Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS OEM Licensing

MS OEM Licensing

SchoolTech

We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
machines that have no Windows license sticker.

As I understand it, corporates on volume licenses must have a separate
license such as an OEM license for each machine they purchase. Thus it
seems likely that all such machines would have originally had a license
sticker on the case.

I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
mark left on the case). Is this legal? Is there some sort of trade in
these stickers?

Some organisations when selling old machines state that licenses are not
available as they have to be transferred to other machines. It was
easier to do this before machines had to have OEM stickers put on them.
Can organisations on site or volume licenses legally transfer OEM
licenses from old machines to new machines that they buy without the
appropriate license?

Daniel

SchoolTech wrote:
> We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
> machines that have no Windows license sticker.

Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
(unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its' most
probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren┤t too bothered by it.

Contrast TradeMe by the heavy licensing enforced on eBay; mind you when
the BSA come knocking with their lawyers (well-backed financially), one
tends to listen.

Problem with those TradeMe auctions is that they seem to penalise the
buyers with genuine licenses, but, since no-one really is actively
enforcing copyright on TradeMe who is to stop them?

Collector╗NZ

Daniel said the following on 31/01/2005 2:13 p.m.:
> SchoolTech wrote:
>
>> We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
>> machines that have no Windows license sticker.
>>

> Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
> (unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its' most
> probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren┤t too bothered by it.

Selling a machine with no OS when it has previously had an OS dosnt
require that the old license be included. If the OS is included then the
license is required.
Corps can transfer any MS License between machines if they have the
correct Corporate License

| Local 40.9000░S, 174.9830░E |

Daniel

Collector╗NZ wrote:
> Daniel said the following on 31/01/2005 2:13 p.m.:
>
>> SchoolTech wrote:
>>
>>> We have noted that some resellers on Trademe resell ex-corporate
>>> machines that have no Windows license sticker.
>>>

>> Well, it appears that TradeMe turns a blind eye to that sort of thing
>> (unless someone else dobs the offending auction in). Or rather its'
>> most probably Microsoft and the BSA that aren┤t too bothered by it.

> Selling a machine with no OS when it has previously had an OS dosnt
> require that the old license be included. If the OS is included then the
> license is required.
> Corps can transfer any MS License between machines if they have the
> correct Corporate License

Sorry, yes - correct clarification. I was referring to the ones where an
OS is included but no license.

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:54:33 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:

> I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
> license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
> mark left on the case). Is this legal?

Yes - it's legal to remove a sticker from a metal case.

Is it legal for you to use any version of Windows that was originally sold
with that computer? Yes it is - but only with THAT computer.

Does that sticker need to be attached to that computer? No it does not.

What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
another copy of windows.

Divine

--
The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
but this old Queen wants a drink."

Allistar

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:54:33 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:
>
>> I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
>> license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
>> mark left on the case). Is this legal?

> Yes - it's legal to remove a sticker from a metal case.
>
> Is it legal for you to use any version of Windows that was originally sold
> with that computer? Yes it is - but only with THAT computer.
>
> Does that sticker need to be attached to that computer? No it does not.
>
> What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
> the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
> another copy of windows.
>

> Divine

How do you define "that computer"? What if I upgrade the MB and CPU but
leave the rest? Is it still the same computer? What if I change everything
but the MB? Is the the same? If it has the same mouse or poweer cord, is it
the same then?

Allistar.

Collector┬╗NZ

(E-Mail Removed) said the following on 1/02/2005 12:36 a.m.:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:54:33 +1300, SchoolTech wrote:
>

>>I have seen some ex-corporate type machines that have obviously had the
>>license sticker taken off the side of the case (there is a sticker sized
>>mark left on the case). Is this legal?

> Yes - it's legal to remove a sticker from a metal case.
>
> Is it legal for you to use any version of Windows that was originally sold
> with that computer? Yes it is - but only with THAT computer.
>
> Does that sticker need to be attached to that computer? No it does not.
>
> What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
> the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
> another copy of windows.
>

> Divine

Bet I dont need that info to reinstall. Plenty of utilities to extract
the info from the OS reg

| Local 40.9000┬░S, 174.9830┬░E |

Dave - Dave.net.nz

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>How do you define "that computer"? What if I upgrade the MB and CPU but
>>leave the rest? Is it still the same computer? What if I change everything
>>but the MB? Is the the same? If it has the same mouse or poweer cord, is it
>>the same then?

> I mean, one year you could upgrade the RAM and the HDD. The next year you
> could upgrade the video card. The following year you could upgrade the CPU
> to the latest slot A AMD chip. The year after that you could upgrade the
> MOBO. All the while it is still the same computer at the same desk being
> used by the same person. Then the following year you could upgrade the RAM
> and the HDD... et/c

I know that you're gonna love this, but windows would probably balk at
the change in mobo and ask to be re-activated

--
Dave.net.nz
reply addy is (E-Mail Removed)e

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:25:45 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> How do you define "that computer"? What if I upgrade the MB and CPU but
> leave the rest? Is it still the same computer? What if I change everything
> but the MB? Is the the same? If it has the same mouse or poweer cord, is it
> the same then?

Good question.

A little like the man who has only ever had one axe, which has had 7 new
handles and 6 new heads, yet he has still only ever had one axe.

One could postulate that if the license is attached to the case of the
computer, then whatever is put inside the computer is also subject to that
license.

I mean, one year you could upgrade the RAM and the HDD. The next year you
could upgrade the video card. The following year you could upgrade the CPU
to the latest slot A AMD chip. The year after that you could upgrade the
MOBO. All the while it is still the same computer at the same desk being
used by the same person. Then the following year you could upgrade the RAM
and the HDD... et/c

Divine

--
"A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:04:18 +1300, Collector┬╗NZ wrote:

>> What if you want to reinstall Windows onto that computer? Well you need
>> the information on that sticker to do that, otherwise you'll need to buy
>> another copy of windows.

> Bet I dont need that info to reinstall. Plenty of utilities to extract
> the info from the OS reg

....Not if the HDD got trashed. )

Divine

--
"A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"