Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Strange Wireless Network problem

Strange Wireless Network problem

Sarah Kingswell

I have a DLink Wireless Access Point. (DWL-2100AP) which has been working for nearly a year with a wireless laptop client. The laptop has been replaced by a Windows ME Client with a PCI DLink G520 Wireless Adapter. The ME Client is configured with only a Wireless Adapter.

The ME Client can logon to the Windows 2003 Domain over the Wireless Network but after about 1 minute of actually logging into the Windows Domain the ME Client appears to loose the Gateway setting. (Although you can see the gateway setting in TCP\IP properties and if you run IPCONFIG) It is not possible to use the Internet and I cannot ping the Wireless Access Point. Accessing files on the network and browsing all works perfectly. The DLink continues to give a good signal and appears to working okay.

Rebooting the Wireless Access Point is the only way to correct this. After that the ME client will continue to work until the next reboot of the workstation and then I will have to reboot the Wireless Access Point.

Has anyone experienced this? DLink have suggested I upgrade the Firmware which hasn't made any difference. I have tried using static IP or DHCP but again the same problem exists. The gateway setting is set correctly on the ME Client.

WLW

Hi, Sarah -

I have dealt with similar problems and was only able to get rid of them by
upgrading from ME to XP. If you can try this without wasting too much money
in case it does not fix the problem, that would be my suggestion.

--
William L. Whipple
EZine.Com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...