Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Backing up win2k system to DVD

Backing up win2k system to DVD

John B

Just got a DVD writer.

Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.

What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the job, or is
something other recommended?

Thanks.

--
John B

Benji Thorn

The easiest way I know of doing this is with Norton Ghost. It is usually
run from a boot disck (or cdrom) and can back up your computer in a
number of ways. It can basically copy every single file (including the
boot blocks and special partitions etc... aka EVERYTHING) and store it
as a single large file which it can also compress. You can also have it
store it in X size chunks. For example DVD size chunks at 4.5gb or
whatever which you can later burn onto DVD. You would then just need a
norton ghost boot disc and your original dvds or cdroms. Beware it is a
dos disc though so you would need the norton ghost disc to have your dvd
drives dos drivers. Or you can backup your HD to a network connected
computer.

Either way it is very very very easy.

So easy my boss can even figure out how to use it lol

John B wrote:
> Just got a DVD writer.
>
> Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
>
> What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the job, or is
> something other recommended?
>
> Thanks.

Bottle Boy

"John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just got a DVD writer.
>
> Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
>
> What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the job,
> or is
> something other recommended?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> John B

There is a program called "Bootit". Try it out. I've used it and found it to
be better than Norton Ghost.

Dave Taylor

"John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Just got a DVD writer.
>
> Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
>
> What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the
> job, or is something other recommended?
>
> Thanks.

Any kind of "Drive Imaging Software" will do.

I like Ghost. Acronis has also been recommended. Knoppix also comes
with some.
Look into G4U if you have an FTP server on your lan.
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

If you really want to back up for a "Bare metal" re-install, you cannot
do it from inside the OS you are trying to backup! Files will be open.
Hence, the creation of boot floppies, CDs and One button restore on tape
drives.

Use google, you will find lots of help now you know the terms to search
for.
--
Ciao, Dave

John B

Thanks Benji, Bottle and Dave. I'll check it all out.

"Benji Thorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:421a97ec$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The easiest way I know of doing this is with Norton Ghost. It is usually
> run from a boot disck (or cdrom) and can back up your computer in a
> number of ways. It can basically copy every single file (including the
> boot blocks and special partitions etc... aka EVERYTHING) and store it
> as a single large file which it can also compress. You can also have it
> store it in X size chunks. For example DVD size chunks at 4.5gb or
> whatever which you can later burn onto DVD. You would then just need a
> norton ghost boot disc and your original dvds or cdroms. Beware it is a
> dos disc though so you would need the norton ghost disc to have your dvd
> drives dos drivers. Or you can backup your HD to a network connected
> computer.
>
> Either way it is very very very easy.
>
> So easy my boss can even figure out how to use it lol
>
> John B wrote:
> > Just got a DVD writer.
> >
> > Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
> >
> > What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the job, or

is
> > something other recommended?
> >
> > Thanks.

bok

Dave Taylor wrote:

> "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>> Just got a DVD writer.
>> Want to back up my win2k system, programmes and data.
>> What's a good programme to use for this? Would wink2k backup do the
>> job, or is something other recommended?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> If you really want to back up for a "Bare metal" re-install, you cannot
> do it from inside the OS you are trying to backup! Files will be open.
> Hence, the creation of boot floppies, CDs and One button restore on tape
> drives.

There exists backup software that *claims* to be able to take a point in
time snapshot of a partition while files are files and being updated.

However, at least one I know of doesn't do this reliably

Just this week we dealt with an issue at a customer site were a file was
corrupted on a partition being backed up because a write I/O was lost when
the backup was cancelled.

We suspect this occurred when the device driver it uses to monitor disk
writes during the backup was unhooking from the device driver chain.

The vendors web site even warns you not to use it while disk intensive
applications are running ????

--
bok