Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon BitStream out in Dunedin?

Orcon BitStream out in Dunedin?

Gurble

Is it just me (and a mate), or is Orcon Bitstream dead in Dunedin at
the moment?

If so, how widespread is the problem? The two connections that appear
to be down are both in the central city.

wogers nemesis

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:02:22 +1300, Gurble wrote:

> Is it just me (and a mate), or is Orcon Bitstream dead in Dunedin at
> the moment?
>
> If so, how widespread is the problem? The two connections that appear
> to be down are both in the central city.

Okay here in Leith Valley.

Gurble

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 21:25:48 +1300, wogers nemesis <(E-Mail Removed)>
had this to say:

>On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:02:22 +1300, Gurble wrote:
>
>> Is it just me (and a mate), or is Orcon Bitstream dead in Dunedin at
>> the moment?
>>
>> If so, how widespread is the problem? The two connections that appear
>> to be down are both in the central city.

>Okay here in Leith Valley.

Actually, it's not Bitstream, but rather the 2Mbit plan.

Anyone on it in Dunedin?

Primergise

About todays problem:

9am:
Telecom have just called to notify us of a "significant outage" to DSL users
in the following RANs: Papatoetoe (POP) RANS 13 & 14, Christchurch (CHC) RAN
12, Riccarton (RIC) RAN 11, Wellington (WLG) RAN 12. DSL customers will not
be able to authenticate via these RANs at present. There is no expected time
to fix as yet. Please call Telecom Wholesale if you're after an update. The
fault number is HNL050270427.

12:29
Telecom Jetstream / BitStream issue
The morning of Thursday 3rd February, 12am, customers may have been
disconnected from the network. The issue is due to Telecom performing an
equipment migration over the country.

Customers affected by this will notice their equipment reporting LCP/PPP
errors or simply failing to authenticate, however they will see that DSL is
still connected.

Telecom does not have an ETA on when this will be fixed, nor will they
provide a list of affected DSLAMS. We do know however they are fixing this
one DSLAM at a time. Not all DSLAMS at an exchange are affected.

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it just me (and a mate), or is Orcon Bitstream dead in Dunedin at
> the moment?
>
> If so, how widespread is the problem? The two connections that appear
> to be down are both in the central city.

Gurble

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:08:23 +1300, "Primergise" <(E-Mail Removed)>
had this to say:

>"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Is it just me (and a mate), or is Orcon Bitstream dead in Dunedin at
>> the moment?
>>
>> If so, how widespread is the problem? The two connections that appear
>> to be down are both in the central city.

>About todays problem:
>
>9am:
>Telecom have just called to notify us of a "significant outage" to DSL users
>in the following RANs: Papatoetoe (POP) RANS 13 & 14, Christchurch (CHC) RAN
>12, Riccarton (RIC) RAN 11, Wellington (WLG) RAN 12. DSL customers will not
>be able to authenticate via these RANs at present. There is no expected time
>to fix as yet. Please call Telecom Wholesale if you're after an update. The
>fault number is HNL050270427.
>
>12:29
>Telecom Jetstream / BitStream issue
>The morning of Thursday 3rd February, 12am, customers may have been
>disconnected from the network. The issue is due to Telecom performing an
>equipment migration over the country.
>
>Customers affected by this will notice their equipment reporting LCP/PPP
>errors or simply failing to authenticate, however they will see that DSL is
>still connected.
>
>Telecom does not have an ETA on when this will be fixed, nor will they
>provide a list of affected DSLAMS. We do know however they are fixing this
>one DSLAM at a time. Not all DSLAMS at an exchange are affected.

Everything was OK until about 8pm tonight, though. I'm not sure if
this is related or not.

Collector»NZ

Gurble said the following on 3/02/2005 11:36 p.m.:

> Everything was OK until about 8pm tonight, though. I'm not sure if
> this is related or not.

Judging by who is posting and whom is not it looks like a NZ wide drop
of ADSL. Makes a change when only dial up is posting here

==>> Followup changed to nz.comp only

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Ryan Jacobs

"Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gurble said the following on 3/02/2005 11:36 p.m.:
>

>> Everything was OK until about 8pm tonight, though. I'm not sure if
>> this is related or not.

> Judging by who is posting and whom is not it looks like a NZ wide drop of
> ADSL. Makes a change when only dial up is posting here

Ummm, but no. ADSL is fine here

Gurble

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:45:16 +1300, "Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>"Collector»NZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gurble said the following on 3/02/2005 11:36 p.m.:
>>

>>> Everything was OK until about 8pm tonight, though. I'm not sure if
>>> this is related or not.

>> Judging by who is posting and whom is not it looks like a NZ wide drop of
>> ADSL. Makes a change when only dial up is posting here
>>

>Ummm, but no. ADSL is fine here

Yeah, Xtra is still up (of course...). Wonder if this is a "marketing"
trick from our friends at Telecom...

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Gurble wrote:
> Is it just me (and a mate), or is Orcon Bitstream dead in Dunedin at
> the moment?
> If so, how widespread is the problem? The two connections that appear
> to be down are both in the central city.

not just Dunedin, in a lot of places.
link between Telecom and Orcon is saturated apparently(from what I have
read/heard), nothing can be done other than sit and wait until
Telecom/Orcon fix it.