Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot Access one of the computers on home network

Cannot Access one of the computers on home network

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1aW5zOTk=?=

I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a deck
top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can access
the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the labtop
to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the desktop I
receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I have also
IP pinged on both with no problems...
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Steveo

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1aW5zOTk=?=

Just fixed my own problem by going to a site called "winelp.com/wxnet.html"..
My problem was associated with a registry setting named RescrictAnonymous in
the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, value was 1 changed to 0...Fixed my
problem..Hope this may help others.
--
Steveo

"Bruins99" wrote:

> I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a deck
> top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can access
> the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the labtop
> to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the desktop I
> receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
> computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I have also
> IP pinged on both with no problems...
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Steveo

=?Utf-8?B?Y2l0eW5j?=

I'm having a similar problem. I couldn't find the website you referred to.
Where is the registry setting/HKEY LOCAL MACHINE area?

"Bruins99" wrote:

> Just fixed my own problem by going to a site called "winelp.com/wxnet.html"..
> My problem was associated with a registry setting named RescrictAnonymous in
> the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, value was 1 changed to 0...Fixed my
> problem..Hope this may help others.
> --
> Steveo
>

> "Bruins99" wrote:
>
> > I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a deck
> > top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can access
> > the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the labtop
> > to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the desktop I
> > receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> > server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
> > computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I have also
> > IP pinged on both with no problems...
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Steveo

=?Utf-8?B?Y2l0eW5j?=

I found the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, but can't find the RestrictAnonymous
setting. Where is it?

Many thanks!

"Bruins99" wrote:

> Just fixed my own problem by going to a site called "winelp.com/wxnet.html"..
> My problem was associated with a registry setting named RescrictAnonymous in
> the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, value was 1 changed to 0...Fixed my
> problem..Hope this may help others.
> --
> Steveo
>

> "Bruins99" wrote:
>
> > I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a deck
> > top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can access
> > the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the labtop
> > to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the desktop I
> > receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> > server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
> > computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I have also
> > IP pinged on both with no problems...
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Steveo

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Try:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+P, MVP

"citync" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I found the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, but can't find the RestrictAnonymous
> setting. Where is it?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> "Bruins99" wrote:
>
> > Just fixed my own problem by going to a site called

"winelp.com/wxnet.html"..
> > My problem was associated with a registry setting named

RescrictAnonymous in
> > the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, value was 1 changed to 0...Fixed my
> > problem..Hope this may help others.
> > --
> > Steveo
> >

> > "Bruins99" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a

deck
> > > top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can

access
> > > the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the

labtop
> > > to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the

desktop I
> > > receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might

not have
> > > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of

this
> > > server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
> > > computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I

have also
> > > IP pinged on both with no problems...
> > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Steveo

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1aW5zOTk=?=

Sorry about not giving more info..Registry setting is named
RescrictAnonomous. Go to registry editor and change the following registry
value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SYSTEM
\Current ControlSet
\Control
\Lsa
Value name: RescrictAnonymous
Value type: DWORD
Change value to 0.
Reboot and make sure change remained, This should cure the problem.
Appears I typed in the wrong site address.
It's "http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm"
My appologies..Hope this helps.
--
Steveo

"citync" wrote:

> I found the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, but can't find the RestrictAnonymous
> setting. Where is it?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> "Bruins99" wrote:
>
> > Just fixed my own problem by going to a site called "winelp.com/wxnet.html"..
> > My problem was associated with a registry setting named RescrictAnonymous in
> > the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area, value was 1 changed to 0...Fixed my
> > problem..Hope this may help others.
> > --
> > Steveo
> >

> > "Bruins99" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a deck
> > > top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can access
> > > the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the labtop
> > > to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the desktop I
> > > receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might not have
> > > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> > > server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
> > > computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I have also
> > > IP pinged on both with no problems...
> > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Steveo

Socrates

See http://www.amw1.com/faq/error-messages/faqs.htm

"Bruins99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a deck
> top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can access
> the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the labtop
> to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the desktop I
> receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
> computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I have also
> IP pinged on both with no problems...
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Steveo

=?Utf-8?B?bWFtYQ==?=

I, too, have the same problem and have found no RESTRICTANONYMOUS key.Help??

"Socrates" wrote:

> See http://www.amw1.com/faq/error-messages/faqs.htm
>
> "Bruins99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a wireless network setup through a DSL gateway...I have the a deck
> > top(XP Home and setup as host) and a laptop(XP Professional)...I can access
> > the web from both and I can access the files/folders/printer from the labtop
> > to the desktop, but when I attempt to access the laptop from the desktop I
> > receive a message " \\(name of laptop) is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
> > server to find if you have access permissions. Access denied." On both
> > computers the computers are showing up in the workgroup window...I have also
> > IP pinged on both with no problems...
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Steveo

=?Utf-8?B?bWFtYQ==?=

That registry key is for Windows 2003, and the question is about XP Home....