Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Replacing HD

Replacing HD

Baranggay Ginebra

I want to replace my HD with a larger one. However I have heaps
of software installed on the old hd and I don't want to re-install all
of them on the new one. It might take a whole day. Is there any easy
way to transfers these installations on the new hd ?

thanks

DoggNZ

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:48:37 +1300, "Baranggay Ginebra" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I want to replace my HD with a larger one. However I have heaps
>of software installed on the old hd and I don't want to re-install all
>of them on the new one. It might take a whole day. Is there any easy
>way to transfers these installations on the new hd ?
>
>thanks

Ghosting?

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Baranggay Ginebra wrote:
> I want to replace my HD with a larger one. However I have heaps
> of software installed on the old hd and I don't want to re-install all
> of them on the new one. It might take a whole day. Is there any easy
> way to transfers these installations on the new hd ?

an imaging software tool like ghost or true image
both cost($90, well worth it), although you could probably download them
from some site or other if thats your bag.

colinco

In article Baranggay Ginebra says...
> I want to replace my HD with a larger one. However I have heaps
> of software installed on the old hd and I don't want to re-install all
> of them on the new one. It might take a whole day. Is there any easy
> way to transfers these installations on the new hd ?
>
> thanks

Check the drive manufacturer's site for utility software to transfer to
content of your old drive to the new one.

J.wilson

"Baranggay Ginebra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to replace my HD with a larger one. However I have heaps
> of software installed on the old hd and I don't want to re-install all
> of them on the new one. It might take a whole day. Is there any easy
> way to transfers these installations on the new hd ?
>
> thanks

I did this a couple of months ago. I used Seagate's Discwizard
program, a free download, which did everything.
Partitioned, formated and ghost copied. Very easy to use.

Steve Marshall

>Ghosting?

some guides to Norton Ghost:

http://ghost.radified.com/

http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

Dave Taylor

colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.1c7a8a5be68f50569898b4
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> In article Baranggay Ginebra says...
>> I want to replace my HD with a larger one. However I have heaps
>> of software installed on the old hd and I don't want to re-install all
>> of them on the new one. It might take a whole day. Is there any easy
>> way to transfers these installations on the new hd ?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Check the drive manufacturer's site for utility software to transfer to
> content of your old drive to the new one.

Like Maxblast from Maxtor for instance.

--
Ciao, Dave