Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XPSP2 major flaw found

XPSP2 major flaw found

Dave - Dave.net.nz

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21038

http://www.maxpatrol.com/ptmshorp.asp

seems like a bit of a problem...

Max Burke

Dave - Dave.net.nz scribbled:

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21038
>
> http://www.maxpatrol.com/ptmshorp.asp
>
> seems like a bit of a problem...

<quote>
Positive Technologies has noted that the vulnerability is not critical, but
company president Evgeny Kireev told NewsFactor that XP SP2 has shown that
it does not have absolutely reliable protection.

"This is the issue we would like to stress," Kireev said. "This is one of
the arguments as to why we published the [report]."

The security firm was successful in using the vulnerability in real systems,
but emphasized that it would not be making the details public, since that
could increase the risk that others might use the vulnerability for attacks.

"We are not going to give this information to anybody except Microsoft,"
added Kireev.

<end quote>

[Then there's this:]

"It's highly unusual to see a third-party patch for a vulnerability in an
OS," Secunia security researcher Thomas Kristensen told NewsFactor.
"Downloading and using a patch from a company like Positive Technologies is
not something we would recommend."

The flaw reported by the Russian firm is not considered to be such by
Secunia, Kristensen said.

"This is a known weakness," he noted. "One could argue about what to do with
such weak points in a technology, but to call it a vulnerability would be
incorrect."

http://enterprise-windows-it.newsfac...sk#story-start
<end quote>

Found Images

Lawrence D╣Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Max Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"This is a known weakness," he noted. "One could argue about what to do with
>such weak points in a technology, but to call it a vulnerability would be
>incorrect."

So "weaknesses" are OK, but "vulnerabilities" are not. What else? Are we
going to have "shortcomings" and "imperfections" as well? Perhaps even a
few "peccadilloes" thrown in for good measure?

Subtle Bug Reveals Major Design Flaw rantingrickjohnson@gmail.com Ruby 2 12-25-2012 04:33 AM
DAMN! Found Major Flaw With New D3! Rita ─ Berkowitz Digital Photography 40 01-03-2008 05:03 PM
Outlook TNEF flaw could be much worse than WMF flaw Au79 Computer Support 0 01-13-2006 10:48 PM
Applet Major Flaw Roedy Green Java 4 10-01-2005 07:49 AM
Major Major Problem With ASP.NET kokwooi ASP .Net 6 09-19-2003 08:52 AM

Advertisments