Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dell computers

Dell computers

Nick Withers

A friend of mine is thinking of buying a Dell $999 computer from the
Warehouse.
Has anyone had any experience of one of these?
Are they upgradeable?
A good buy, or not?
Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Nick Withers wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

yep.

> Are they upgradeable?

you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but
I dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so
they'd have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.

> A good buy, or not?

for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
bad"

> Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
> deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to fix.

Baranggay Ginebra

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick Withers wrote:
> > Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

> yep.
>
> > Are they upgradeable?

> you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but
> I dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so
> they'd have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.
>
> > A good buy, or not?

> for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
> bad"
>
> > Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
> > deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

> It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to fix.

further to that. Is this model only available for The Warehouse ? Will it be
more expensive if you go directly to Dell for the same specs?

cheers

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Baranggay Ginebra wrote:
> further to that. Is this model only available for The Warehouse ? Will it be
> more expensive if you go directly to Dell for the same specs?

same model is slightly better spec'd(faster processor, and 512MB ram)
when buying from Dell, and slightly more expensive($100 I think it was
last time I checked).

I assume that they are the end of line models that they want to get rid of.

xlo

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Nick Withers wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

> yep.
>
>> Are they upgradeable?

> you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but
> I dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so
> they'd have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.
>
>> A good buy, or not?

> for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
> bad"
>
>> Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a
>> better deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

> It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to fix.

I have dealt with Global PC a few times, and have found them good to
deal with, good and fast on a warranty support issue (not their fault
when a CPU died), and if you want to look a bit closer about what your
friend might need on the PC that he is considering, then you can discuss
options with them to get what you want at a fair price, not just take
what is offered.

Matthias

Nick Withers wrote:

> Are they upgradeable?

You might as well just buy a new $999 computer after a couple of years...

-- Matthias

Nick Withers

Thanks, I think Global would have the better deal.

I have to upgrade my hard drive and their prices seem reasonable. My
backup H/D has failed and Global tested it for me for free.

Matthias wrote:
> Nick Withers wrote:
>
>> Are they upgradeable?

> You might as well just buy a new $999 computer after a couple of years...
>
> -- Matthias

Daniel

Nick Withers wrote:
> A friend of mine is thinking of buying a Dell $999 computer from the
> Warehouse.
> Has anyone had any experience of one of these?
> Are they upgradeable?
> A good buy, or not?
> Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
> deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

Considered the DSE Scoop 2200?

Tim

Ditto. I go to GPC for spares sometimes.

Given the choice of a Dell @ $999 or GPC @ $100 more, without doubt GPC. The
Dell may be OK, but you never know when you will hit a brick wall -
something in the bios doesn't work, something else is non standard (PSU's
were non standard for a while)....

"xlo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> Nick Withers wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

>> yep.
>>
>>> Are they upgradeable?

>> you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but I
>> dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so they'd
>> have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.
>>
>>> A good buy, or not?

>> for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
>> bad"
>>
>>> Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
>>> deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

>> It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to
>> fix.

> I have dealt with Global PC a few times, and have found them good to deal
> with, good and fast on a warranty support issue (not their fault when a
> CPU died), and if you want to look a bit closer about what your friend
> might need on the PC that he is considering, then you can discuss options
> with them to get what you want at a fair price, not just take what is
> offered.

Jerry

but who in their right mind would take the advice of a top poster?

Jerry