Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL router and USB connection using Linux

ADSL router and USB connection using Linux

Ferg

Hi all.

I really want to go to Linux but I am having this prob. I want to use my
Puretek ADSL router with the USB connection and I have tried Mandrake and
Xandros. Neither detect it automatically and I can't find any software.

Any ideas?

Ferg

XPD

"Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all.
>
> I really want to go to Linux but I am having this prob. I want to use my
> Puretek ADSL router with the USB connection and I have tried Mandrake and
> Xandros. Neither detect it automatically and I can't find any software.
>
> Any ideas?

Dont use the USB option ?
If it was a decent router, itd use ethernet

jasonrumney@gmail.com

Find out which chipset it uses, then follow the appropriate link on
this page:

http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/modems.php?lang=en

steve

Ferg wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I really want to go to Linux but I am having this prob. I want to use my
> Puretek ADSL router with the USB connection and I have tried Mandrake and
> Xandros. Neither detect it automatically and I can't find any software.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ferg

I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and
then connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is
also connected to the switch.

USB - even v2 - is.......slow.

Ferg

> I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and then
> connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
> connected to the switch.
>
> USB - even v2 - is.......slow.

The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
connection.

Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go that
far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug... I
want to make that work with Linux.

Ferg

Shane (aka froggy)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:53:12 +1300, Ferg wrote:

>> I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and then
>> connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
>> connected to the switch.
>>
>> USB - even v2 - is.......slow.

> The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
> connection.
>
> Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
> internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go that
> far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug... I
> want to make that work with Linux.
>
> Ferg

spare NIC?
turn the linux box into a fw/router/gateway for the lan
of course the downside to this is you have to have the linux box on when
you want to give the second one access

Peter

Ferg wrote:
> The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
> connection.
>
> Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
> internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go
> that far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB
> plug... I want to make that work with Linux.

How about getting a switch or hub?
Then you can connect both computers, plus any others that turn up, plus
network printer, etc.

HTH

Peter

Axle

Ferg wrote:
>>I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and then
>>connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
>>connected to the switch.
>>
>>USB - even v2 - is.......slow.

> The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
> connection.
>
> Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
> internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go that
> far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug... I
> want to make that work with Linux.
>
> Ferg

Get a router, then your PC doesn't need to be running for the PC in the
next room to have access to the internet
DSE XH1151 or Dynalink RTW026 ($79 + for Wireless access point router
switch firewall 4 port)
Or add a NIC to your PC

Dave - Dave.net.nz

steve wrote:
> USB - even v2 - is.......slow.

400Mbps slow... ok then.

Ferg

"Shane (aka froggy)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:53:12 +1300, Ferg wrote:
>

>>> I plug my router into a 100mbps ethernet switch - via ethernet - and
>>> then
>>> connect all other systems to the switch OR the wireless AP which is also
>>> connected to the switch.
>>>
>>> USB - even v2 - is.......slow.

>> The thing is I have a router with one USB connection and one ethernet
>> connection.
>>
>> Linux would work fine with the ethernet connection but I want to share my
>> internet with someone in the next room. I understand that USB don't go
>> that
>> far... So as I want the router next to my computer I get the USB plug...
>> want to make that work with Linux.
>>
>> Ferg

> spare NIC?
> turn the linux box into a fw/router/gateway for the lan
> of course the downside to this is you have to have the linux box on when
> you want to give the second one access

I think I will buy a router or an ADSL router with 4 ethernet sockets...

Ferg

adsl router to adsl router czar Cisco 2 05-01-2007 05:42 AM
Sweex ADSL Annex-A wired ADSL Router Switch Alex Clarke Computer Support 2 10-15-2005 11:34 PM
ADSL router as ATA without ADSL bit? Adam Aglionby UK VOIP 2 08-24-2005 12:07 AM
Linux-Cisco-ADSL-Cisco-Linux Connection hangs.... Adrian de los Santos Cisco 6 07-22-2003 04:44 AM

Advertisments