Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Running Firefox, Thunderbird and Winamp from USB stick

Running Firefox, Thunderbird and Winamp from USB stick

Dave - dave.net.nz

Benji Thorn wrote:
> I'm running Thunderbird from my 3 year old 128mb USB stick and I have
> about 400 emails from my gmail account in it plus about 3000 non binary
> newsgroups and my thunderbird folder is sitting at about 38mb. I compact
> the folders almost daily and non of my emails have big file attactments.
> A 512mb flash would be huge. I think my Firefox folder is only about 11mb.

Personally I dont like the idea form a security perspective... sure it's
convenient, but what say you drop it, then whoever picks it up has your
emails for the last x amount of time, and given enough willingness,
could probably grab your usernames and passwords from it.

Dave - dave.net.nz

Benji Thorn wrote:
> Now I can't even ping myself, damn flatmates prob kncked over the router
> or something
> *grrrrrh noises*
> Sorry guys
> Will be back up this evening when I get home, I'll post a message on
> here when I get it going. I'll set a few mirrors up aswell.

I could chuck it up on dave.net.nz if someone wants to email me the zip
or something?

Benji Thorn

There are 3 zips, 32, 12 and 11mb but my mchine is offline at the mo
I'll send you a message when I get home

I'm trying to make Linux and Windows Thunderbird & Firefox share the
same folder at the moment and play nicely with each other aswell. It's
not hard at all but the Linux version puts all these bizzare randomly
named folders in your inbox, makes no sense.

Dave - dave.net.nz wrote:
> Benji Thorn wrote:
>
>> Now I can't even ping myself, damn flatmates prob kncked over the
>> router or something
>> *grrrrrh noises*
>> Sorry guys
>> Will be back up this evening when I get home, I'll post a message on
>> here when I get it going. I'll set a few mirrors up aswell.

> I could chuck it up on dave.net.nz if someone wants to email me the zip
> or something?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Benji Thorn wrote:
> There are 3 zips, 32, 12 and 11mb but my mchine is offline at the mo
> I'll send you a message when I get home

heh, I was meaning someone who may have downloaded it could email it to
me... I really should put a file repository online somewhere... meaning
somewhere that others I know(with username/password), can dump stuff for
others.

Collector»NZ

Benji Thorn said the following on 22/02/2005 10:54 a.m.:
> I'm running Thunderbird from my 3 year old 128mb USB stick and I have
> about 400 emails from my gmail account in it plus about 3000 non binary
> newsgroups and my thunderbird folder is sitting at about 38mb. I compact
> the folders almost daily and non of my emails have big file attactments.
> A 512mb flash would be huge. I think my Firefox folder is only about 11mb.

It's not the email that fills it up, its the MP3's

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Benji Thorn

It is back up, sorry guys hehehe.

If at least 1 person finds it useful then I will get that nice happy
warm fuzzy useful glow feeling, aint the internet fun hehehe

Benji Thorn wrote:
> Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
> quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email from
> my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other computers,
> mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...
>
> http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
>
> Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

DoggNZ

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:35:21 +1300, Benji Thorn
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It is back up, sorry guys hehehe.
>
>If at least 1 person finds it useful then I will get that nice happy
>warm fuzzy useful glow feeling, aint the internet fun hehehe
>

>Benji Thorn wrote:
>> Just a little plug for a project I put together in the weekend. It's
>> quite cool, I use Thunderbird to read the newsgroups and use email from
>> my home computer, and then I take my USB stick to other computers,
>> mainly work and I use it there, all the same settings and inbox etc...
>>
>> http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
>>
>> Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

Mozilla is cranking. What's your ETA on VNC and Winamp?

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

DoggNZ

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:02:21 +1300, DoggNZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mozilla is cranking. What's your ETA on VNC and Winamp?

Oh..they're there...f**k..it's been a long day LOL!

--

DoggNZ wrote:
>>>http://mozilla.on.the.run.a.geek.nz
>>>Horridly long domain name I know, sorry about that.

> Mozilla is cranking. What's your ETA on VNC and Winamp?

VNC all you need is the exe file anyway

DoggNZ

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:27:50 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Mozilla is cranking. What's your ETA on VNC and Winamp?

>VNC all you need is the exe file anyway

Yeah I got that working better with TightVNC in the end but it doesn't
remember IP addy's