Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Weta for rent...

Weta for rent...

Dave - Dave.net.nz

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21238

"LORD OF the Rings director Peter Jackson is renting out the
supercomputer he used to do the special effects for his movies to a
mysterious chip developer from the US."

and further here.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking/...?oneclick=true
"A US computer chip company and a Canadian biotech firm are among the
first customers of the New Zealand Supercomputing Centre set up in
downtown Wellington by Peter Jackson's special effects shop Weta Digital
and Telecom."

DoggNZ

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:49:09 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21238
>
>"LORD OF the Rings director Peter Jackson is renting out the
>supercomputer he used to do the special effects for his movies to a
>mysterious chip developer from the US."
>
>and further here.
>
>http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking/...?oneclick=true
>"A US computer chip company and a Canadian biotech firm are among the
>first customers of the New Zealand Supercomputing Centre set up in
>downtown Wellington by Peter Jackson's special effects shop Weta Digital
>and Telecom."

What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Dave - Dave.net.nz

DoggNZ wrote:
>>http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking/...?oneclick=true
>>"A US computer chip company and a Canadian biotech firm are among the
>>first customers of the New Zealand Supercomputing Centre set up in
>>downtown Wellington by Peter Jackson's special effects shop Weta Digital
>>and Telecom."

> What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

they were(so Im told by a guy who works there), but it consumes so much
power that it isn't worth it.

they used it during the downtime in LOTR to keep the machines busy, as
apparently it is bad to turn off the AC in there or something to that
effect.

Dave Taylor

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:37cnorF5cra47U1
@individual.net:

> What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

SETI, bah...
Help Humans first!
http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

--
Ciao, Dave

~misfit~

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:37cnorF5cra47U1 @individual.net:
>
>> What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

> SETI, bah...
> Help Humans first!
> http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think anything
discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge? They're looking
into making better drugs and they're going to make billions of dollars out
of the computers of misguided philanthropists who sign up and donate their
electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just tug at the heart-strings? Help
people, cure disease, save lives. They just neglected to mention the "Make
us $billions" part.

Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and more
powerful than they already are.
--
~misfit~

Dave Taylor

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
> corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think
> anything discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge?
> They're looking into making better drugs and they're going to make
> billions of dollars out of the computers of misguided philanthropists
> who sign up and donate their electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just
> tug at the heart-strings? Help people, cure disease, save lives. They
> just neglected to mention the "Make us $billions" part.
>
> Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and more
> powerful than they already are.
> --
> ~misfit~

If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how is
that a bad thing?

--
Ciao, Dave

~misfit~

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
>> corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think
>> anything discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge?
>> They're looking into making better drugs and they're going to make
>> billions of dollars out of the computers of misguided philanthropists
>> who sign up and donate their electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just
>> tug at the heart-strings? Help people, cure disease, save lives. They
>> just neglected to mention the "Make us $billions" part.
>>
>> Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and
>> more powerful than they already are.

> If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how
> is that a bad thing?

The world is overpopulated, people need to die. We can't go keeping
everybody alive. Especially if an American corporation is making millions
out of it.
--
~misfit~........ Whose best friend died two weeks ago of un-diagnosed
diabetes-related heart problems, age 44.

Axle

~misfit~ wrote:
> Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:37cnorF5cra47U1 @individual.net:
>>

>>> What?! They aren't crunching SETI on it?

>>SETI, bah...
>>Help Humans first!
>>http://folding.stanford.edu/results.html

> Help humans? You're joking right? Don't you mean help the medical
> corporations who gave Stanford grants to make millions? You think anything
> discovered is going to be of benefit to you free of charge? They're looking
> into making better drugs and they're going to make billions of dollars out
> of the computers of misguided philanthropists who sign up and donate their
> electicity and CPU time. Doesn't it just tug at the heart-strings? Help
> people, cure disease, save lives. They just neglected to mention the "Make
> us $billions" part.
>
> Good plan! Make American pharmacuetical companies even richer and more
> powerful than they already are.
> --
> ~misfit~

Yeah I'd rather try and find extraterrestrials to cure diseases :-\

Dave - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
>>If it helps to come up for a cure that was not available before, how
>>is that a bad thing?

> The world is overpopulated, people need to die. We can't go keeping
> everybody alive. Especially if an American corporation is making millions
> out of it.

Indeed it is over-populated, a little culling is certainly needed to
keep the herd healthy... and mildly linked...

There was some discussion on the numbers of people dying from "terrorist
attacks"*, and what they came up with was that other than shifting the
deaths from the US to Iraq, "Terrorism related deaths" have increased if
any change at all.

> ~misfit~........ Whose best friend died two weeks ago of un-diagnosed
> diabetes-related heart problems, age 44.

that sucks... I assume you mean un-diagnosed until he died?

*I personally hate the word terrorist... what sort of attack that
involves death, doesnt incite terror? wouldn't that make all attacks
resulting in death "terrorist acts"

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> *I personally hate the word terrorist... what sort of attack that
> involves death, doesnt incite terror? wouldn't that make all attacks
> resulting in death "terrorist acts"

heh, further to that, wouldn't that make making a terrifying horror
movie a terrorist act... rotfl