Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wireless Gear Recommendations

Wireless Gear Recommendations

BB

Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap of
crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.

So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router for the
house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked up to my
ethernet switch in the gottage.

What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP setup.

BB
NZ

ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...

BB

> So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router for the
> house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked up to my
> ethernet switch in the gottage.
>
> What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP setup.

Does the DLink 624+ have a point to point bridging mode? Does anyone know?

Rgds

BB
BZ

-=rjh=-

BB wrote:
> Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap of
> crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.
>
> So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router for the
> house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked up to my
> ethernet switch in the gottage.
>
> What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP setup.
>
> BB
> NZ
>
> ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...

Well, I've got a D-Link DWL2000AP+ which performed flawlessly for the
first few months I had it; now, however, it needs resetting a couple of
times every day. Which makes it pretty well useless. Nothing in my setup
(or, AFAIK, my neighbours) has changed since I bought the AP.

Symptoms are that networking slows right down to a crawl (the D-Link
monitor app shows very low and intermittent rates), but Netstumbler
shows no change in signal strength, and I can usually access the
management interface to reset the device.

YMMV, but I'm not recommending D-Link to anyone.

I'm starting to think that the whole computing market is full of gear
and technology and ideas that just don't work well enough, but WiFi is
particularly bad. I have never bought a wireless product from DSE, for
example, that I didn't take back.

cheers

SteveM

-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> BB wrote:
>> Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap
>> of crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.
>>
>> So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router
>> for the house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked
>> up to my ethernet switch in the gottage.
>>
>> What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP
>> setup.
>>
>> BB
>> NZ
>>
>> ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...
>>

> Well, I've got a D-Link DWL2000AP+ which performed flawlessly for the
> first few months I had it; now, however, it needs resetting a couple
> of times every day. Which makes it pretty well useless. Nothing in my
> setup (or, AFAIK, my neighbours) has changed since I bought the AP.
>
> Symptoms are that networking slows right down to a crawl (the D-Link
> monitor app shows very low and intermittent rates), but Netstumbler
> shows no change in signal strength, and I can usually access the
> management interface to reset the device.
>
> YMMV, but I'm not recommending D-Link to anyone.
>
> I'm starting to think that the whole computing market is full of gear
> and technology and ideas that just don't work well enough, but WiFi is
> particularly bad. I have never bought a wireless product from DSE, for
> example, that I didn't take back.
>
> cheers

If you are looking at splitting the DSL and wireless functions across two
seperate units then I would suggest looking at the Linksys WRT54G
Wireless router. They are a completely different beast to the WAG54G and
have great community support regards firmware / hacking.
My one has been up for 76 days without missing a beat (currently using
beta Sevasoft firmware)

As for the DSL side of things ????, but if you found something that you
could bridge to the WRT54G using PPPoE then at least you would not have
the hassle of double natting etc.............

SteveM

Allistar

BB wrote:

> Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap of
> crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.
>
> So now I'm in the market for a reliable wireless ADSL Modem/router for the
> house and a same brand AP or bridge to connect the PCs hooked up to my
> ethernet switch in the gottage.
>
> What's recommended? I've considered a Dlink G604T and Dlink 2100AP setup.
>
> BB
> NZ
>
> ps apologies for bringing this thread to life again...

I have a Netgear DG834G and am very happy with it. I get a 54Mb connection
over wireless (802.11g). It's also a switching router, ADSL modem and has
quite a few firewall options. Havne't had a problem with it so far.

Allistar.

whoisthis

In article <4203b7e1$(E-Mail Removed)>, "BB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Let me start by saying I'm replacing my Linksys WAG54G as it's a heap of
> crap. Please don't think I'd ever buy Linksys gear again.

Have to agree there, the WAG54G is the WORST piece of computing gear I
have bought in over 20 years. I will be attempting to get my money back
under the fair trade act as it is NOT suitable for the purposes it was
sold for, ie a reliable wireless connection.

I am interested is the ADSL/ 802.11g package that works well for a
Mac/PC set up

2.4 Ghz Wireless Gear Recommendations T.N.O. NZ Computing 1 11-11-2009 04:45 AM
Case Gear X-Plug 450W Modular Acrylic PSU Silverstrand Front Page News 0 10-24-2005 01:49 PM
wireless gear Andrew NZ Computing 9 10-04-2005 05:01 PM
Cheap gear for my mods RObErT_RaTh Case Modding 21 09-23-2005 03:47 AM
Re: Net Gear Christian v. Ditfurth Wireless Networking 0 08-26-2004 05:04 AM

Advertisments