Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > someone here is infected...

someone here is infected...

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.

I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
my old nicks still.

Impossible

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
> guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
>
> I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
> working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
> my old nicks still.

I know it often seems like a private club here, but this is a public
newsgroup. Tell me, please, you're not going to make an issue of every bit
of spam that comes your way.

thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
> guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
>
> I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
> working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
> my old nicks still.

Its know as trawling for email addresses in the news archives. I have
not used a real email address in news groups for years, (like 4+) yet
new spam finds my old un-used addresses, which I fetchmail still.

regards

Thing

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Impossible wrote:
>>Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
>>guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
>>
>>I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
>>working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
>>my old nicks still.

> I know it often seems like a private club here, but this is a public
> newsgroup. Tell me, please, you're not going to make an issue of every bit
> of spam that comes your way.

nah... just thought it might be worth mentioning, might provoke someone
here to check their machien and say "****, it's me"... Because of the
number of them received, I'm assuming that others in this group have
also received them(those of us that use a real address).

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e

Ryan Jacobs

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of
wisdom....

Oh ****! I just checked - it was me. Nah, just kidding.

>.. Because of the
>number of them received, I'm assuming that others in this group have
>also received them(those of us that use a real address).

A real address. WTF is that. One of us needs to go and lie down for a
while

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>>.. Because of the
>>number of them received, I'm assuming that others in this group have
>>also received them(those of us that use a real address).

> A real address. WTF is that.

/me meant "a real *email* address"

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

xlo

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Today I've got spam from "you guys"... well, it's addressed from you
> guys... it's coming from an IP based in Korea... grrr.
>
> I guess its either someone who used to hang around in here, or it's
> working from ages back in the group before it gets to now as it is using
> my old nicks still.

One of my email accounts has been getting hundreds of bounce messages
from all over the planet over the past couple of days.
Seems a spambot zombie machine has harvested my email address and put it
in the return path in the headers. AFAIK, I haven't posted the address
unmunged on usenet.
I think I'll have to kill the email a/c.
I don't think that the returned email spam headers offer much help in
tracing the offending machine:

From: "MakeMoney" <(E-Mail Removed)>
To: <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: Be ready for retirement