Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > No serial port on my laptop

No serial port on my laptop

Boe

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there an
adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not
previously been configured so it has no IP address yet?

Thanks

Thomas Jessen

Hi!

Boe wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there an
> adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not
> previously been configured so it has no IP address yet?

use an USB to serial adapter.

Greets,
Thomas

Dophi

There are so many USB to RS-232 converters and they are so cheap.
You can use it to connect console cable.

NETADMIN

USB to Serial Converter is easily available in market.
Use that for this.

Boe

Thanks!
"Thomas Jessen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> Boe wrote:
>> I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there
>> an
>> adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not
>> previously been configured so it has no IP address yet?

> use an USB to serial adapter.
>
> Greets,
> Thomas

Boe

Thank you
"NETADMIN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> USB to Serial Converter is easily available in market.
> Use that for this.

Boe

Thank you
"Dophi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> There are so many USB to RS-232 converters and they are so cheap.
> You can use it to connect console cable.

BG

then hope it works.

I have tried a couple of different USB-Serial adapters and have not found
any that work reliably with all my network gear (HP, Cisco..etc). Any
models that you guys can recommend?

-Barry