Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux/Mac/Windows... apparently it doesnt matter.

Reply
Thread Tools

Linux/Mac/Windows... apparently it doesnt matter.

 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-03-2005
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...tid=100008&p=1
(page seems to display oddly in mozilla suite)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-03-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065


has brief run down of it.

> http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...tid=100008&p=1
> (page seems to display oddly in mozilla suite)


subscription needed, bugmenot has one.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brett Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ctuusd$2ep$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065
>>

> *SNIP*
>
> Having seen the test results before they became subscription-only, I
> found the veiled dig at how little MS provides rather amusing,
> particularly since their OS was also the most expensive by quite some
> margin.
> For those who didn't see it, Windows XP was the only OS unable to open
> an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
> viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.
>
> --
> Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
> "Veni, vidi, velcro...
> I came, I saw, I stuck around"
>
> My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet


Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brett Roberts
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ctuusd$2ep$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065
>>

> *SNIP*
>
> Having seen the test results before they became subscription-only, I
> found the veiled dig at how little MS provides rather amusing,
> particularly since their OS was also the most expensive by quite some
> margin.
> For those who didn't see it, Windows XP was the only OS unable to open
> an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
> viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.
>
> --
> Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
> "Veni, vidi, velcro...
> I came, I saw, I stuck around"
>
> My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet


And there is a no-cost (other than time and bandwidth) Excel viewer
available at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
Brett Roberts wrote:
>
> Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet


Most Linux distros come with an app that can open xls files, eg OpenOffice.

HTH

Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
Axel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
Peter wrote:
> Brett Roberts wrote:
>
>>Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet

>
>
> Most Linux distros come with an app that can open xls files, eg OpenOffice.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter
>


Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21065
>

*SNIP*

Having seen the test results before they became subscription-only, I
found the veiled dig at how little MS provides rather amusing,
particularly since their OS was also the most expensive by quite some
margin.
For those who didn't see it, Windows XP was the only OS unable to open
an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
In article <420300a7$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Brett Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:ctuusd$2ep$(E-Mail Removed)...

*SNIP*
>> an Excel spreadsheet. All others were supplied with software capable of
>> viewing it. Which makes the price of XP seem even more unreasonable.


>Please explain to me how Linux can open an Excel spreadsheet
>

Gnumeric and OpenOffice, to name but two applications that are capable
of opening Excel documents. I didn't say Linux itself could, I said it
was supplied with software that could.
And your Excel Viewer doesn't allow one to edit the spreadsheet.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
 
Reply With Quote
 
Axel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
Matthew Poole wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Axel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Peter wrote:

>
> *SNIP*
>
>>Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.
>>

>
> In this particular instance, it had to be an application that was
> supplied in the same box as the OS.


Sounds like an arbitrary tilt of the the playing field.
Its crossplatform freeware, how neutral can you get ?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Axel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Peter wrote:

*SNIP*
>Either way you can download and use openoffice or get it on CD.
>

In this particular instance, it had to be an application that was
supplied in the same box as the OS.
So, once again, we see that XP is horrendously over-priced when one
considers what comes with it.
Before Brett starts up the "backing" record, we've established that MS
take precisely zero responsibility for any flaws in the software -
making people no better off than they are with OSS, and considerably
poorer to boot.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sort list doesnt work, key=str still doesnt work notnorwegian@yahoo.se Python 3 05-27-2008 04:32 AM
PC doesnt boot first time and doesnt shutdown dann Computer Support 6 08-21-2006 07:31 AM
trim and pure apparently whitespace strings John A Grandy ASP .Net 2 11-23-2004 03:47 AM
Add attribute - apparently I have to Haydnw ASP .Net 5 08-09-2004 01:00 AM
Problem: JSP apparently not receiving query string from MSIE Charlie Java 0 08-11-2003 07:23 PM



Advertisments