Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Checking Xtra mail through another ISP

Checking Xtra mail through another ISP

SchoolTech

A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra
mail through another ISP.

What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
our Paradise cable.

E. Scrooge

"SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra mail
>through another ISP.
>
> What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this? I've
> got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra account
> instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use dialup but it
> would be an advantage to have their connectivity through our Paradise
> cable.

All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under "accounts"
in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account would still be
the default account of course. While connected to Paradise as usual, he
then manually selects to check his Xtra email account. He can get the
emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have to reply from Paradise,
unless he connects up through his Xtra account if he wants to reply back
from his Xtra address.
No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I can
check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup he only
has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from a
cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible or not.
That would be the only catch.

Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal if
it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
already tried it and was **** out of luck. Is that why the questions about
another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?

E. Scrooge

YAnewswatcher

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
> I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
> account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
> dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
> our Paradise cable.

There shouldn't be any special products involved. Any email application
can retrieve from a POP server with just the logon name and password. Or
you can access it via Webmail and any browser.

Uploading email is a different story. To stop spammers dumping their
junk willy-nilly, you must post your outgoing emails through the SMTP
server of the ISP you are connected with, so they can tell who you are.
(or do it via webmail)

I subscribe via iHug but pick up mail from a business account at
Paradise, during the same mail call on both Eudora and Mail.app,
depending on which computer I'm using. No problems.

--
YAnewsWatcher.

Collector»NZ

E. Scrooge said the following on 6/02/2005 9:42 p.m.:
> "SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra mail
>>through another ISP.
>>
>>What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this? I've
>>got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra account
>>instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use dialup but it
>>would be an advantage to have their connectivity through our Paradise
>>cable.

> All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under "accounts"
> in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account would still be
> the default account of course. While connected to Paradise as usual, he
> then manually selects to check his Xtra email account. He can get the
> emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have to reply from Paradise,
> unless he connects up through his Xtra account if he wants to reply back
> from his Xtra address.
> No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I can
> check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup he only
> has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
> The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from a
> cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible or not.
> That would be the only catch.
>
> Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
> Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal if
> it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
> already tried it and was **** out of luck. Is that why the questions about
> another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?
>
> E. Scrooge

EHHH Wrong. Good solution description but the problem is that Xtra do
not allow pop from outside there own network. They allow pop via
authentication using some third party stuff but it is messy and IIRC
only works with some other providers, none of them NZ based.

My solution for a client who traveled to the USA wa to get him a free
for life email account with Orcon, set up his xtra account to foward his
mail to it. He was then able to pop that where ever he was so long as he
had an internet connection.

Perhaps the poster could set him up with an alias email account at
paradise and do something similar.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Collector»NZ

YAnewswatcher said the following on 6/02/2005 9:47 p.m.:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
>>I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
>>account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
>>dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
>>our Paradise cable.

> There shouldn't be any special products involved. Any email application
> can retrieve from a POP server with just the logon name and password. Or
> you can access it via Webmail and any browser.
>
> Uploading email is a different story. To stop spammers dumping their
> junk willy-nilly, you must post your outgoing emails through the SMTP
> server of the ISP you are connected with, so they can tell who you are.
> (or do it via webmail)
>
> I subscribe via iHug but pick up mail from a business account at
> Paradise, during the same mail call on both Eudora and Mail.app,
> depending on which computer I'm using. No problems.

Trouble is xtra do not allow pop or smtp from outside there own network
so if you are connected via say Paradise you cannot pop an xtra email box.

They have a third party roaming solution (paid for of course per use)
which will work with nominated services overseas but not in NZ.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

E. Scrooge

"Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge said the following on 6/02/2005 9:42 p.m.:
>> "SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra
>>>mail through another ISP.
>>>
>>>What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
>>>I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
>>>account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
>>>dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
>>>our Paradise cable.

