Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ok, so which ISP out there is offering the BEST UBS service?

Ok, so which ISP out there is offering the BEST UBS service?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:34:03 +1300, wrote:
>

>>"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>>Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care, I've had
>>>just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to compensate for
>>>crap product? The beginning of the end.
>>>--
>>>~misfit~

>>What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
>>I assume its UBS,

> er.. I could be wrong here.. but isnt UBS only coming in 2 MB/s packages..
> whilst 256 KB/s plans are all adsl

partially correct... ADSL is the technology that both use.
All the current 2Mbps is normal old ADSL that the ISPs resell.
256, you can have either normal resold Telecom product, or UBS, which is
slightly cheaper, and Telecom have less fingers in the pie.

UBS is what Orcon/Ihug and a few others are selling themselves, and
about the only way to tell the difference, is that they're not allowed
to use the word jetstream in their marketing.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

EMB wrote:
>> This sounds good, I might give them a call. I wonder if it is
>> possible to get this and still have TC do the phone line. NO Telecom
>> in my house yet...

> When I was talking to TC about reassigning some business phone lines
> last week they said there was no problem in leaving the ADSL with
> Telecom/Maxnet so you should be ok.

Guys... TC is a bad acronym... TeleCom or TelstraClear.

EMB

Gordon Smith wrote:

> Personally, I prefer the data capping method. Telenor (Norway) did this,
> but also provided an option for heavy users where, if they hit their
> cap, they could log on to a website and purchase additional bandwidth if
> they required it. So costs are apportioned more fairly, and the customer
> has control of his/her connection.

From a quick browse of their sIte I can't see any limits/caps although
my Norwegen is none too flash.

They appear to be paying the equivalent of NZ$120/month for 2Mb/128kb
ADSL with no cap mentioned.

Gordon - can you confirm what their caps actually is now?

--
EMB

Brendan

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:55:54 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> They had no choice but to add this as the quality of the bandwidth Telescum
> is providing them, deliberately nerfed as far as latency goes, has forced
> them to cover their arses legally.

I think that you are right. I'm looking to go back to the 2mbit system.
****ing Telecom. The commerce commmison needs to level Telecom with massive
fines to show who's boss.

--

.... Brendan

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." -- Christopher Lasch

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/02/2005 3:18:28 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:21:53 +1300, Brendan wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:55:54 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> They had no choice but to add this as the quality of the bandwidth Telescum
>> is providing them, deliberately nerfed as far as latency goes, has forced
>> them to cover their arses legally.

> I think that you are right. I'm looking to go back to the 2mbit system.
> ****ing Telecom. The commerce commmison needs to level Telecom with massive
> fines to show who's boss.

judging by the **** poor fines handed to telstra clear over in oz
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...ccc_broadband/

im willing to bet telecom could publicly announce that its screwing orcon
over and nothing would happen

-=rjh=-

Brendan wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:55:54 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>

>>They had no choice but to add this as the quality of the bandwidth Telescum
>>is providing them, deliberately nerfed as far as latency goes, has forced
>>them to cover their arses legally.

> I think that you are right. I'm looking to go back to the 2mbit system.
> ****ing Telecom. The commerce commmison needs to level Telecom with massive
> fines to show who's boss.

Unfortunately, I think who is the boss has already been clearly established.

Brendan

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:30:31 +1300, Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> im willing to bet telecom could publicly announce that its screwing orcon
> over and nothing would happen

I think you are right

They better hope I am not elected God Emperor of New Zealand next election.

--

.... Brendan

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better." -- Laurie Anderson

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/02/2005 11:56:57 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

UBS ISP's Mark NZ Computing 13 10-21-2005 06:19 AM
Can ISP's actually sell Both WSA Jetstream and UBS together? Pacific Dragon NZ Computing 1 10-04-2005 11:22 AM
Churn Fees being applied to Changing ISP on Telecom Jetstream (Non UBS)? Pacific Dragon NZ Computing 5 04-10-2005 07:42 AM
So if I am to go UBS then who should I choose as my ISP? Bottle Boy NZ Computing 1 03-02-2005 05:28 AM
anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM

Advertisments