have to install over 98
or another qualifying version, which i was about to do except 98 will not
load on to my NTFS disk, and fdisk will not work on it either. So while
I say i have reinstalled windows it was according to the process a
repair. Just not a very good one.

er fdisk will delete ntfs partitions of the type you describe
its the 'delete non-dos partitions' option
(option 3 iirc)
just remember to back up drivers and wanted files etc etc

Jerry

roger marriott wrote:

> I was prepared to format the disk and reinstall to that but there is a
> problem with that as XP is an upgrade version, I have to install over 98
> or another qualifying version, which i was about to do except 98 will
> not load on to my NTFS disk, and fdisk will not work on it either. So
> while I say i have reinstalled windows it was according to the process a
> repair. Just not a very good one.

You can install a new version from an update disk. Start the install
and it will ask you to insert a disk from a qualifying program, it looks
at it and you can then do a full install

Jerry

Dave Taylor

"roger marriott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:421d3720$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am running out of ideas. I fail to see how this can be a hardware
> problem, I had hoped that the reinstalled windows would fix it.

What is the tempurature of the CPU, some will slow down to save themselves
from burning up?
Does a Knoppix CD boot up and run fine, sounds and all that stuff?

--
Ciao, Dave

E.

roger marriott wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a major problem. First I cannot switch user or log off XP pro.
> (have to power off). Machine seems to work fine while logged on as
> any user. (there are two)

Have you checked services such as secondary logon and fast user switching?
E.