Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connection speed and Toshiba laptop!

Connection speed and Toshiba laptop!

Sarah

I have a wired/wireless network setup at home. There are 4 PC's on it. When
testing my connection speed on any networked PC, I get a reading of
2.5-3Mbps except for the Toshiba laptop ( M30 with XP home). When I test
connection speed on this Toshiba, I get a speed of 400-500Kpbs! In the
beginning I though it was a network/router problem so I unplugged everything
and I connected the Toshiba directly to the cable modem, to my surprise, I
still got a low reading of 400Kpbs! So now I get the same low speed no
matter how the Laptop is connected to the internet.

Please let me know if there is something I can do to fix this problem! Thank
you.

Jack

Hi
Try to optimize the TCP/IP Stack - -
http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Sarah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a wired/wireless network setup at home. There are 4 PC's on it.

When
> testing my connection speed on any networked PC, I get a reading of
> 2.5-3Mbps except for the Toshiba laptop ( M30 with XP home). When I test
> connection speed on this Toshiba, I get a speed of 400-500Kpbs! In the
> beginning I though it was a network/router problem so I unplugged

everything
> and I connected the Toshiba directly to the cable modem, to my surprise, I
> still got a low reading of 400Kpbs! So now I get the same low speed no
> matter how the Laptop is connected to the internet.
>
> Please let me know if there is something I can do to fix this problem!

Thank
> you.

Sarah

Thank you jack! That did not help!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Try to optimize the TCP/IP Stack - -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Sarah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a wired/wireless network setup at home. There are 4 PC's on it.

> When
>> testing my connection speed on any networked PC, I get a reading of
>> 2.5-3Mbps except for the Toshiba laptop ( M30 with XP home). When I test
>> connection speed on this Toshiba, I get a speed of 400-500Kpbs! In the
>> beginning I though it was a network/router problem so I unplugged

> everything
>> and I connected the Toshiba directly to the cable modem, to my surprise,
>> still got a low reading of 400Kpbs! So now I get the same low speed no
>> matter how the Laptop is connected to the internet.
>>
>> Please let me know if there is something I can do to fix this problem!

> Thank
>> you.

Malke

Sarah wrote:

> Thank you jack! That did not help!
>
> "Jack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Try to optimize the TCP/IP Stack - -
>> http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

>> "Sarah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have a wired/wireless network setup at home. There are 4 PC's on
>>> it.

>> When
>>> testing my connection speed on any networked PC, I get a reading of
>>> 2.5-3Mbps except for the Toshiba laptop ( M30 with XP home). When I
>>> test connection speed on this Toshiba, I get a speed of 400-500Kpbs!
>>> In the beginning I though it was a network/router problem so I
>>> unplugged

>> everything
>>> and I connected the Toshiba directly to the cable modem, to my
>>> surprise, I
>>> still got a low reading of 400Kpbs! So now I get the same low speed
>>> no matter how the Laptop is connected to the internet.

Did you ever get good speed on the Toshiba laptop? If yes, what changed?
Try updating the drivers for the network adapters from Toshiba's
website. Also, make sure the laptop is 100% spyware and virus-free. If
you think it is, what did you do to determine that?

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Sarah

Jack, That actually did it!! I had to restart the PC for the new settings to
work! Thank you very much!

Just a follow up question, What might've screwed these settings up for me?
Just curious!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...