Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft Forces SP2 Update On All XP And XP SP1 Machines

Microsoft Forces SP2 Update On All XP And XP SP1 Machines

SchoolTech

Benji Thorn wrote:
> All I shall say that it is very very easy to install SP2 on a pirated XP
> machine but why people would want to is beyond me. SP2 breaks so many
> things it is not funny.

There are literally hundreds of fixes in SP2 (it also includes all of
the fixes in SP1).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113 lists all of them. I estimate
there are at least 700 - 800 listed here.

We had a machine the other day that had an obscure log-on problem. It
turned out the machine didn't have SP2 installed, so while I was waiting
for another guy to come in to have a look at it, I installed SP2 then
for good measure I turned on automatic updates and let it install 18
updates. The problem never came back after that and I found it listed as
a fix on the MS web site.

We have maybe two dozen machines of various spec running SP2 - all of
which are just fine.