Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > sony cybershot cameras any good?

sony cybershot cameras any good?

Chris Hope

My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

Ryan Jacobs

Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of
wisdom....

>My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
>spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
>their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
>she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

We got a Sony DSC-V1 about 14 months ago. It has been excellent so
far. Can't comment about other brands - but Sony rocks

Also, whatever brand you go for, make sure you get sufficient
memory(stick, CF, etc) because most cameras only seem to come with the
minimum - and you will need extra capicity.

HTHs

Chris Hope

Ryan Jacobs wrote:

> Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of
> wisdom....
>
>>My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and
>>not spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering
>>what their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands?
>>Neither she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very
>>important.

> We got a Sony DSC-V1 about 14 months ago. It has been excellent so
> far. Can't comment about other brands - but Sony rocks
>
> Also, whatever brand you go for, make sure you get sufficient
> memory(stick, CF, etc) because most cameras only seem to come with the
> minimum - and you will need extra capicity.

I know all about that - I have a Canon 10D SLR with a 512MB CF card.
Never managed to max it out yet even with high quality jpegs (I can fit
something like 200 high quality jpegs on it).

BIG Bear @bearmat.com.au

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:35:45 +1300, Chris Hope <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
>spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
>their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
>she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

I have 2 Sony's one is Great 717 but the W1 is not to hot and some reviews
and personal comments state the same..

Try this site for personal reviews and site reviews and Forums

http://www.dpreview.com/

The W1 has just been replaced with the W3, but does it come in black..?

Jedmeister

"Chris Hope" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cuc0ho$rrf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
> spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
> their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
> she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.
>
> --
> Chris Hope - The Electric Toolbox - http://www.electrictoolbox.com/

My dsc-p100 5mp is nice for shots in bright light although sometimes the
photos look a little 'smooth'. In general indoor shots are poor. Unless
the subject is very still, shots taken from this camera will show motion
blur.

Actually, my opinion is that the dsc-p100 is not as good as the previous
model, dsc-p5 3.2mp.

My

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
>spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
>their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
>she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

http://www.steves-digicams.com will answer your questions, good
reviews...

Peter

Chris Hope wrote:
> My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
> spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
> their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
> she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

We bought a Sony DSC-P71 3.2mp a couple of years ago - it's been just great!

Peter

BTMO

"Chris Hope" <> wrote

> I know all about that - I have a Canon 10D SLR with a 512MB CF card.
> Never managed to max it out yet even with high quality jpegs (I can fit
> something like 200 high quality jpegs on it).

I have a 20D and two 1gig cards. I shoot in raw, and max them out
regularly...

I take a LOT of pictures when the mood takes me...

Cheers,

Brenton

A.D.

Chris Hope wrote:
> My mother's wanting to buy a point and shoot type digital camera and not
> spend too much. I can get Sony stuff wholesale and was wondering what
> their Cybershot cameras are like. Any opinions on other brands? Neither
> she or my father are very technical so ease of use is very important.

I spent 6 months literally cruising thru Sony reviews, waiting for 5
megapixel Sony camera's to come down in price, etc. Asked experts,
salespeople, photographers, you name it.

I bought a Canon, but if you do buy Sony...

Outcome 1: A Cybershot is the way to go with simple point and click.

Outcome 2: Do not use digital zoom, turn it off for your parents. It
will make blurry photos.

Outcome 3: Buy the accessory pack with the extra battery and memory
card. I spent a half day at the Auckland Zoo and the battery just
lasted. Take a photo.. doesn't look right... delete... reshoot... etc.

A.D.

Chris Hope

BTMO wrote:

> "Chris Hope" <> wrote
>
>> I know all about that - I have a Canon 10D SLR with a 512MB CF card.
>> Never managed to max it out yet even with high quality jpegs (I can
>> fit something like 200 high quality jpegs on it).

> I have a 20D and two 1gig cards. I shoot in raw, and max them out
> regularly...

Yes, easy to do when shooting raw. I haven't done any in raw yet but I
think I worked out you can only fit about 20 on a half gig card.

I was so ****ed off when I saw the 20D come out
Still, I bought my 10D about a year ago so can't be too ****ed off...