Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What Are Immovable Files

What Are Immovable Files

BTMO

"Peter" <> wrote

>I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk defragmenter and
>the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are these files? Can I get
>that disk space back if I formate the drive?

Kind of defeats the purpose of defragging...

Benji Thorn

They are either files that are in use, such as windows system files or a
file you have open at the time. Or the big one you see, that is the swap
file.

Peter wrote:
> I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk defragmenter and
> the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are these files? Can I get
> that disk space back if I formate the drive?
>

> cheers

jasonrumney@gmail.com

Immovable files are files that are currently open (including most of
the DLLs in your Windows directory).

You'll have to boot from floppy or CDROM if you want everything to be
movable. If its a FAT (or VFAT) filesystem, one of the Live GNU/Linux
CDs will do, but I'm not sure if there is any Linux based tool for
defragging NTFS.

Adder

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com> in
nz.comp on 22 Feb 2005 08:25:39 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> Immovable files are files that are currently open (including most of
> the DLLs in your Windows directory).
>
> You'll have to boot from floppy or CDROM if you want everything to be
> movable. If its a FAT (or VFAT) filesystem, one of the Live GNU/Linux
> CDs will do, but I'm not sure if there is any Linux based tool for
> defragging NTFS.

booting safemode should fix some of them
or recovery console if your really pedantic
its not that big a deal

DoggNZ

On 22 Feb 2005 08:25:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Immovable files are files that are currently open (including most of
>the DLLs in your Windows directory).
>
>You'll have to boot from floppy or CDROM if you want everything to be
>movable. If its a FAT (or VFAT) filesystem, one of the Live GNU/Linux
>CDs will do, but I'm not sure if there is any Linux based tool for
>defragging NTFS.

Could also be the swap file. There are a few third party defraggers
for Windows that can do all those files while the computer is
starting. O & O Defrag is a good one but I'm sure there's some free
ones around that are just as good.

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

-[Myth]-

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:49:22 -0800, Peter wrote:

> I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk defragmenter and
> the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are these files? Can I get
> that disk space back if I formate the drive?
>

> cheers

In-use system files like the pagefile. Power-defrag will defrag them
however it is not free. Sysinternals has a free tool that will defrag your
page file on boot.

Peter

DoggNZ wrote:
> Could also be the swap file.

If it's the swap file, just set this to zero size, reboot, defrag, then
return swap file to previous size or setting.

HTH

Peter

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <qjDSd.3421$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Peter" <> wrote
>
>>I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk defragmenter and
>>the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are these files? Can I get
>>that disk space back if I formate the drive?

>Kind of defeats the purpose of defragging...

Wonder what would happen if an immovable file met an irresistible
defragger...

Dave Taylor

Lawrence DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <qjDSd.3421$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Peter" <> wrote
>>
>>>I was checking the state of my drive with the windows disk
>>>defragmenter and the Analyse shows I had Immovable Files. what are
>>>these files? Can I get that disk space back if I formate the drive?

>>Kind of defeats the purpose of defragging...

> Wonder what would happen if an immovable file met an irresistible
> defragger...

Some applications use these files and their position on the physical disk
for licence purposes. Defragging /moving them might break the app. One
I recall was some kind of CAD app. I have no other details other than I
had to re-register it with their support and it was a hassle.
If they are flagged as immovable, it is generally for a reason. What is
the exact file name?
Put it into google and see what results have to say on the matter.

--
Ciao, Dave