>> All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under
>> "accounts" in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account
>> would still be the default account of course. While connected to
>> Paradise as usual, he then manually selects to check his Xtra email
>> account. He can get the emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have
>> to reply from Paradise, unless he connects up through his Xtra account if
>> he wants to reply back from his Xtra address.
>> No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I
>> can check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup
>> he only has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
>> The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from
>> a cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible or
>> not. That would be the only catch.
>>
>> Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
>> Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal
>> if it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
>> already tried it and was **** out of luck. Is that why the questions
>> about another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?
>>
>> E. Scrooge

> EHHH Wrong. Good solution description but the problem is that Xtra do not
> allow pop from outside there own network. They allow pop via
> authentication using some third party stuff but it is messy and IIRC only
> works with some other providers, none of them NZ based.
>
> My solution for a client who traveled to the USA wa to get him a free for
> life email account with Orcon, set up his xtra account to foward his mail
> to it. He was then able to pop that where ever he was so long as he had an
> internet connection.
>
> Perhaps the poster could set him up with an alias email account at
> paradise and do something similar.

Thanks.
Well that's real handy of Xtra. The only other thing he could do is to go
to Xtra website and use webmail to check his Xtra emails, or does he have to
be connected through Xtra to do that as well?
If that doesn't work he might be better to just dial out to his Xtra
account. Be a good enough reason for him to get a better ISP. Then he
would be able to check his ISP email from the Paradise account.

E. Scrooge

Adder

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in
nz.comp on Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:47:47 +1300, YAnewswatcher
<(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> SchoolTech <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > What was the product that for a small additional charge enables this?
> > I've got a staff member who for privacy reasons uses a separate Xtra
> > account instead of the school's mail server. At the moment they use
> > dialup but it would be an advantage to have their connectivity through
> > our Paradise cable.

> There shouldn't be any special products involved. Any email application
> can retrieve from a POP server with just the logon name and password.

bullcrap

any Isp can block there pop server from being accessed except from a
restruicted range of Ips. Xtra does this

> Or
> you can access it via Webmail and any browser.

most webmails such bigtime

Allistar

*sling wrote:

> "Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> E. Scrooge said the following on 6/02/2005 9:42 p.m.:
>>> "SchoolTech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> All he needs to do is add his Xtra email account settings under
>>> "accounts" in the email program (on OE at least). The Paradise account
>>> would still be the default account of course. While connected to
>>> Paradise as usual, he then manually selects to check his Xtra email
>>> account. He can get the emails in from his Xtra addresss, but will have
>>> to reply from Paradise, unless he connects up through his Xtra account
>>> if he wants to reply back from his Xtra address.
>>> No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway. I
>>> can check my ihug addresses from Slingshot, and vice versa. Once setup
>>> he only has to select send/receive to check his Xtra address.
>>> The only possible problem could be trying to check a dialup account from
>>> a cable connection. Others might be able to tell you if it's possible
>>> or not. That would be the only catch.
>>>
>>> Since no one else has replied you'll have to make do with this for now.
>>> Trying to check his Xtra emails from cable on Paradise will soon reveal
>>> if it's possible or not. On dialup there'd be no worries. Perhaps he's
>>> already tried it and was **** out of luck. Is that why the questions
>>> about another product and charges after the obvious wouldn't work?
>>>
>>> E. Scrooge

>> EHHH Wrong. Good solution description but the problem is that Xtra do not
>> allow pop from outside there own network. They allow pop via
>> authentication using some third party stuff but it is messy and IIRC only
>> works with some other providers, none of them NZ based.
>>
>> My solution for a client who traveled to the USA wa to get him a free for
>> life email account with Orcon, set up his xtra account to foward his mail
>> to it. He was then able to pop that where ever he was so long as he had
>> an internet connection.
>>
>> Perhaps the poster could set him up with an alias email account at
>> paradise and do something similar.

> Thanks.
> Well that's real handy of Xtra. The only other thing he could do is to go
> to Xtra website and use webmail to check his Xtra emails, or does he have
> to be connected through Xtra to do that as well?
> If that doesn't work he might be better to just dial out to his Xtra
> account. Be a good enough reason for him to get a better ISP. Then he
> would be able to check his ISP email from the Paradise account.
>
> E. Scrooge

If the xtra account is an ADSL one and is always on, then it wouldn't be too
hard to set up a proxy of some kind to access the server. Could do remote X
or use ssh to do this to.

Allistar.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

E. Scrooge wrote:
>>A little while back I remember there was a discussion on checking Xtra mail
>>through another ISP.

> No charges no extra software needed, not for OE anyway uses anyway.

not quite... Xtra block access to their pop3 servers from outside of
their network... an account add-on is necessary.

Dave - Dave.net.nz