Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Open Source--the case strengthens

Reply
Thread Tools

Open Source--the case strengthens

 
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
time of MySQL
<http://news.com.com/Study+Few+bugs+i...1002_3-5563918
..html>, with a similarly positive result.

The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
produce a higher-quality result than closed source.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence DčOliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
>that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
>time of MySQL
><http://news.com.com/Study+Few+bugs+i...1002_3-5563918
>.html>, with a similarly positive result.
>
>The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
>produce a higher-quality result than closed source.




Not if the SCO & MS have there way..

Plus how many Games run under it..??


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ryan Jacobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005

<BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Plus how many Games run under it..??
>
>


LOL wogor!

Computing is not JUST about gaming!

If you want gaming ability, buy a friggin playstation.


 
Reply With Quote
 
wogers nemesis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:30:23 +1300, BIG Bear wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence DčOliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
>>that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
>>time of MySQL
>><http://news.com.com/Study+Few+bugs+i...1002_3-5563918
>>.html>, with a similarly positive result.
>>
>>The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
>>produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

>
>
>
> Not if the SCO & MS have there way..
>
> Plus how many Games run under it..??


Why are MS releasing their buggy code as open source now
SCO - I thought people had forgetten about them.
 
Reply With Quote
 
NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:34:32 +1300, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

>
> <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Plus how many Games run under it..??
>>
>>

>
> LOL wogor!
>
> Computing is not JUST about gaming!
>
> If you want gaming ability, buy a friggin playstation.


I did a quick tally of the games presently installed on my Linux
workstation.

63 games.


Divine

--
"Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult
for their advocates to occupy any high moral ground."

 
Reply With Quote
 
froggy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:26:26 +1300, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:34:32 +1300, Ryan Jacobs wrote:
>
>>
>> <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Plus how many Games run under it..??
>>>
>>>

>>
>> LOL wogor!
>>
>> Computing is not JUST about gaming!
>>
>> If you want gaming ability, buy a friggin playstation.

>
> I did a quick tally of the games presently installed on my Linux
> workstation.
>
> 63 games.
>
>
> Divine



www.bzflag.org

--

Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

 
Reply With Quote
 
Adder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sun,
06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence DčOliveiro <ldo@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> says...
> Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
> that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
> time of MySQL
> <http://news.com.com/Study+Few+bugs+i...1002_3-5563918
> .html>, with a similarly positive result.
>
> The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
> produce a higher-quality result than closed source.


uh uh, the nasa software team prdouces very high quality closed sourc
code

it is not the ideology - it is the methodology

 
Reply With Quote
 
Allistar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:14:17 +1300, Lawrence DčOliveiro
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>>Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
>>that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
>>time of MySQL
>><http://news.com.com/Study+Few+bugs+i...1002_3-5563918
>>.html>, with a similarly positive result.
>>
>>The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
>>produce a higher-quality result than closed source.

>
>
>
> Not if the SCO & MS have there way..


I'm not sure if SCO and MS can in any way prevent open source from producing
higher-quality results than closed source, no matter what they do.

> Plus how many Games run under it..??


That was not the point.

Allistar.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
froggy wrote:
>>>If you want gaming ability, buy a friggin playstation.


>>I did a quick tally of the games presently installed on my Linux
>>workstation.
>>63 games.


> www.bzflag.org


downloading now
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2005
Errm, no the evidence merely states the number of bugs found in MySQL and
the Linux core. It gives no comparision, additionally the "Linux Core" would
be extremely hard to compare with Windows.

Additionally they only reported 1 serious security flaw in MySQL yet I can
go through my attack pattern files and find at least half a dozen relatively
quickly.



"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Following on from the previous study of the Linux kernel source code
> that found a remarkably low incidence of bugs, here's another one, this
> time of MySQL
> <http://news.com.com/Study+Few+bugs+i...1002_3-5563918
> .html>, with a similarly positive result.
>
> The evidence is steadily strengthening that open source really does
> produce a higher-quality result than closed source.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When Declining To Enforce Your Intellectual Property Rights Strengthens Your Market Position Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 0 01-20-2010 11:27 PM
lower case to upper case Janice C Programming 17 12-14-2004 02:35 PM
how to case select with case-insensitive string ? Tee ASP .Net 3 06-23-2004 07:40 PM
Possible to turn on/off cookieless sessions dynamically on a case by case basis at run-time? Steve Franks ASP .Net 2 06-10-2004 02:04 PM
Scorsese Collection: Keep case vs Snap case Ray DVD Video 0 05-30-2004 04:04 AM



Advertisments