Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS office shortcut bar

MS office shortcut bar

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Anyone know how to turn it on?

Office 2k
Win2k/XP

I think that it normally runs an exe file, but I just cant find one that
launches it in the MS Office folder.

Tim

This is one of the few MS Office features that I go out of my way to make
sure is not installed.
IE in "complete" installs I do not install Chippy, Toolbar, and Binder.

If you rerun office setup and make sure it is installed this may solve your
problem as the original installer may have had a like mind - you will also
know how to remove it for later on today.

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know how to turn it on?
>
> Office 2k
> Win2k/XP
>
> I think that it normally runs an exe file, but I just cant find one that
> launches it in the MS Office folder.

Impossible

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know how to turn it on?
>
> Office 2k
> Win2k/XP
>
> I think that it normally runs an exe file, but I just cant find one that
> launches it in the MS Office folder.

Have a look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/203078/en-us

The shortcut bar is not installed by default. If it's been installed, then
there should be a link buried in the Office Tools folder -- or you can set a
registry key to activate/deactivate it. If it's not installed, then just run
a maintenance installation and add it to the mix.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Tim wrote:
> If you rerun office setup and make sure it is installed this may solve your
> problem as the original installer may have had a like mind - you will also
> know how to remove it for later on today.

it is installed... it is just that "somehow the shortcut disappeared
from the startup folder"... yeah right... but I have no idea on where it
used to point to.

I'll give the re-install an option last.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Benji Thorn

Ummmmmmm

I did a quick search this end (Running Office 2000) and this is what I have:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Shortcut Bar\Office

And in that folder is a shortcut which I think you could copy to the
Startup folder.

Benji

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> If you rerun office setup and make sure it is installed this may solve
>> your problem as the original installer may have had a like mind - you
>> will also know how to remove it for later on today.

> it is installed... it is just that "somehow the shortcut disappeared
> from the startup folder"... yeah right... but I have no idea on where it
> used to point to.
>
> I'll give the re-install an option last.
>

> x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
> x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
> x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
> x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Dave - dave.net.nz

Benji Thorn wrote:
> Ummmmmmm
> I did a quick search this end (Running Office 2000) and this is what I
> have:
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Shortcut Bar\Office
> And in that folder is a shortcut which I think you could copy to the
> Startup folder.

not quite... thats were all the shortcuts that go onto the bar are
kept(from what I can tell), but thanks.

xlo

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> If you rerun office setup and make sure it is installed this may solve
>> your problem as the original installer may have had a like mind - you
>> will also know how to remove it for later on today.

> it is installed... it is just that "somehow the shortcut disappeared
> from the startup folder"... yeah right... but I have no idea on where it
> used to point to.
>
> I'll give the re-install an option last.
>

> x-- 100 Proof News - http://www.100ProofNews.com
> x-- 3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groups
> x-- Access to over 1 Terabyte per Day - $8.95/Month
> x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

The executable is MSOffice.exe
Should be in a subdirectory of \Program Files\Microsoft Office\
Running it should present the option of starting it with windows.
IMO much better just to put quicklaunch buttons on taskbar.

paul

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Anyone know how to turn it on?
>
> Office 2k
> Win2k/XP
>
> I think that it normally runs an exe file, but I just cant find one that
> launches it in the MS Office folder.

on this machine it is here:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE"

Regards
Paul