Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon UBS usage page

Orcon UBS usage page

-=rjh=-

I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My Account
-> BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not credible. Is
anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is going on here?

For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in the
past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't believe.
Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have
a hope of monitoring it accurately.

Test

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My Account ->
>BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not credible. Is
>anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is going on here?
>
> For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in the
> past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't believe.
> Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a
> hope of monitoring it accurately.

They're off by a factor of 10. Download the csv and load it in excel. Sum up
the usage column and you'll find that you prolly used around 4gb. They had
me down for 63gb dl and 17gb dl!!! LOL, I wish! I wouldn't be complaining if
that was true!

wogers nemesis

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:42:10 +1300, Test wrote:

> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My Account ->
>>BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not credible. Is
>>anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is going on here?
>>
>> For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in the
>> past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't believe.
>> Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a
>> hope of monitoring it accurately.

> They're off by a factor of 10. Download the csv and load it in excel. Sum up
> the usage column and you'll find that you prolly used around 4gb. They had
> me down for 63gb dl and 17gb dl!!! LOL, I wish! I wouldn't be complaining if
> that was true!

Damn Leechers like you are slowing it down for the rest of us!
Stop using your no cap account as though there are no limits.

Sounds like a new sneaky method to make people feel guilty ;-0

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Test wrote:
>>I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My Account ->
>>BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not credible. Is
>>anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is going on here?

>>For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in the
>>past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't believe.
>>Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a
>>hope of monitoring it accurately.

> They're off by a factor of 10. Download the csv and load it in excel. Sum up
> the usage column and you'll find that you prolly used around 4gb. They had
> me down for 63gb dl and 17gb dl!!! LOL, I wish! I wouldn't be complaining if
> that was true!

OMG, they can't get simply maths right??? fuk sake.

Chris Mayhew

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Test wrote:
>
>>> I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My
>>> Account -> BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not
>>> credible. Is anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is
>>> going on here?

>>> For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in
>>> the past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't
>>> believe. Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they
>>> wouldn't have a hope of monitoring it accurately.

>> They're off by a factor of 10. Download the csv and load it in excel.
>> Sum up the usage column and you'll find that you prolly used around
>> 4gb. They had me down for 63gb dl and 17gb dl!!! LOL, I wish! I
>> wouldn't be complaining if that was true!

> OMG, they can't get simply maths right??? fuk sake.

Hey, I posted about this a while back, and got jumped on (can't remember
who). It was at the time that Orcon MD was pointing out that their
problems were due to the leaches (was that late last year when they sent
out the email?), so I though I'd go and check my usage to find that I
had jumped from a tad under 3GB on jetsurf to 16+GB on UBS. The month
they calculated was 69 days but the totals never added up anyway.

Is there anything Orcon do get right these days ?

Are (is) the SMTP server(s) working these days ?

They seem to have fixed their virus scanning..

Oh, I know, they ALWAYS manage to get "their" money out of my account
each month.

MarkH

-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My Account
> -> BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not credible. Is
> anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is going on here?
>
> For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in the
> past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't believe.
> Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have
> a hope of monitoring it accurately.

I took a look at my usage last night and saw that I downloaded 12GB in 20
hours, that's pretty good on a 256k connection. I had also managed to
download 140GB in 167 hours and in 67 hours I downloaded 28.2GB and
uploaded 15.9GB.

These figures are ridiculous and can't be taken seriously, it might be nice
if this was fixed so we could see how much we actually used.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)

Steve

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsXNSd.3094801$(E-Mail Removed)...
> -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My Account
>> -> BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not credible. Is
>> anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is going on here?
>>
>> For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in the
>> past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't believe.
>> Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have
>> a hope of monitoring it accurately.

> I took a look at my usage last night and saw that I downloaded 12GB in 20
> hours, that's pretty good on a 256k connection. I had also managed to
> download 140GB in 167 hours and in 67 hours I downloaded 28.2GB and
> uploaded 15.9GB.
>
> These figures are ridiculous and can't be taken seriously, it might be
> nice
> if this was fixed so we could see how much we actually used.
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)
> "There are 10 types of people, those that
> understand binary and those that don't"

I believe the numbers are in bits, not bytes. Would this make more sense?
This is what was suggested to me when I was surprised about my usage report.
It made more sense to me after that.

Cheers.

MarkH

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I believe the numbers are in bits, not bytes. Would this make more
> sense? This is what was suggested to me when I was surprised about my
> usage report. It made more sense to me after that.

****, that makes much more sense. I wonder how hard it could be for Orcon
to have a note of what the numbers mean on the usage page.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)
understand binary and those that don't"

DoggNZ

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:38:05 +1300, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My Account
>-> BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not credible. Is
>anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is going on here?

I don't even have it

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

~misfit~

MarkH wrote:
> -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I see this is finally up and running under the new interface (My
>> Account -> BitStream Usage) but the figures it shows are simply not
>> credible. Is anyone else seeing this? Can anybody explain what is
>> going on here?
>>
>> For example, the meter is telling me that I have downloaded ~48GB in
>> the past 7 days (and only uploaded 168MB) which I flat out don't
>> believe. Lucky Orcon don't have a cap, because I'm pretty sure they
>> wouldn't have a hope of monitoring it accurately.

> I took a look at my usage last night and saw that I downloaded 12GB
> in 20 hours, that's pretty good on a 256k connection. I had also
> managed to download 140GB in 167 hours and in 67 hours I downloaded
> 28.2GB and uploaded 15.9GB.
>
> These figures are ridiculous and can't be taken seriously, it might
> be nice if this was fixed so we could see how much we actually used.

I just checked my usage for the first time! They *only* have figures for one
month, 23/1/05 to 23/2/05 (although they display the date in the American
format with month first. I *hate* that) despite the fact I've been connected
since Nov. 04 and this is what they have for me:

Total time: 522 hours (16.8 a day? the difference between that and 24 hours
is their downtime as I am always connected. They owe me 222 hours for that
month. Should I adjust my next payment accordingly?)

Uploads: 787.8MB

Downloads: 764.2MB

I'm not a heavy user but I have downloaded the odd large file. Those figures
are frankly wrong. I would guesstimate a download figure of 3-4GB for the
month, maybe less, but not that low. (Caveat: I don't know how much traffic
extended periods of on-line gaming use but it can't be a hell of a lot as we
could both play simultaneously on dial-up)
--
~misfit~