Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ok, so which ISP out there is offering the BEST UBS service?

Ok, so which ISP out there is offering the BEST UBS service?

Chris Hope

Shane (aka froggy) wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:34:03 +1300, wrote:
>
>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Colour me interested too. Orcon can suck my toes for all I care,
>>> I've had just about enough of their crap. Changing their TOS now to
>>> compensate for a
>>> crap product? The beginning of the end.
>>> --
>>> ~misfit~

>> What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
>> I assume its UBS,

> er.. I could be wrong here.. but isnt UBS only coming in 2 MB/s
> packages.. whilst 256 KB/s plans are all adsl

It's the other way around.

IHUG, Orcon, Slingshot etc sell UBS @ 256k directly to the customer. All
billing is done direct to the customer and you don't see anything on
your Telecom bill.

The 2MB/s stuff (although I thought it went up as high as 8MB/s) is just
them reselling Telecom's plans in the old way. I'm not sure if you
still see a component on your Telecom bill with this or not.

Shane (aka froggy)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:42:36 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

> Shane (aka froggy) wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:34:03 +1300, wrote:
>>
>>> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
>>> I assume its UBS,

>> er.. I could be wrong here.. but isnt UBS only coming in 2 MB/s
>> packages.. whilst 256 KB/s plans are all adsl

> It's the other way around.
>
> IHUG, Orcon, Slingshot etc sell UBS @ 256k directly to the customer. All
> billing is done direct to the customer and you don't see anything on
> your Telecom bill.
>
> The 2MB/s stuff (although I thought it went up as high as 8MB/s) is just
> them reselling Telecom's plans in the old way. I'm not sure if you
> still see a component on your Telecom bill with this or not.

Doh!

EMB

Chris Hope wrote:

> The 2MB/s stuff (although I thought it went up as high as 8MB/s) is just
> them reselling Telecom's plans in the old way. I'm not sure if you
> still see a component on your Telecom bill with this or not.

Still billed at some outrageous rate from Telecom (and a token $10 or so
from the ISP).

--
EMB

Adam

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:17:17 +1300, Bottle Boy wrote:

>I've had enough of Orcon. I'm going to cancel my account with them. Can
>someone recommend an ISP that offers the UBS service but with a a decent
>quality of service?

No-one has mentioned Maxnet ... yet.

I've had a dial-up with them for 2 or 3 years and have just "upgraded"
to UBS with them.

Not sure how they compare with pricing (check their site) but the
service is *very good*.

I've always found them quick to respond, helpful and knowledgeable.
Furthermore - they appear to have a good relationship with Telecom's
engineers, so your problem doesn't get passed back & forth like a hot
potato.

Adam.

Dave Taylor

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cvea7s$6pm$1
@lust.ihug.co.nz:

>> had 2 outages. Why do you require UBS?

> Uncapped downloads. With the normal Jetstream plans you get bumped down
> to 64k (unless this has recently changed) once you go past 10GB in a
> month.

I would rather have slower speed than overage charges, but my ISP does not
offer that option.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

"Krazy Bob" <@.com> wrote in news:cAySd.3328$(E-Mail Removed):

> What a about slingshot, $49 for unlimited on 256K plan
> I assume its UBS,

This sounds good, I might give them a call. I wonder if it is possible to
get this and still have TC do the phone line. NO Telecom in my house
yet...

--
Ciao, Dave

EMB

Dave Taylor wrote:

> This sounds good, I might give them a call. I wonder if it is possible to
> get this and still have TC do the phone line. NO Telecom in my house
> yet...

When I was talking to TC about reassigning some business phone lines
last week they said there was no problem in leaving the ADSL with
Telecom/Maxnet so you should be ok.

--
EMB

Brendan

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:35:29 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Changing their TOS now to compensate for a
> crap product? The beginning of the end.

What have they changed ?

--

.... Brendan

"Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh." -- W. H. Auden

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/02/2005 12:55:20 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

~misfit~

Brendan wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:35:29 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Changing their TOS now to compensate for a
>> crap product? The beginning of the end.

> What have they changed ?

It's in this group somewhere. Basically they're saying that the quoted speed
of the connection is a guideline only and also that they don't guarantee
latency. They suggest 1,000ms one-way is reasonable but by no means as bad
as it could get.

They had no choice but to add this as the quality of the bandwidth Telescum
is providing them, deliberately nerfed as far as latency goes, has forced
them to cover their arses legally.
--
~misfit~

Gordon Smith

Chris Hope wrote:

>>had 2 outages. Why do you require UBS?

> Uncapped downloads. With the normal Jetstream plans you get bumped down
> to 64k (unless this has recently changed) once you go past 10GB in a
> month.

Can't see capping going away. A service provider only has 2 choices when
it comes to regulating their upstream bandwidth fairly - either putting
data caps on customers, or charging them for excess data usage. Xtra has
demonstrated how popular the second option is.....

It all comes down to how much the customer pays though. If you're paying
around $1400/month for a 2M DSL connection, you can have unlimited
downloads. Thats committed bandwidth. If you don't want to pay that
much, you share available bandwidth with other users. At that point,
it's up to the service provider to make sure that it gets shared evenly
between their users. It doesn't take many P2P sessions to cause a
noticable impact on circuit utilisation.

Personally, I prefer the data capping method. Telenor (Norway) did this,
but also provided an option for heavy users where, if they hit their
cap, they could log on to a website and purchase additional bandwidth if
they required it. So costs are apportioned more fairly, and the customer
has control of his/her connection.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

UBS ISP's Mark NZ Computing 13 10-21-2005 06:19 AM
Can ISP's actually sell Both WSA Jetstream and UBS together? Pacific Dragon NZ Computing 1 10-04-2005 11:22 AM
Churn Fees being applied to Changing ISP on Telecom Jetstream (Non UBS)? Pacific Dragon NZ Computing 5 04-10-2005 07:42 AM
So if I am to go UBS then who should I choose as my ISP? Bottle Boy NZ Computing 1 03-02-2005 05:28 AM
anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM

Advertisments