Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP64

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Has anyone else noticed that the name that MS give the iso for XP64 is
as follows?
w2k3sp1_1433_usa_x64fre_pro.iso

Would I be right in thinking that it should be read as:
"Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, USA(presumably meaning english) x64 Free Pro"

Thats a bit of a mouth full.

C9H8O4

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone else noticed that the name that MS give the iso for XP64 is as
> follows?
> w2k3sp1_1433_usa_x64fre_pro.iso
>
> Would I be right in thinking that it should be read as:
> "Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, USA(presumably meaning english) x64 Free
> Pro"
>
> Thats a bit of a mouth full.

quiet day huh ?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

C9H8O4 wrote:
>>Has anyone else noticed that the name that MS give the iso for XP64 is as
>>follows?
>>w2k3sp1_1433_usa_x64fre_pro.iso

>>Would I be right in thinking that it should be read as:
>>"Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, USA(presumably meaning english) x64 Free
>>Pro"
>>Thats a bit of a mouth full.

> quiet day huh ?

they changed my hours to start at 7 due to demand... 5 calls 7 days, go
figure.

Nathan Mercer

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed that the name that MS give the iso for XP64 is
> as follows?
> w2k3sp1_1433_usa_x64fre_pro.iso
>
> Would I be right in thinking that it should be read as:
> "Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, USA(presumably meaning english) x64 Free Pro"
>
> Thats a bit of a mouth full.

Official name is "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition"

File name of the .ISO is pretty irrelevant, but FYI behind the scenes XP
x64 is built off the Server 2003 SP1 source tree

Cheers
Nathan

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed that the name that MS give the iso for XP64 is
> as follows?
> w2k3sp1_1433_usa_x64fre_pro.iso
>
> Would I be right in thinking that it should be read as:
> "Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, USA(presumably meaning english) x64 Free Pro"
>
> Thats a bit of a mouth full.

interestingly enough...
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21606
"The other random nugget that was new to me is the codebase that Win64
is built from. Rather than XP, Win64 is derived from Server 2003, which
means at the very worst, it will have all the 'security' enhancements
and other features that spring forth from it."

And April it is.

SchoolTech

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon, 07 Mar 2005
08:28:36 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed that the name that MS give the iso for XP64 is
> > as follows?
> > w2k3sp1_1433_usa_x64fre_pro.iso
> >
> > Would I be right in thinking that it should be read as:
> > "Windows 2003 Service Pack 1, USA(presumably meaning english) x64 Free Pro"
> >
> > Thats a bit of a mouth full.

> interestingly enough...
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21606
> "The other random nugget that was new to me is the codebase that Win64
> is built from. Rather than XP, Win64 is derived from Server 2003, which
> means at the very worst, it will have all the 'security' enhancements
> and other features that spring forth from it."

There is not all that much difference between XP and 2k3. They are
related just as NT4/2K came in workstation and server editions